Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I upgrade my UPC subscription? What do you think?

• 07-11-2013 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi all.

I've been with UPC for more than 2 years (Broadband + Phone, although I don't use the phone. In fact, I don't have a phone).
    I was initially paying 40 euros per month for 25Mbps, which was kind of the standard at that time. Over the time I was automatically upgraded to 30Mbps, and the price has increased a couple of times.
    At this stage I'm paying 44 euros a month for 30Mbps/3Mbps, Phone+Broadband, but as I said I don't use the phone.

Now, is this the best I can get for that price? I've checked the website and they have crazy speeds now for less money. I've been thinking to upgrade to this one: http://www.upc.ie/broadbandandphone/50Mb-Fibre-Broadband-Chat/

50Mbps is certainly more than I need, in fact 30 is more than enough too, but there are other reasons why I would like to upgrade:
    -Unlimited data, right? vs 500GB that I have now.
    -The most important: new router. I have a cisco that's really bad, I can't even put it in bridge mode which I would like to do because I have my own wireless router. Also the ethernet ports are 100Mbps. It's really old.
    -I would pay less? As far as I can see this is true too.
    -Of course more speed. Not that I need it, but it's there.

So, are there any disadvantages? How would I go about this? I have the right to cancel at any time now. Would this change? Will I get a new router? Are there any hidden costs?

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Upgrading won't provide a bridge mode and you will be in a new 12 month contract if you upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mariotr87

I've seen posts around the forum explaining how to set certain routers in bridge mode. Have they taken away this possibility from all of them completely?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 dmannix

Why dont you cancel every thing as theres no cancellation fee. Then take out a new contract taking advantage of all the new stuff. One year contract is the only issue.

I did this and just used wifes name for new account. Used fatcheese to order and am due 115 euro cash back into paypal also. win win win

Advertisement