Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debit vs Credit

Options
  • 07-11-2013 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭

Going to the states for two weeks, which card gives better rates for cash withdrawl from ATM's?
    If I pre load my credit card so that it has a positive balance there is no cash withdrawl fee, is that correct for all BOI credit cards?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hi dobsdave

Thanks for your post.

You are correct, you do not have to pay cross border fees on your Credit Card providing your Credit Card is already in credit.

Please note, the Credit Card must in credit at the time the actual transaction processes on your Card.

There is a cross border charge when using your Visa Debit Card in the US.

You can check these charges on Page 11 of our schedule and fees brochure here

You may already be aware of this, but just to mention both cards require you to give notice prior to travelling.

You can call our Credit Card Team on 0818 251 251 or 00353 5677 57747 from abroad.

For your Visa Debit Card please call Bank of Ireland 365 on 0818 365 365 or 0035314044000 from abroad.

Representatives will be happy to place the travel notification on your account.

I hope this response answers your questions, if you need further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us here again.

Thanks
    Alison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Thanks Alison,

Regarding rates,( as in USD/EUR) which card gives the better conversion?
    I think the credit card was better than the debit, but cant remember.

Hi dobsdave 

Regrettably, we cannot offer advice on the exchange rates as it is not Bank of Ireland determining the rate.

The rates are applied by Visa/ MasterCard. Current exchange rates can be checked on their websites.

Just to mention, the rate of exchange is not card specific, i.e. Visa Applies the same rate to Visa to both Visa Debit and Visa Credit Card. 

I hope this information helps.

Thanks
    Alison 

Hi dobsdave 

I was just looking back over part of the information I posted earlier and unfortunately some of this was incorrect. Sincere apologies for this.

Credit Cards do apply a cross border handling fee, please see details here 

Providing the Credit Card is in credit, there will be no cash advance fee withdrawing cash from the ATM.

Apologies for the misleading information.

Thanks 
    Alison 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

"You may already be aware of this, but just to mention both cards require you to give notice prior to travelling."
    See post by Alison, BOI representative, above.

I can see that it would make sense to advise the bank that one is travelling abroad, but was not aware that it was a requirement, as per your comment above. Can you clarify please? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭billbond4

Also be aware if your credit card gets stolen,the money you have "loaded" onto your credit card isn't covered by credit card insurance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi LynnGrace, 

Many thanks for your post.

While it is not a condition that you advise the bank of travel arrangements, we would always recommend contacting us to let us know if you will be using any of your cards abroad. This way a note can be placed on your account to avoid any potential disruption to your service while using the cards abroad.

Thanks

Billy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Thanks Billy. You will note that your colleague Alison stated that it was 'required'., which is incorrect. As per my previous comment, I understand that it makes sense to advise a card provider that the cardholder will be travelling but it is not a 'requirement'.

Advertisement