Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to know......BTH

Options
  • 07-11-2013 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

New week, new victim:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

On average, what proportion of your time in the pool would you say is spent chatting at the wall?

Favourite swim set?

Goals for next year?

What club are you going to go with when you move out West?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Who is Hoyte? I always assumed in was Justin Hoyte?

What has been the biggest reason for your swim improvement (from a year or so back?) Or even three biggest reasons, I know there's no silver bullet..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

On average, what proportion of your time in the pool would you say is spent chatting at the wall?

Favourite swim set?

Goals for next year?

What club are you going to go with when you move out West?

1 - Eh, yeah, I blame gilleek2 entirely for this. I get more done when he's not around!! :D

2 - I did a set of 25*100 off 1:42 (CSS at the time plus 10sec), and I hit 1:30 or lower for all of them, and felt I could have gone on to 30. Just checking back, it was late December last year. Oh how I'd love to be back at that level :(

3 - Goals for next year are to find employment and a house in Galway, in that order. Once thats done I can start looking at races and the calender, but I intend on having another decent showing in the NS whatever format it takes next year.

4 - I'm joining GoTri. There, its out there now.. Not sure how I'm going to incorporate the 3D spiral onto the trisuit though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

- Why are you moving to the undeveloped west?

- how long are you in tri now?

- do you enjoy modding the forum?

Basster wrote: »
    Who is Hoyte? I always assumed in was Justin Hoyte?

What has been the biggest reason for your swim improvement (from a year or so back?) Or even three biggest reasons, I know there's no silver bullet..

Yup its a nod to this legend.

Swim improvement? Winter 2011 I swam 4 times a week. Winter 2012 the same. This winter the same other than when I'm in Argentina in December. Over 10k a week most weeks. So a combination of time and hard hard work. You been to an Interested swim session yet? And I'm not on about those drills and kicking sessions towards the end of the summer. I mean his hard winter sessions. Winter 2011 was also when he started taking club sessions and everyone in the club has improved a massive amount since.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Do you hate being called Ginger?

Have you any aspirations to go long in a few years?

Sprint or Oly, what distance do you feel you race best at?

Any plans to build some muscle into those girly arms of yours?

Dream bike & setup (money no object)?

S/B/R - strongest to weakest for you?

mloc123 wrote: »
    - Why are you moving to the undeveloped west?

- how long are you in tri now?

- do you enjoy modding the forum?

1 - I fcuking hate Dublin and always have. I'm a country boy at heart.

2 - First taste was a relay in 2009, first solo race was in May 2010. It was a disaster. Its been a steep learning curve!

3 - When Tunney and Elvis ignore each other its a very handy gig :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Would you rather be ginger or short?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

1 (a) Whitest man in Irish tri, you or tunney?
    1 (b) How did you manage when the sun came out this summer?

2. Tubs or clinchers?

3. 2 piece or 1 piece?

4. Standalone marathon time?

5. Justin Hoyte - closet Gooner?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

National Champs (oly) : How highly do you think you can place?

• Advertisement

Do you hate being called Ginger?

Have you any aspirations to go long in a few years?

Sprint or Oly, what distance do you feel you race best at?

Any plans to build some muscle into those girly arms of yours?

Dream bike & setup (money no object)?

S/B/R - strongest to weakest for you?

1 - Do you hate being called short? I am ginger, why would I give a sh1t :P

2 - I'm still on the fence. I don't think I could go long for the sake of it, I would have certain targets, ambitious targets, that I'd want to feel I can achieve before I'd put in that level of effort. I reckon by the time I'm in that shape (2015 at the earliest, but more likely 2016) I'll have been married 2/3 years and there is likely to be a little ginger dominating a lot of my training time.

3 - I reckon Oly. I train for Oly, my Oly and Sprint paces are very similar on the bike and run. The fastest avg speed I've held on the bike was in a 44km Oly course, and I've rarely come close on a sprint course. I'm just a little one paced for sprints.

4 - Oh how I've tried!! Ok, I haven't tried that much, but I'm always going to be a stick insect and I'm happy with that.

5 - Scott Plasma Premium, throw on an SRM and that'd do nicely :D

6 - Historically B-R-S. In 2013 B-S-R. I missed most of the winter running, and then again in the early summer. So in the last 12 months I've only run half what I ran the previous 12 months, and my running is very weak as a result. Bike was strong the first time I sat in the saddle.

tunney wrote: »
    Would you rather be ginger or short?

Ginger everytime :D;)

Izoard wrote: »
    1 (a) Whitest man in Irish tri, you or tunney?
    1 (b) How did you manage when the sun came out this summer?

2. Tubs or clinchers?

3. 2 piece or 1 piece?

4. Standalone marathon time?

5. Justin Hoyte - closet Gooner?

1 - a) Me, its no contest. Trust me on this!!
    - b) I took the summer off and got my tonsils taken out instead. :)

2 - I race on Tubs but I'd have to think long and hard about whether I'd go down the same route again.

3 - 1 piece

4 - Never done one. 1:25 in a half that I was disappointed with though.

5 - Nothing closet about it. Ian Wright was my hero as a nipper. The cups double in 93, Copenhagen 94, Nayim 95, good times (well, mostly)!!

tunney wrote: »
    National Champs (oly) : How highly do you think you can place?

I see no reason I couldn't have sneaked into the top ten this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

BTH wrote: »
    1 - a) Me, its no contest. Trust me on this!!
    - b) I took the summer off and got my tonsils taken out instead. :)

2 - I race on Tubs but I'd have to think long and hard about whether I'd go down the same route again.

3 - 1 piece

4 - Never done one. 1:25 in a half that I was disappointed with though.

5 - Nothing closet about it. Ian Wright was my hero as a nipper. The cups double in 93, Copenhagen 94, Nayim 95, good times (well, mostly)!!

Excellent - you've gone way up in my estimation...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Sporting background?
    Do you watch much tv?
    Best sporting achievement?
    Best non sporting achievement?
    Where do you see yourself in ten years?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Welcome West BTH. :cool:

Do you think not having those key swim sessions with MW will impact on your swimming?
    Now that you've had your tonsils removed, are all you sickness issues behind you?
    How disappointing have the last 8 years been for you? :D
    What are your interests outside of tri?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

4 - I'm joining GoTri. There, its out there now.. Not sure how I'm going to incorporate the 3D spiral onto the trisuit though :D

So your becoming a go tri ho :) Fair play they seem to really know their shi* and get the results to back it up.

Are they based in limerick/Ennis though? How is that going to work out with u in Galway? Will you make any of their sessions or just follow one of their plans?

B

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Do you still have my pink dumbbells?
    Have you ever used tan in a can?
    Most memorable session interested has ever put you through?
    Mental strength or physical strength - which of these is your biggest weapon in training and in a race?
    Biggest "what if....?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

How far can you swim underwater holding your breath?
    What would you change in Triathlon in Ireland, given the chance?
    Whats your favourite number?
    One OW swim, one swim partner; where and who?
    Best ever run?
    Did you ever see Interested fall on his arse on the pool side? (I just know theres a story here...)

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    Sporting background?
    Do you watch much tv?
    Best sporting achievement?
    Best non sporting achievement?
    Where do you see yourself in ten years?

1 - I played a lot of soccer. Sunday League from the age of 16 first in Meath and District league, then Leinster Senior league with DCU and then another team in Rathfarnham before moving back to Longford and playing Combined Counties League there. Played in two Collingwood Cups (InterVarsities) for DCU in 2002 and 2003 *ahem* DCU player of the tournament in 2003 *ahem* :D Started as a Striker, finished in centre midfield with the majority in-between at left wing or left back.

2 - No, and the little time I would have for TV, the remote has already been commandeered :) I got a bit of a slagging recently on twitter from AKW and Gibbo for admitting I've never seen an episode of Breaking Bad. You can add The Wire, Sopranos, West Wing, and a whole host of others that I've never heard of to that list. You name it, I haven't seen it.

3 - Probably the 2003/2004 season with DCU. I was finished studying there but still playing for the Sunday League team, and we won the league and cup going undefeated all season, save for two games in the two national cup competitions both against Raheny United who at the time were something like 8 divisions ahead of us and we gave them a right scare too. We played some cracking football that year.

4 - Difficult one... finding an amazing woman willing to put up with me forever?

5 - With a couple of kids and a garden. Right now I'd settle for that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I got a bit of a slagging recently on twitter from AKW and Gibbo for admitting I've never seen an episode of Breaking Bad. You can add The Wire, Sopranos, West Wing, and a whole host of others that I've never heard of to that list. You name it, I haven't seen it.

For clarity, I have seen maybe one or two episodes of Sopranos myself and none of the others you mentioned. It may have been Homeland we were slagging about.

But there in lies the reason you're a better athlete than me :D

pgibbo wrote: »
    Welcome West BTH. :cool:

Do you think not having those key swim sessions with MW will impact on your swimming?
    Now that you've had your tonsils removed, are all you sickness issues behind you?
    How disappointing have the last 8 years been for you? :D
    What are your interests outside of tri?

Cheers Paul, looking forward to the move :)

- Presuming I can't find a swim group in Galway who will push me hard on a weekly basis then my swimming may suffer a little. However, I have learned how to really suffer and work hard in the pool in the last 2 years, something I didn't do before, and I believe I can push myself to an extent. Theres a weekly Saturday morning swim in Shannon which I would hope to be able to make every second or third week so that would hopefully keep me on my toes too.

- I wish. I also suffer badly with sinus issues and have some food intolerances. I'm trying to find the cause of both, and should have a better idea soon. After that its just the incurable gingevitus.

- It can be very frustrating alright. What odds on Arsenal crashing out of league contention, the FA cup and the champions league in the space of 10 days in March? Its like deja-vu all over again. So much hope, so much failure. But how many other clubs haven't won anything in that time. I remember when Bruce Rioch was manager and getting excited about signing John Hartson and Chris Kiwomya on the same day, so watching the likes of Ozil and Cazorla on the few occasions I do watch a match aint so bad.

- I had my wedding reception in a vineyard in La Rioja, so I enjoy a glass of vino tinto every now and again. :D So much of our time recently has been directed towards the wedding, and now the honeymoon, that there hasn't been much time for other interests.

So your becoming a go tri ho :) Fair play they seem to really know their shi* and get the results to back it up.

Are they based in limerick/Ennis though? How is that going to work out with u in Galway? Will you make any of their sessions or just follow one of their plans?

B

They do monthly-ish weekend training camps, so I'd hope to hit those and if I get down for one other weekend swim each month then I'll be getting a good bit of feedback. Other than swimming I've essentially been training alone for two years, so I know I can push myself enough to do so.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Do you still have my pink dumbbells?
    Have you ever used tan in a can?
    Most memorable session interested has ever put you through?
    Mental strength or physical strength - which of these is your biggest weapon in training and in a race?
    Biggest "what if....?"

- We're packing up for the move at the moment and they're safely tucked away in a box along with my favourite swim togs :)

- I can safely say no I haven't, nor have I been tempted.

- Had to search back through the log for this one, but it was 5*(4*50 on 50, 2*100 on 1:30) Friday 9th November 2012. I'll never forget it!! I was leading out the lane, and it was impossible, missing repeat times all over the shop before he put an end to the mayhem after 3 of the 5 sets.

- Given my little girl arms its probably not physical strength :)

- What if I'd fallen for the cycling 20 years earlier when my dad tried to get me into it. What if I didn't buy that fcuking house in 2006/7 thats costing me over 1k a month and I'm not able to live in it. But with either decision I wouldn't be where I am today so maybe I've been better off.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    How far can you swim underwater holding your breath?
    What would you change in Triathlon in Ireland, given the chance?
    Whats your favourite number?
    One OW swim, one swim partner; where and who?
    Best ever run?
    Did you ever see Interested fall on his arse on the pool side? (I just know theres a story here...)

- I haven't tried in years, but I can defo do a length of a 25m pool.

- I have no major problems with TI, but something I've heard recently was that the juniors on the development squad had to buy their own trisuits to race at euro champs and the like, which is crazy. Fair enough us AGers, Kevin Thornton, Matt Molloy, whoever decides to race AG champs has to buy their own suits, but the likes of Con Doherty and Emma Sharkey shouldn't have to buy the gear to represent Ireland.

- Less interesting than your answer, but 10, because the greatest player to ever play in the premier league wore number 10 (Izoard knows :) )

- Its gotta be Dory Dory in Dring shore Lough Gowna :)

- Best run (race) was a 10k in March last year. I was in decent shape, but had never run sub 40. I knew I would run sub 40 that day, and expected a 38:xx, but I went out and shattered that with a 36:11 which was completely unexpected, by either me or my coach. Best training run was a misty morning out in Howth one weekend last year when I had the trails all to myself before they became crowded with tourists. Twas magic, and makes me wish I lived closer to wicklow to better avail of the mountain routes there.

- Why yes I did. How did you know? Not much of a story, think it was the first session back in October, and he was walking along the pool deck when the two feet flew out from under him and he landed hard on his arse. Obviously, first concerns were whether he was injured (other than his pride), but it was difficult not to burst out laughing :) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Did you find it hard getting a job out west? Or for that matter what do you do?

Theres no way you could go out thinking you'd run a 38 minute 10k and then knock out a 36 min 10k, other than that whats the biggest porkie you've ever told?

Favourite book?

Did Lee Harvary Oswald act alone?

What would your patronus be?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Is it the Dutch maestro that wore number 10? He was a dream to watch if it was :cool: Pure class - not often a Spurs fan would say that about a Gooner!!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

pgibbo wrote: »
    Is it the Dutch maestro that wore number 10? He was a dream to watch if it was :cool: Pure class - not often a Spurs fan would say that about a Gooner!!!! :pac:

I am guessing it is more this man myself!

perry1.jpg

Might as well ask my questions while I am in!

From house hunting in Galway - what training are you looking forward to in the new year, cycle to Connemara, running down the prom, swimming in the bay?
    You will do well in local events in Galway - the 3 G's I suppose will be your biggest competition - any targeted races for a win?
    Favorite male and female ginger?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If you had €1000 to do a single act of kindness, what would it be?

Advertisement