Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to know......BTH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Have you ever drafted in a race? if so did you feel guilty after it?

If you could change 1 rule in tri what would it be and why??

who do you admire most in Triathlon (professional {not tunney} )

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

How did you get into triathlon? Just decide to give it a shot after doing the relay?
    Which discipline do you enjoy the most?
    Favourite run session?
    Favourite long bike route in Ireland?
    Dream bike?
    Any overseas races you'd like to do?
    Can you count without a calculator?
    How long before you start catching up to Fazz again?
    Do you have any big goals in Triathlon/one of the disciplines in particular?
    Favourite flavour of crisps?
    Are you praying the M doesn't have any ginger genes so that there's a chance your offspring won't be afflicted with your ill fate?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Best scalp to date?
    Scalp you want?
    What scares you?
    What have you ever stolen?
    Tunney vs Jackyback vs Pgibbo in a 3m springboard diving contest. Your winner and their attempted dive?
    Swim an interested set naked or live in Dublin for 10 more years?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Green&Red wrote: »
    Did you find it hard getting a job out west? Or for that matter what do you do?

Theres no way you could go out thinking you'd run a 38 minute 10k and then knock out a 36 min 10k, other than that whats the biggest porkie you've ever told?

Favourite book?

Did Lee Harvary Oswald act alone?

What would your patronus be?

- I haven't actually got a job yet, but I'm an accountant, qualified 7 years so it shouldn't take too long. My wife was the problem, shes a solicitor, and she's applied for every job outside of Dublin for the last 18 months.

- It was a big surprise alright. I'd just spend the winter being told to slow down slow down, then did some moderately hard work in January and February but nothing majorly difficult so it was a big surprise. And I never lie :D

- I don't read as much as I used to but one that always stands out was Star of the Sea by Joseph O'Connor. In saying that, I'm a numbers person, never much of a reader anyway.

- Not much of a history buff either, so I know very little about the story, and don't really care one way or the other

- Google tells me this is about Harry Potter? I don't know..

pgibbo wrote: »
    Is it the Dutch maestro that wore number 10? He was a dream to watch if it was :cool: Pure class - not often a Spurs fan would say that about a Gooner!!!! :pac:

Thats the man. Genius. I'll never forget the day I heard he signed. I was 13, on holiday in France, and I was convinced that the lad who told me was taking the piss. Couldn't believe it.

• Advertisement

catweazle wrote: »
    I am guessing it is more this man myself!

perry1.jpg

Might as well ask my questions while I am in!

From house hunting in Galway - what training are you looking forward to in the new year, cycle to Connemara, running down the prom, swimming in the bay?
    You will do well in local events in Galway - the 3 G's I suppose will be your biggest competition - any targeted races for a win?
    Favorite male and female ginger?

Between Perry and Ray The Romford Pele there were plently of ginger heros at Arsenal in the early 90s :)

Once the move to Galway was confirmed I started following the local clubs on twitter and facebook. Tríspórt posted weekly messages about swimming in the sea at Spiddal followed by a jog. That really whet the appetite.

3 Gs?? Guessing at Geraghty, Grealish and Giblin (not in that order ;) )? Haven't really looked at the local races yet, but the local one to my home place in Longford is one I'd hope to be able to do next year. I was very disappointed to miss it this year.

Ah, thats not fair, theres so many to chose from. Ray Parlour, Mick Hucknall, Axl Rose, Boris Becker, Chuck Norris, Ed Sheeran, The Gooch, Geri Halliwell, Isla Fisher, Kate Winslet, Lindsay Lohan, Nicole Kidman. Take your pick :cool:

Oryx wrote: »
    If you had €1000 to do a single act of kindness, what would it be?

Eh, eh, eh, I'm not really sure. I'd either donate it to Claralara Coombe fundraising for the marathon, or my Dad and Brother take part in this every year so I'd donate to that either. I know, boring!![

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I wish!!!! It's Greaney, not Giblin!!!! :D

Trig1 wrote: »
    Have you ever drafted in a race? if so did you feel guilty after it?

If you could change 1 rule in tri what would it be and why??

who do you admire most in Triathlon (professional {not tunney} )

- I did a little in my first race, and I didn't feel guilty back then because I didn't know any better. Therein lies the problem with drafting. Beginners don't know enough about it.

- I would enforce smaller waves at races which would make policing drafting much easier.

- Hahahahaha, admire Tunney, hahahah!!! Brilliant :) To be honest, I don't pay any great attention to the pro side of the sport. There was a thread knocking around here before Kona where people were predicting winners and podiums etc. While I've heard of all these people I know very little about any of them, nor who the main challengers are expected to be. I suppose I've always supported Gomez against the Brownlees, but not really sure why..

How did you get into triathlon? Just decide to give it a shot after doing the relay?
    Which discipline do you enjoy the most?
    Favourite run session?
    Favourite long bike route in Ireland?
    Dream bike?
    Any overseas races you'd like to do?
    Can you count without a calculator?
    How long before you start catching up to Fazz again?
    Do you have any big goals in Triathlon/one of the disciplines in particular?
    Favourite flavour of crisps?
    Are you praying the M doesn't have any ginger genes so that there's a chance your offspring won't be afflicted with your ill fate?

- I got the call to do that relay the night before the race. I'd kinda been looking for something different to do and marathons didn't interest me. After the race I decided to come back the following year and attempt to beat the relay team time.

- Definitely the biking, but I do enjoy all three, sometimes :p

- Run session were generally kept fairly simple, but my weekly "long" run was usually a bit more interesting. wu, 6*10sec hill sprint, 6*30 sec hill sprint, 40min easy 40min moderate, and easy to finish. Tough, but very satisfying!

- 3D do a trip in early March, usually to Courtown but last year to Carlow, and our resident expert always comes up with a great bike route on the way down. This was last years route down, a great spin, and tasty pints after (a prerequisite of a good spin!!). The routes are always so complicated that we need to upload them to the garmin before setting off or we will get lost.

- Gotta say, the bike I bought last winter is pretty much it. Shes a beaut

- Alpe D'Huez long course is top of that list anyway.

- I can, ish, but its easier with a calculator or excel. :o

- With the hours and volume Fazz is putting in I think I'd need a "medical program" to get back ahead of him :D

- I know I've only realistically one or two more years that I can dedicate 15+hours a week to triathlon, so I just want to be as good as I can for that time and see where that takes me. I reckon I'll still race after that, but it'll have to be off less training. Rough run targets of sub 17, sub 35 & sub 80, which I would hope to do in the next 18 months and reassess then.

- You can bring out all the fancy flavours you like, but cheese and onion wins most of the time. Two exceptions are the Walkers Sensations Caramelised Onion and Balsamic Vinegar or the Thai Sweet Chilli ones.

- M has a very ginger brother, and a very dark sister, so there is quite a mix of genes in there. Odds of a ginger child is very high, and she really wants a ginger daughter.

• Advertisement

Best scalp to date?
    Scalp you want?
    What scares you?
    What have you ever stolen?
    Tunney vs Jackyback vs Pgibbo in a 3m springboard diving contest. Your winner and their attempted dive?
    Swim an interested set naked or live in Dublin for 10 more years?

- I was very pleased to finally beat Dave Cahill, a number of times last year. He was getting a bit big for his boots within the club :cool: It was a nice feeling to cruise past my new coach in Dunmore East last year (no matter how unfit he was) and beating Matt Coughlan at CK was another I was very happy with at the time.

- Thats a much longer list. Take your pick from 16th in this years NS upwards. Pretty sure I've beaten everyone below that.

- I don't think anything really scares me, but I do worry about things. Like right now my biggest concern is how long its going to take me to find a new job when we come back in January.

- My dad was a Garda, so the worst I've ever stolen was some stationery from work

- Tunney is obviously going for a bomber, which will leave the water level too low for anyone else to have a go, making him the winner by default. :cool:

- I think swimming naked would be more of a punishment for others than for me :P Interested will be very happy I don't tumble turn though :cool:

Speaking of which, I'm down your direction this weekend. Anywhere good for grub on Saturday evening?

I wish!!!! It's Greaney, not Giblin!!!! :D

Don't be so modest P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

To be honest, I don't pay any great attention to the pro side of the sport. There was a thread knocking around here before Kona where people were predicting winners and podiums etc. While I've heard of all these people I know very little about any of them, nor who the main challengers are expected to be. I suppose I've always supported Gomez against the Brownlees, but not really sure why..

Why do you think tri is a participation sport, where it is about finishing and in soccer its all about the premier league? Did you ever see formula 1 triathlon races and did you think they could be as exciting as a soccer game or you say na no chance?

if you buy a bike how do you decide what you want do you look for fit,what your friends use do you look what the tri pros use the cycling pros ride etc?

peter kern wrote: »

Why do you think tri is a participation sport, where it is about finishing and in soccer its all about the premier league? Did you ever see formula 1 triathlon races and did you think they could be as exciting as a soccer game or you say na no chance?

if you buy a bike how do you decide what you want do you look for fit,what your friends use do you look what the tri pros use the cycling pros ride etc?

I've always been more of a participant than a spectator. I've a bit of a short attention span, so that doesn't help. Even 10/12 years ago, I'd much prefer to be playing football than watching it and outside the likes of the world cup I wouldn't watch a match Arsenal weren't playing in.

Triathlon, isn't the best spectator sport. Long distance is just boring to watch. ITU less so but its still not great. In the same way the marathon or the 1500m freestyle in the olympics aren't going to be watched by people with very little knowledge of the sport. Similarly, the majority stages of the tour are only worth watching for the last 30 minutes. 15 years ago I stopped watching Irish soccer matchs too, as they were painfully boring to watch. Not much has improved there either.

I've never seen a formula one tri race, but I'm familiar with the format. While its interesting, I don't see it ever really taking off.

Now that I know more about bikes, fit is the most important thing. Followed by value. I bought a TT bike based on value, and had the frame upgraded free of charge due to a fault. It may not be the best fit for me, but its still workable, and it was a good deal. My road bike is a good fit and was great value, difficult to turn down value.

How do you spend your 15+ hours of training on a typical week?
    How do you train - pace/HR/Power/time/feel?
    How do you race -pace/HR/Power/time/feel?
    Are you good at suffering - pain cave type suffering?
    Do you pay much attention to nutrition?
    How important is recovery to your training?
    When you step back from the larger training loads in a few years, will you keep racing or will being away from the pointy end deter you?
    Any interest in becoming a coach?
    What's your favourite meal?
    What 5 people (dead or alive) would you invite to dinner?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Being a ginger, what color clothing do you feel you look best in?
    Do you have any race day superstitions or rituals?
    Why were you so late getting to McGrattans and what did you drink while there?
    If you could race one person on boards in any race, any distance, any venue, any time of year...then who, what, how far, where, when.....and why? Also, what would your strategy be to beat that person in that race?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Is it the Dutch maestro that wore number 10? He was a dream to watch if it was :cool: Pure class - not often a Spurs fan would say that about a Gooner!!!! :pac:

Not to be confused with Van Purse Strings, who also donned the # 10.

However, surely he was referring to the gift that keeps giving (Sky Sports Saturday...), Merse?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

BTH wrote: »
    Thats the man. Genius. I'll never forget the day I heard he signed. I was 13, on holiday in France, and I was convinced that the lad who told me was taking the piss. Couldn't believe it.

The greatest Arsenal player ever. I'll never forget that hattrick against Leicester.

Nice to see that you're part of that extensive grouping of Arsenal-supporting lanky redhead triathletes... :D

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

*There will be no mention of hair colour in this post.

Savoury or sweet tooth?
    Have you or would you ever wear a onesie?
    Do you think WTC is a wonderful institution or a moneymaking racket?
    Which side of the bed do you sleep on?

How do you spend your 15+ hours of training on a typical week?
    How do you train - pace/HR/Power/time/feel?
    How do you race -pace/HR/Power/time/feel?
    Are you good at suffering - pain cave type suffering?
    Do you pay much attention to nutrition?
    How important is recovery to your training?
    When you step back from the larger training loads in a few years, will you keep racing or will being away from the pointy end deter you?
    Any interest in becoming a coach?
    What's your favourite meal?
    What 5 people (dead or alive) would you invite to dinner?

- 4 hours swim, 9 hours bike, 4.5-5 hours run. That how I'd been splitting it of last with 4 swims, 4 bikes and 5 runs.
    - train by HR
    - race by feel
    - I can suffer better in the pool than biking or running. I can suffer on the turbo, but its just never the same. Running, I'm always more worried about an injury. For me, running gains are all about volume. There will be a point when that ceases to be the case, but for the foreseeable future volume will see me make big improvements.
    - I eat well and I eat often. I don't like ordering in food, preferring home cooked, but I've always been like that so its not a triathlon obsession. I'm very lucky to be married to a great cook who prefers cooking to washing up!!
    - Recovery is everything and this past week or so I'm really starting to notice the mayhem of our recent weekends catching up on me. Between weddings, stags, Michelle house hunting, packing, moving stuff to Longford, and training, I haven't had a relaxing weekend afternoon in god knows how long and I badly need one.
    - I'd like to think I'll be able to be happy with my lot and keep racing. I'll probably race less, I'll probably target specific races for the nights out/meeting old clubmates, but I'd hope to be able to keep racing. I've always been very active, so I'll keep doing something to keep the weight off ;)
    - I'm not a coach and I never will be. I think it takes a certain kind of person and I'm not that person. In the same way I was never the right person to captain any football team I played for. I know is wouldn't be the right step for me.
    - Bacon, pine-nut & balsamic vinegar salad. A leg of lamb that melts when you put it in your mouth (Michelle doesn't like lamb so its a rarity). Pavlova with cream and fruit for desert. And there would have to be a Tempranillo on the table too. Where in Galway can help me out?? :cool:
    - These are the kind of question my lack of imagination always struggles with. I'd much prefer dinner with a group of close friends than a bunch of egos from history!

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Being a ginger, what color clothing do you feel you look best in?
    Do you have any race day superstitions or rituals?
    Why were you so late getting to McGrattans and what did you drink while there?
    If you could race one person on boards in any race, any distance, any venue, any time of year...then who, what, how far, where, when.....and why? Also, what would your strategy be to beat that person in that race?

- My wardrobe is full of blue, and other shades of blue. I'm not the most adventurous of dressers.
    - Other than porridge for breakfast and a couple of trips to the loo, no, I'm not particularly superstitious. This season I have started listening to Man in the Mirror just before getting out of the car though :rolleyes:
    - Last weekend I was at my brothers stag, so I used the bank holiday to squeeze in some extra training that I would miss at the stag. I was in the pool for 8am and a 4k swim, followed by a 60k spin and a 14k run in the park. In McGrattans I enjoyed some lovely pints of Guinness with Kurt, Bambatta, Izoard, Racoon, Shotgun, and Krusty.
    - I'd race Bambatta when hes carrying his winter weight and hungover. Might be my only chance!!

Izoard wrote: »
    Not to be confused with Van Purse Strings, who also donned the # 10.

However, surely he was referring to the gift that keeps giving (Sky Sports Saturday...), Merse?:)

So many greats :cool:

ronanmac wrote: »
    The greatest Arsenal player ever. I'll never forget that hattrick against Leicester.

Nice to see that you're part of that extensive grouping of Arsenal-supporting lanky redhead triathletes... :D

Beautiful.

There does seem to be a thing about Irish redheads supporting Arsenal alright.

*There will be no mention of hair colour in this post.

Savoury or sweet tooth?
    Have you or would you ever wear a onesie?
    Do you think WTC is a wonderful institution or a moneymaking racket?
    Which side of the bed do you sleep on?

- Each has their place, but Michelle would tell you I definitely have a sweet tooth
    - Someone is feeding you outside information. :mad: Yes, I have worn a onesie. And it was this year. In public. :o
    - Money making racket. The concept is good. It wouldn't be where it is if it wasn't. But sport doesn't interest those making the decisions anymore. Its all about money.
    - Behave... I sleep on the right ;)

I had an amazing shoulder of lamb in Blakes (on Eglinton St) last weekend. Food in there was excellent for the 3 of us - O had a lovely fish dish & Finn had a bit of meat & fish :D The peanut butter parfait was damn good too :cool:

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

- Someone is feeding you outside information. :mad: Yes, I have worn a onesie. And it was this year. In public. :o
    Pure fluke of a question. I had no idea. But now I know there's a story there!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ask him what colour...

I'm very skeptical.
    Ask him what colour...

Bring back the old days. Back then what goes on stag stays on stag. :mad: Stupid facebook etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

-

Speaking of which, I'm down your direction this weekend. Anywhere good for grub on Saturday evening?

Depends what you are into really. My picks

Pricey but delish/good early birds
    The Hamptons bar & grill
    The Cornstore
    The French Table

Bit Cheaper
    Bella Italia
    Chocolat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

....the cornstore....definitely!!

Advertisement