Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to know......BTH

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Depends what you are into really. My picks

Pricey but delish/good early birds
    The Hamptons bar & grill
    The Cornstore
    The French Table

Bit Cheaper
    Bella Italia
    Chocolat

Sitting in the hamptons. This better be good cos I'm bloody starving.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

In the spirit of the thread, what are you having?

Oryx wrote: »
    In the spirit of the thread, what are you having?

BBQ ribs for starter, and "bang bang chicken" :)

BTH wrote: »
    BBQ ribs for starter, and "bang bang chicken" :)

Sounds like you have to kill the chicken!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

-"Eugene, put away your phone and enjoy your chicken, this is supposed to be a romantic evening"
    -"I can't sweetie, there are Boardsies Getting to know me..."
    -"Put away the f£$@ing phone or I know someone who won't be getting to know you..."

• Advertisement

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    -"Eugene, put away your phone and enjoy your chicken, this is supposed to be a romantic evening"
    -"I can't sweetie, there are Boardsies Getting to know me..."
    -"Put away the f£$@ing phone or I know someone who won't be getting to know you..."

Flying solo. I am in limerick, my wife is in galway. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Flying solo. I am in limerick, my wife is in galway. :)

In that case may I recommend Buddy's Bar, followed by a visit to Pinky Downey's*

*details may be 20-50 years out of date

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Hi BTH,

1) 4 s/4 B/5 R - how does a typical week look then?
    2) You used to suffer from cold conditions, would you advice others that also suffer from the cold to avoid racing (tri) in Ire for the month of May?
    3) Do you know what races you will definitely do next year?
    4) The local race that you mentioned is probably The Two Prov in Lanesboro, you got on the podium there last year. Is that a race you'd love to win and with 16hr+ training/week, will you next year?
    5) What type of bike course do you prefer?
    6) What type of run course do you prefer?
    7) Do you think there are too many races in Ireland?
    8) What would you do to deter drafters in our sport?
    9) Who is your favourite super hero?
    10) If you could choose someone else's life, who's would it be?

If you could change one thing about yourself physically, what would it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Any interest or ambition to ever represent Longford Tri club, even for one day only?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

How was your first weekend with the new squad?
    Did you think it would take EL D so long to chime in? :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

what do you expect to be the best thing about training in the west?

and the worst?

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    In that case may I recommend Buddy's Bar, followed by a visit to Pinky Downey's*

*details may be 20-50 years out of date

Unfortunately I missed out on these treats. I was in bed by 9:30. Some decent views in the Hamptons Saturday evening though :D :cool:

Hi BTH,

1) 4 s/4 B/5 R - how does a typical week look then?
    2) You used to suffer from cold conditions, would you advice others that also suffer from the cold to avoid racing (tri) in Ire for the month of May?
    3) Do you know what races you will definitely do next year?
    4) The local race that you mentioned is probably The Two Prov in Lanesboro, you got on the podium there last year. Is that a race you'd love to win and with 16hr+ training/week, will you next year?
    5) What type of bike course do you prefer?
    6) What type of run course do you prefer?
    7) Do you think there are too many races in Ireland?
    8) What would you do to deter drafters in our sport?
    9) Who is your favourite super hero?
    10) If you could choose someone else's life, who's would it be?

1 - Monday, lunchtime 45min jog, evening 1 hours club swim, Tuesday 45min lunchtime jog, evening 1 hour turbo, Wed 1 hour morning swim, evening 90+min long run, Thurs 1 hour morning swim, 90min evening turbo, Friday 45min lunchtime jog, 1 hour evening swim, Sat 2.5hr spin in the morning, 75min evening run, Sunday 3.5 hour spin
    2 - I wouldn't advise against racing at any time! But I'm certainly fairly unlikely to race at my best in very cold conditions. I've completed the entire run of a triathlon thinking the insole of my shoe was folded over underneath my foot, as my feet were so numb.
    3 - Nothing definite, yet. But hopefully, HOTW Lost Sheep, Two Provinces, and Lord of the Dring. HOTW is perilously close to my wedding anniversary :(
    4 - I was actually referring to Lord of the Dring, but of course I'd love to win both races. Can I? Sure I can, but unfortunately its not that easy. If the likes of Shane Scully, Kevin Thornton, Rory Sexton turn up then no chance. If its a similar field to this year then yes I can win, but I need to do a lot of work to get into shape for that. I would hope that 16 hours a week can get me there or thereabouts. If not, and I race to my best, then I'll be happy with that. I'm not willing to commit more time to it than that, but I believe that will leave me in good shape going into those races next year.
    5 - CK is my favourite bike course. Rolling, rarely flat but not massively hilly either. Its the kind of terrain I grew up on and I feel stronger on it.
    6 - Flat. For someone of my body shape, I'm not as strong running up hills as I should be. I am working on it though
    7 - I don't believe there are too many races. I would doubt any races are struggling for numbers and struggling to make money, so the demand is there. There are certainly too many NS races, but I don't think the calender is over stocked although we are probably getting very close to that point.
    8 - Draft busters with shotguns... The only deterrent is the penalty and while the penalty is minuscule and odds of getting caught even smaller, then some people will continue to cheat. A shotgun blast to the front wheel will do it :) Or bigger penalties. Whatever
    9 - Never been much of a comic book/super hero kinda guy. And those Ironman films have nothing to do with swimming :(
    10 - If its alright with you, I'm quite happy with mine and the direction its taking. Cheers :)

If you could change one thing about yourself physically, what would it be?

Mmmmmmhhhhhhhh, the bright white skin or the little girl arms? Its a difficult choice :rolleyes: , but slightly bigger arms would help when the sea gets a bit rough

EC1000 wrote: »
    Any interest or ambition to ever represent Longford Tri club, even for one day only?

Never really thought of it like that, so if I've never really thought about it I guess the answer is no. But the guys in Longford Tri Club have always been very good to me, I've joined them for spins and swims some weekends I'm back home, they're a good group and my dad is a member too :) so I'd have a lot of time for them.

pgibbo wrote: »
    How was your first weekend with the new squad?
    Did you think it would take EL D so long to chime in? :D

Coming off the back of 10 days idle due to an illness, I wasn't looking forward to the weekend. It was a good, tough weekend, and I'm fairly shattered right now. Hobbling quite badly and I've a bit of a headache, but it wasn't anything too mental.

To be fair to El D, he works hard, 20+ hours a week is no laughing matter, so I understand why he came late to the party :) :cool: :D

mossym wrote: »
    what do you expect to be the best thing about training in the west?

and the worst?

At the moment it takes me 30-45 minutes to get out of the city on the bike. Traffic lights everywhere. I live in a small two bed apartment, with no space to properly clean a bike, or store the damn things properly.

The worst is obviously going to be the weather. Just need to man up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

- What if I'd fallen for the cycling 20 years earlier when my dad tried to get me into it. What if I didn't buy that fcuking house in 2006/7 thats costing me over 1k a month and I'm not able to live in it. But with either decision I wouldn't be where I am today so maybe I've been better off.

Did you buy in Dublin or elsewhere? Are you hoping for a second 'bubble'?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

Do you consider yourself to be the best ginger on the tri scene? (Are there other gingers?).
    Club coaching or individual coaching? Which would you recommend for someone at your level? Where does self discipline come into it?
    How close do you think you will/can/hope get to K Thornton, S Scully, D Richardson etc?
    What will you miss most about 3D?
    Are you going to get an honorary invite to the Carlow weekend?
    Will you over get over not winning the 3D Olympic novice of year at CK? :D

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    Did you buy in Dublin or elsewhere? Are you hoping for a second 'bubble'?

I bought in Longford, in 2006/7 in my first attempt to get out of this city, but in late 2009 work had dried up and coming back to Dublin was the only option to keep paying the mortgage. I bought relatively well, its a well built (not just flung up like most houses built at the time) 4 bed detached house, in a nice area, so its not too difficult to keep a couple of tenants in it. However, trying to get rid of it isn't going to happen any time soon. I'd be lucky to get 100k for it right now.

Do you consider yourself to be the best ginger on the tri scene? (Are there other gingers?).
    Club coaching or individual coaching? Which would you recommend for someone at your level? Where does self discipline come into it?
    How close do you think you will/can/hope get to K Thornton, S Scully, D Richardson etc?
    What will you miss most about 3D?
    Are you going to get an honorary invite to the Carlow weekend?
    Will you over get over not winning the 3D Olympic novice of year at CK? :D

- I'm sure BMC would have something to say about that :) If you take him to be semi retired, then Cormac McGarry is probably top ginger.
    - Both have their advantages. If you go with club coaching then you are likely to have others of a similar ability to push you on. Individual coaching is obviously more tailored and specific to you (or at least should be). The ideal situation is probably a mix of the two, club coaching being the best approach for swim improvements where there are feet to chase and a coach to keep an eye on your stroke with swimming being more technique based that the other two. Self discipline is obviously a major factor, but its easier to drop a - the sport (or in the individual sports) substantially longer, and are putting in 20hours plus a week. I have no interest in giving up as much time as would be needed to catch up with those guys.
    - I love the club and I'm everything about it.
    - I really hope I'll be welcomed back for that weekend.
    - How long are you going to live off that one? Still your claim to fame??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I bought in Longford, in 2006/7 in my first attempt to get out of this city, but in late 2009 work had dried up and coming back to Dublin was the only option to keep paying the mortgage. I bought relatively well, its a well built (not just flung up like most houses built at the time) 4 bed detached house, in a nice area, so its not too difficult to keep a couple of tenants in it. However, trying to get rid of it isn't going to happen any time soon. I'd be lucky to get 100k for it right now.

We bought in 2008... I am just waiting for bubble 2.0 to roll around, although I think we will have most of the mortgage cleared by then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

-
    - How long are you going to live off that one? Still your claim to fame??

Probably forever - I'm not getting younger you know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

On a scale of 1-10, how horrified are you, when you see Bendtner warming up on the touchline?

Even further off topic...
    http://balls.ie/football/best-tweets-askarsene-hashtag/

Izoard wrote: »
    On a scale of 1-10, how horrified are you, when you see Bendtner warming up on the touchline?

Even further off topic...
    http://balls.ie/football/best-tweets-askarsene-hashtag/

Somewhere around 24. Bring back Jeremie Aliadiere :)

I particularly like the identical hair twin one. Brilliant.

Today is Wednesday. I must go about finding another victim for this :cool::cool:

Next victim is over here

Thanks for this, twas an interesting thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Thanks for this, twas an interesting thread.

+1

• Advertisement
Advertisement