Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Question

• 07-11-2013 12:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭

a quick question:

i have UPC 50mb broadband at home. My sister is after opening another account for herself with UPC, but asked me if instead could she could use my broadband (we'd basically pay half each).

I'm under the assumption, that if a second person was to connect to my modem, that i would no longer receive the full 50mb speed and that my ping would also be increased (i play a lot of online gaming).

Now UPC told her that my speed and ping would not be affected in this case, that we would both receive 50mb each.

Whose right, myself or UPC ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Ping won't be affected, download speed might be depending on what's the current activity (torrents, Netflix, YouTube HD etc.) but in the real world, you can happily game while she's on the internet - so can 250+ other people theoretically. Be fine, share the bill ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Mesut Ozil

When yous are both using the same line, you share that line and share the speed of that line.

It possible to have 2 lines running into your house but it sounds like you're not doing that, so UPC are wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

With a 50mb you shouldn't notice any difference unless you are both connecting by wireless which can only get anywhere near the rated speed with a single connection in laboratory conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

You could always upgrade to 100mb which is cheaper than two 50mb bills if speed became an issue

Dak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭johndoe99

im connected by Ethernet, im going to activate the wireless facility on the modem tomorrow and allow her to use it for a day or two and see if it affects me in anyway. UPC are not connecting her till Monday, so i'll have a few days to test it out.

thanks for the advice/info lads, much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

johndoe99 wrote: »
    im connected by Ethernet, im going to activate the wireless facility on the modem tomorrow and allow her to use it for a day or two and see if it affects me in anyway. UPC are not connecting her till Monday, so i'll have a few days to test it out.

thanks for the advice/info lads, much appreciated.

upgrade to the 200mb package... it will cost less than 2 50mb acs

I have my PC connected to my modem by Ethernet cable. Is it possible to activate the wireless feature at the same time so that a laptop can receive the wireless signal?

So I can be using the PC connected by Ethernet
    and another person can be using the Laptop by wireless.

Modem: EPC3925

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

johndoe99 wrote: »
    I have my PC connected to my modem by Ethernet cable. Is it possible to activate the wireless feature at the same time so that a laptop can receive the wireless signal?

So I can be using the PC connected by Ethernet
    and another person can be using the Laptop by wireless.

Modem: EPC3925

yes this is the normal setup of a router where the input is from your modem and all the RJ45 connections are connected to. and the WiFi will also be connected to the same, you should be able to ping each devices.

i have it all setup, my sister, brother and myself are all using the wireless and all is fine, seems to be no drop in speed. So im going to contact UPC Monday and upgrade to 200mb package with all 3 of us contributing to payment.

Can anyone tell me if the EPC3925 that i'm currently using can handle 200mb broadband. Thanks.

Advertisement