Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Struggling with token meter

Options
  • 07-11-2013 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi I have had a token meter for around three years now. My home is all electric and even required to pump water into the house. My arrears are being repaid at 25.00 per week. However, with winter coming my expenditure on electricity is horrendous and 60.00 per week will last me. I have no alternative means of heat/water etc and I am over 20 minutes drive from the nearest outlet that supplies tokens. I am working but only earn 200 per week. Often I have to make hard decisions and go for a couple of days without electricity - no fun I can assure you in winter because I simply cannot afford 60 euro per week. I am as energy efficient as I can be but the cost is killing me now. The arrears were large - I did not receive a bill for five years - they just stopped coming and I stuck my head in the sand. However, though there was fault on both sides, (how does a utility company not send a bill for this length of time?) and I am happy to pay off what is owed, I cannot sustain the winter time cost. Is it possible to reduce the amount being paid off the arrears for the winter time. Any suggestions gratefully received. Also would a keypad meter be a better option for actually finding somewhere to top up more conveniently.   

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Equinista wrote: »
    I did not receive a bill for five years
    Hi Equinista,

Can you private message me your Electric Ireland account number and your name/address/telephone number as they appear on your account? We wish to investigate the above, because bills should automatically go to all customers, including those who have a token meter (for whom the bill acts as a statement). We will check into your other queries also.
    Also would a keypad meter be a better option for actually finding somewhere to top up more conveniently.
    The original token meters are being phased out and replaced by the keypad meters. Customers who have token meters and wish to change to keypad would be required to have their token meter removed and apply for the keypad meter.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Equinista

Equinista wrote: »
    I did not receive a bill for five years
    Hi Equinista,

Can you private message me your Electric Ireland account number and your name/address/telephone number as they appear on your account? We wish to investigate the above, because bills should automatically go to all customers, including those who have a token meter (for whom the bill acts as a statement). We will check into your other queries also.
    Also would a keypad meter be a better option for actually finding somewhere to top up more conveniently.
    The original token meters are being phased out and replaced by the keypad meters. Customers who have token meters and wish to change to keypad would be required to have their token meter removed and apply for the keypad meter.

Regards,
    Una
    I have received bills since the meter installation that is not a problem. The years preceding were when I  received no bills at all. I am sure there has already been an investigation into the whys and wherefores and a lump sum was paid off the bill too. I will send details as my priority is to manage this account and get through the winter months comfortably without having to go without electricity.

The advantages seem to be the "friendly electricity" with the keypad plus it is indoors and more outlets would you expand on key meter advantages please. There is an overnight friendly time period with the token meter but it has no qualms about cutting off at 
    weekends or holidays!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi again Equinista,

The credit-friendly times for the keypad meter are:

Monday-Thurs: 4pm to 9am next day
    Fri-Monday: 4pm Friday until 9am Monday morning

Holidays: 1st January, 17th March, Christmas Day, St. Stephen’s Day, 31st December

The keypad meter is indoors or outdoors depending on where the standard meter is.

Regards,
    Una

Advertisement