Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 month old not sleeping through the night yet!

Options
  • 07-11-2013 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

I have a 12 month old that still does not sleep through the night.
    She wakes up once a night at around 4am has a little cry and will go back to sleep very quickly if we console her.

She is still in our room as my wife works on call alot and its just easier for us to put her back to sleep in the same room rather than having to get up leave the room and go to a different room.

Any advise on how to get her to sleep through the night?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I wouldn't think that it's that odd for a baby still not to fully sleep through the night. Are you sure you aren't waking her in your room? I know it's easier to keep her in your room but would you not consider moving her out now. The longer you leave it, the more difficult it might get.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I personally think if your daughter is only waking once at 4am and goes back to sleep with a bit of shushing then you're doing very well.

For a 1 year old she is actually sleeping through the night.

Sorry I'm not giving you any tips but just letting you know you're very fortunate. Our son is a great sleeper but he didn't really start sleeping 7-6/7 until around 18 months and even then it wasn't every night. Most babies don't get to that point until 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Btw I agree with yellow hen that she may be able to put herself back to sleep unless she's distressed with teething etc if she was in her own room. We certainly found that to be the case with our son.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭missis aggie

Hi, my daughter was exactly the same at that age ( also in our room)and in fact she still at 27 months is sometimes waking up for various reasons ( in her own room). Could be just a reasurance she needs, dreaming, transition from deep sleep etc. Personally I don't believe in "sleeping through the night". Most adults would wake up randomly during the night and no one is truly sleeping all night.
    I think if she is going asleep straight after being reassured you are doing just fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

My 14 month old boy wakes maybe once or twice during the night, we used to go in and soothe him but recently in past two weeks I have been resisting the urge to rush in and soothe him and it seems he is well able to get himself back to sleep which is great for him and us, he is in his own room since he was 7 months. I still consider him to sleep through the night though as he goes down around 7 and 'sleeps' till 7. The very odd night if he is very unsettled he will come in with us but that is very rare.
    I think your child is doing fantastic at 12 months but would be better if she could soothe herself back to sleep but this will come in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

My 2 and a bit year old is only starting (I think!) to sleep more than 6 unbroken hours now.
    Apparently it's not too uncommon for kids not to transition through sleep cycles without waking until they're 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

My boy is not as old as yours, he's just 5 months but he was also a big fan of crying at night and then going back asleep fairly quickly once he was soothed a bit.

We put him in his own room at 4 months and it made a big difference. Often he cries and I run into him only to find he's already back asleep so I try to wait now and listen to the baby monitor before going to him. For example, this morning he started crying a bit at 6am and I went in to him only to find him fast asleep again. He slept then until 7.30am but of course, muggins here was awake and couldn't get back to sleep. I need to train myself better, I think.

He still needs one feed during the night but he used to have me up every 30 minutes putting his dummy in etc. Now it's only once or twice a night. I'm hoping it will only improve too.

So the own room really might be worth a try! Crying once during the night sounds like basically sleeping through to me though, I'd say lots of parents (me included) would love that :)

We were disturbing him too I think, moving about etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭sleepytrees

My son is 12months and he goes to bed any time between 6.30-7.30 and sleeps until about 6am wakes for a bottle and nappy change and then goes back down to sleep till about 8.30 but he doesn't always go back to sleep!! and sometimes he wakes up for his bottle at 5am! It just depends on teething etc but compared to how he was as a baby it feels like we are getting loads of sleep. He also goes down for a nap at about 12 or 1 for about and hour, two if we are lucky!! We moved him into his own room at 7 months because he'd wake up really easily and he slept so much better in his own room. Also since we switched to pull ups at nighttime, he sleeps for much longer. The problem was he was waking up because he wet himself of his nappy was really full so as soon as we used pull ups (got them in lidll) it made a huge difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

we are lucky!!!

How I read your post! :D that's an amazing sleeper you got, how do i change mine for one of those?! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Our boy is 2 and a bit now and still wakes several times a night and needs consoling. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you, you're doing very well. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭sleepytrees

liliq wrote: »
    How I read your post! :D that's an amazing sleeper you got, how do i change mine for one of those?! ;)

Yeah we are lucky!! Started him with a routine early! I think he just loves his sleep though. He says 'bed bed' when he is tired! Sometimes it's a difficult to get him to stay up till 6 or 7pm!! Although he is teething at the min. I bet after I write this post he'll wake up and won't ever sleep good for me again!! I'm gonna jinx it :D:D

Advertisement