Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland V Samoa team announcement and build up thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

wittycynic wrote: »
    Tribalism on Irish rugby existed long before kidney. The Cork Exmainer, as it was many moons ago, used to give out stink about the Irish team being dominated by Ulster and Leinster players and reckoned those provinces got all the marginal calls. Maybe that was accurate, but either way, provinces have felt hard done by in selections for a long long time and have frequently cried provincial bias on selections.

That perception was completely fair, tbh. And even my father, a lifelong Leinster fan, attests to that.

The contemporary keyboard warrior culture is born out of a different context, though - and it's a phenomenon that exists in all four provinces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Rightwing wrote: »
    I seem to remember many on here claiming Gatty was picking too many Welsh players. The hysteria was almost embarrassing, but it perfectly illustrates the representation cry.

If anything it disproves what you were saying about coaches picking certain players just to have some representation from that plaace/team

Do you even know what you originally said? Just incase you've forgotten, here's your originally said on the matter:
    That happens everywhere, soccer, rugby, any sport. So much so to the point that a coach almost has to represent a number of teams or interest will wane.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I seem to remember many on here claiming Gatty was picking too many Welsh players. The hysteria was almost embarrassing, but it perfectly illustrates the representation cry.

It doesn't. At all. You've just completely disregarded the point made to you.

But that's ok. I didn't want or expect to be engaged. I just wanted to highlight it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Samoa match...?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Hurk

Bowe, Kearney and McFadden are all savage at chasing garryowens or putting pressure on after bombs, does anyone else think that this might be a tactic used by Lovely Joe's Ireland, at least in the beginning, to test the Samoans?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

The day before an Ireland match is the slowest, most torturous day of the year.

Am I allowed to say that I think we'll coast past this Samoa team? I don't know a lot of their XV and I look at who we have to bring off the bench and I just can't see use ever being in any danger of losing this match. I'm expecting a good few line-breaks from Bowe and a try from Dave Kearney.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

Hagz wrote: »

Am I allowed to say that I think we'll coast past this Samoa team? I don't know a lot of their XV and I look at who we have to bring off the bench and I just can't see use ever being in any danger of losing this match. I'm expecting a good few line-breaks from Bowe and a try from Dave Kearney.

I think they deserve a bot more respect than that, they are ahead of us in the rankings and we only have one or two genuinely world class players in the squad for tomorrow. I think we'll win but it won't be a cake walk.

Hagz wrote: »

I think you could well be right. I'm a lot more confident with Schmidt at the helm and how he has gone about picking the team.

Plus I think a lot of people are basing their opinion of Samoa on the Welsh game, where Wales coughed up three tries as opposed to Samoa making them through any fantastic attacking. Add to that the fact that they are missing some of their best players and I think we're going to win pretty easily if we click

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Valentine1 wrote: »
    I think they deserve a bot more respect than that,

I presume a bot is somewhere between a bit and a lot.

I respect them a lot, but I look at some of the players they're missing, like Tuilagi, Lemi, Williams, Johnston etc. and I don't know if they have the firepower to really hurt us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I think they deserve a bot more respect than that, they are ahead of us in the rankings and we only have one or two genuinely world class players in the squad for tomorrow. I think we'll win but it won't be a cake walk.

These type of teams usually fall away, we should be looking to put 30+ point on them. It's little more than a warm up match in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Only 2?

Define World Class though

Is it top in their position, top3, top 5, top 10 in the world

We have 9 Lions playing

All below are comfortably TOP 10 in the world in their position at the moment imo

Heaslip, Best, Murray, BOD, Bowe, Kearney starting

Healy, POC, OBrien Bench

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

http://www.sportsfile.com/id/808431/

Take my place will ya,

Yeah we'll see

:pac::pac::pac:

These type of teams usually fall away, we should be looking to put 30+ point on them. It's little more than a warm up match in reality.

What are you basing that on?

ssaye2 wrote: »
    Only 2?

Define World Class though

Is it top in their position, top3, top 5, top 10 in the world

We have 9 Lions playing

All below are comfortably TOP 10 in the world in their position at the moment imo

Heaslip, Best, Murray, BOD, Bowe, Kearney starting

Healy, POC, OBrien Bench

For me World Class is a player who would be selected in a World XV vs World XV game. Essentially a player who could be considered to be in the top 4 in the world. Its a bot of a moveable feast of course and isn't to be taken too seriously. For me Heaslip and BOD are the only two starters who could even arguably be World Class with POC and SOB on the bench

As for Best, Murray, Bowe and Kearney? fine players all but i don't think any of them are top 10 in the world in their position at the moment.

In fairness I wasn't entirely aware of all the names missing from the Samoa team, we might expect to do better than I originally thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

What about Tonga beating Scotland and France? Please don't ignore reasonable questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

For me World Class is a player who would be selected in a World XV vs World XV game. Essentially a player who could be considered to be in the top 4 in the world. Its a bot of a moveable feast of course and isn't to be taken too seriously. For me Heaslip and BOD are the only two starters who could even arguably be World Class with POC and SOB on the bench

As for Best, Murray, Bowe and Kearney? fine players all but i don't think any of them are top 10 in the world in their position at the moment.

In fairness I wasn't entirely aware of all the names missing from the Samoa team, we might expect to do better than I originally thought.

Can you seriously name 9 better scrum halves than Murray and 9 better wingers than Bowe??

Murray certainly is, Cian Healy is also without a doubt one of the best if not the best looseheads in world rugby

Bowe is definitley in the top ten too

• Advertisement

Tox56 wrote: »
    Can you seriously name 9 better scrum halves than Murray and 9 better wingers than Bowe??
    Murray certainly is, Cian Healy is also without a doubt one of the best if not the best looseheads in world rugby

Bowe is definitley in the top ten too

If I had the time right now I'd be prepared to give it ago:D.

Like I said they are all fine players but I think its natural for fans to unconsciously over rate their own players. Taken in a global scenario I think there are certainly better players out there right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

808370.jpg

:eek:

Edit: Didn't notice the ball in the air at all when I was posting this!

If I had the time right now I'd be prepared to give it ago:D.

Like I said they are all fine players but I think its natural for fans to unconsciously over rate their own players. Taken in a global scenario I think there are certainly better players out there right now.

well if you think Conor Murray isn't in the top ten 9's in world rugby I'd put it to you that you're underrating our players. He most definitely is, as is Bowe

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

808370.jpg

Don't worry, Ritchie's got this sorted.

808372.jpg

And looks like Ferg is doing some kicking practice too...

808371.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

808370.jpg

When I first looked at that, I didn't see the ball along the left upright. I only saw the one on the ground, assuming he completely scuffed it :p

well if you think Conor Murray isn't in the top ten 9's in world rugby I'd put it to you that you're underrating our players. He most definitely is, as is Bowe

You maybe right but I respectfully disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Tox56 wrote: »

the problem here is that we compare our own starters to all the other countries starters

there could be several all blacks better in one position but we only really see the one playing... I think there could be several wingers for example

I would also say though that top 10 doesn't really mean much in rugby terms given the few countries playing at top level

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

molloyjh wrote: »
    Don't worry, Ritchie's got this sorted.

808372.jpg

And looks like Ferg is doing some kicking practice too...

808371.jpg

There is something a little worrying about the kicking coach looking quizzically at the kicking action of our starting 10 the day before an international..! Hopefully PJ goes well with the boot, he has everything else up to this standard

You maybe right but I respectfully disagree.

but can you not name the ten 9's you think are better than murray?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Grimebox wrote: »
    When I first looked at that, I didn't see the ball along the left upright. I only saw the one on the ground, assuming he completely scuffed it :p

Haha!!! Wow I didn't see that ball until you mentioned it. Also thought he completely scuffed it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement