Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland V Samoa team announcement and build up thread.

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I was more wondering about comparing that crop of wingers to the current group.

Ah yeah sorry. It's generally too early to say: Piutau is in his first season, and tomorrow will his 3rd start - promising is all I can regarding him.

Savea is in his 2nd season, he was in absolutely awesome form at the start of the season, then had the domestic issue, and hasn't quite got back up there. I reckon 2014 could be stellar for him. He's kind of a not quite so good version of Lomu at present.

Jane is very good, but not Howlett, Wilson good.

Smith, of course, has been simply outstanding this season, but once again it's really only his first proper year in the 1st XV.

In answer to your Q: I'll get back to you in 2 years' time...

awec wrote: »
    We are straying again...

My bad...:o:o:o

In fairness, Julian Savea is a Kiwi of Samoan origin...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Sorry awec, blame the Samoans for picking a load of players we haven't heard of. :P

Score predictions, everybody?

I think we'll win by about 7.

Sorry awec, blame the Samoans for picking a load of players we haven't heard of. :P

I see this going 3 ways:

Most likely: Ireland by about 10, superior structure and a better scrum, plus home advantage.

Other possibilities: Ireland "click" under Magician Schmidt and a mini-slaughter ensues. Samoa bring their "A" game and their big backs run amok, and it's a mini-slaughter the other way.

Tries will be scored...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Ye. i'd have that about right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I can't see past a demolition after 60 mins when the subs come on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

duckysauce wrote: »
    Best one I have seen lately unreal.

When Ireland played NZ the last time in the Aviva he pretty much did that to either McFadden or Kearney I think. As they say in Kiwiland it was awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Kanrith

O'Driscoll sat out captain's run, but apparently is fit to play, didn't mention why he sat it out.

Kanrith wrote: »
    O'Driscoll sat out captain's run, but apparently is fit to play, didn't mention why he sat it out.

Sulking because he wasn't captain...

*the above statement may be false

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Brian O'Driscoll, does what he wants.

wateva-wateva-i-do-wat-i-want.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Grimebox wrote: »
    I can't see past a demolition after 60 mins when the subs come on

Part of me can't feckin wait to see Healy, Cronin, SOB and POC on the sidelines ready to come on, that has to be the most impact we've ever had on the bench, in the forwards at least. The backs - or at least the halfbacks - will in theory be good players to bring off the bench and up the tempo (which will hopefully be made significantly easier thanks to the first 3 of the 4 forwards named above), although I wouldn't be surprised if Murray is only taken off if he's injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wittycynic

I really think we have far too much quality in the match day squad for this to be anything other than a 10 point+ victory. Were Samoa at full strength my confidence would be tempered somewhat, but as it stands I would be extremely surprised if we lost.

I'm really looking forward to Chris Henry's performance tomorrow. If he can truly impose himself at the breakdown and perform like a top quality 7, a backrow of 6. O'Brien 7. Henry and 8. Heaslip with O'Mahony at 20, using his stellar carrying abilities to run at tired legs, could be the ticket for Oz.

Did Superman ever train?

Strange how quick people go from overestimating Samoa to thinking they will roll over, although I don't know too much about the Samoan squad so I can't say myself.

Strange how quick people go from overestimating Samoa to thinking they will roll over, although I don't know too much about the Samoan squad so I can't say myself.

Missing 5 or 6 key players.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Tox56 wrote: »
    Part of me can't feckin wait to see Healy, Cronin, SOB and POC on the sidelines ready to come on, that has to be the most impact we've ever had on the bench, in the forwards at least. The backs - or at least the halfbacks - will in theory be good players to bring off the bench and up the tempo (which will hopefully be made significantly easier thanks to the first 3 of the 4 forwards named above), although I wouldn't be surprised if Murray is only taken off if he's injured.

Disagree with this, if Ireland play at the pace Leinster did at their best under Schmidt I’d say Murray will be shattered by 60 minutes, that is if he’s consistently at the breakdown to get the ball away quickly. It’ll be a step up from the pace he’s used to playing with Munster and Ireland under Kidney.

Missing 5 or 6 key players.

Fair enough, but I never get the feeling a match will be easy, whatever the opposition, although it can give me a nice surprise such as Argentina last year :P

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Exile22

Does anyone know where this I can watch this in the UK? Am in Scotland and the Wales v South Africa match is on the telly instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Exile22 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where this I can watch this in the UK? Am in Scotland and the Wales v South Africa match is on the telly instead.

Im sure it will be on the red button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

bilston wrote: »
    Im sure it will be on the red button.

It isn't. An internet link is probably about as good as it'll get.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Exile22 wrote: »

It's on bbc NI so you should be able to get it via satellite?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Blackheath

It's on bbc NI so you should be able to get it via satellite?

According to the BBC website it is on the red button.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/24865350

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

If we're doing predictions, I think Ireland will win a pretty open game 31 - 15, with at least 14 of those points for Ireland coming in the final quarter when the benches are emptied and the game loses intensity, but tight affair for the first 60.

I think it'll be a bit like an Amlin Cup knock-out game, fun to watch but hard to take seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

May as well shut up shop here. Match day thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057079173

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement