Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland V Samoa team announcement and build up thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

The backline doesn't offer much incision, but that is to be somewhat expected with our most exciting backs injured. Murray will need a big game inside Jackson.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

No marshall is very disappointing imo, unless he starts against Oz with the more impressive of him and D'arcy getting NZ

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Would have preferred Marshall at 12 but like the look of the backrow
    Bench is savage. so much impact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Seriously? More 2 fingers given to Samoa. I understand the need for rest but leaving Sexton POC Healy & SOB out of the starting XV is not showing the Pacific team that much respect. I guess if Ireland win handily enough it will be justified. IT (GT) >> Indo for the guess this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Love how Schmidt gets really technical

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

"Chris Henry is a pest at the breakdown who is hard to get rid of" :D

It's good to see Henry's abilities finally being noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Kanrith

He said that Sexton wasn't fully recovered, Sob and Poc don't have much training done either

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Seriously? More 2 fingers given to Samoa. I understand the need for rest but leaving Sexton POC Healy & SOB out of the starting XV is not showing the Pacific team that much respect. I guess if Ireland win handily enough it will be justified. IT (GT) >> Indo for the guess this morning.

It's up to them to beat us.

POC + Sexton were always doubtful...I could see Healy and SOB getting 40 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

? It's nothing about respect, they aren't sending out a team they think will lose. Sexton, POC, Healy and SOB have all been struggling with injuries anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Sexton is injured. Schmidt said SOB and POC could not train fully and they wanted to go with the team that had been training together. Healy has been carrying a knock also so I presume the same but he wasn't mentioned in the conference.

• Advertisement

Don't think so at all, Joe's looking to win this from 60 -> 80 minutes with a bench of that strength.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Interesting comments on Sexton at the end there. Making it very clear to the IRFU that losing Irish talent to non-IRFU teams is detrimental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    is Marshall injured?

If Darcy is starting, Madigan is better on the bench to cover more positions. Either Marshall or Darcy in the 23, not both

Have to say although I disagree with the Marshall call it is encouraging to see Schmidt actually throwing a few curveballs. I had this feeling that he would become a little more restrained with his selections at international level and rotation would be less obvious, but he hasn't been afraid to make the big calls already.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

I would say the game plan will be to stifle them in the first half and try and create penalty oppourtunities to build up a lead then release our ball carriers from the bench in the second and rip them up and get some tries. I would say D'Arcy was picked to provide some experience outside Jackson. Really looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

They're managing players returning from injury. Not much to it I reckon. If Samoa were hosting Ireland, Australia and NZ in that order with the same injury issues they'd do the very same.

Disappointed Marshall misses out completely. The back line is maybe a little weak and with D Kearney on the bench there isn't the same level of impact as we have up front. We'll probably be relying on the pack for this one.

Other than that I just have to say I love Joe. He says things that mean stuff! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

Henry deserves a run of games. He a big fella, Obrien at 6, Henry 7 and Heslip at 8 would be my preferred backrow. O'mahony needs more flesh on them bones to compete with the big units.. he just cant shake them off like obrien can..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

nice refreshing responses from JS...no mumbled fob offs to the journalists was different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Would have liked to see Marshall in there, but otherwise I like the look of that team. Good to see Henry and McGrath getting starts.

If this is a sign of things to come in terms of rotation and rewarding form then I'll be pretty happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

At some stage in the campaign we have to try and work in some of our strength in depth. Henry, McGrath and Toner are all going to be part of the six nations set up and all are quality players who have earned their start. Given the lack of training and the need to preserve these guys, the selections make sense.

I'm a bit surprised by Marshall, but given the physicality of the opposition there may be a worry about him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Still think Marshall should have got the experience in this test, there is not a huge amount between them, bar test experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Are the media required at these things to field really soft questions or is it that they're very Leinster centred. Surely Marshalls omission deserved at least a mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Hey wait...where's the outcry? The meltdown? The madness?

Note to self, do not go near Facebook!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Henry deserves a run of games. He a big fella, Obrien at 6, Henry 7 and Heslip at 8 would be my preferred backrow. O'mahony needs more flesh on them bones to compete with the big units.. he just cant shake them off like obrien can..

Have you seen POM carry the ball this season? He has become quite the destructive carrier. He's not in the SOB class but only a few in the world are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

shuffol wrote: »
    Are the media required at these things to field really soft questions or is it that they're very Leinster centred. Surely Marshalls omission deserved at least a mention.

Probably can't be too harsh...but I thought some of the questions towards Heaslip were strong enough.

And with them questioning the absence of Madigan, Sexton and the inclusion of McGrath, Henry, McFadden...I suppose it's a bit of a surprise they didn't question Marshall too.

Toner/McCarthy both over Tuohy is interesting enough too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

To me Marshall is the only call that people can argue with.

POC, SOB, and Healy didn't train enough with the group to be included in the starting 15, but will offer serious impact with a point to prove off the bench. McFadden included cause of his extra physicality, how he likes to popup and get involved in the centre, and I bet his place kicking was a factor too incase Jackson has a wobble.

Captaincy is fine, POC as the main man, Heaslip as back up. Its how Schmidt had it at Leinster with Cullen, and he will have no problem with it at this level either (in fact he will know with POC injury record lately that he can step up and take the role full time).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Jesus Joe taking his time during that announcement!

POC captain, mods you can decrease the meltdown alert from level 5 to level 4!

Joe played us until the very final moment there didn't he!

bilston wrote: »
    Joe played us until the very final moment there didn't he!

I liked the dramatic pause before announcing Jack McGrath's name

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Just so you don't have to go near the IRFU Facebook page, people are questioning Toner's selection, asking for Kilcoyne over McGrath and to drop Heaslip..

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

McGrath showing his inexperience being interviewed.

How does it feel Jack?

Yea, it's a great honour for me and my family.

*awkward silence as the room awaits the rest of his answer* :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement