Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing your dog to work?!

• 07-11-2013 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14 brandy555

Hi all! I'm working in an office, on my own from 12 onwards & I am allowed bring my puppy (8 months old) with me tomorrow! :D I suggested it this morning not thinking it would be allowed but the boss man thinks its a great idea & now has everyone excited about it!

Anybody here ever bring their dog to work? How did it work out? Is it a good idea?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Personally as long as they're happy and not stressed out, then it's a great idea. I brought my foster dog, the odd time and she got fussed over so much. I was able to bring her out to pee regularly (see peed a lot) and she actually appeared to be more energetic which was great to see.

hztf.jpg

I also brought the cat :D:D He's a sociable fella anyway so he wasn't stressed and tbh he snoozed pretty much the whole day on top of a locker when nobody was around.

dqee.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Is Eddie trying to photocopy his butt? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14 brandy555

Awww they look like they're really enjoying it!! My girl - Poppy - pee's a lot too so will be in and out like a yo-yo! Did you bring some food in for treats or anything? Also would it be a good idea to bring one of her blankets to crash on & some toys?!

I don't think it would stress her out - nothing seems to phase her! Would it be best to keep her on lead inside? Would be worried if she had the run of the place she'd pee everywhere haha :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

When I was in italy I was bringing my dog to work with me every day... for years :)
    I was going sometimes out to play with the ball with him or smoke a cigarette and everyone loved him..
    It's great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

jsabina wrote: »
    When I was in italy I was bringing my dog to work with me every day... for years :)
    I was going sometimes out to play with the ball with him or smoke a cigarette and everyone loved him..
    It's great!

Your dog smokes?? :eek: :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

Yea I've brought my dog to work a few times and it's always been good. He's very sociable and is (so I am told!) liked by the other folks at the office. Mostly he curled up under my desk and you'd hardly know he was there.

Just make sure yours doesn't go jumping up on workmates. Also, you won't be thanked if workmates get dog hairs all over their clothes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

brandy555 wrote: »
    Did you bring some food in for treats or anything? Also would it be a good idea to bring one of her blankets to crash on & some toys?!

I brought a bed,her bowls from home and a small amount of food. If she wasn't sleeping she was being fussed over. She was old, so she was quite content to chillout for the day and settled quite quickly.

deandean wrote: »
    Just make sure yours doesn't go jumping up on workmates. Also, you won't be thanked if workmates get dog hairs all over their clothes.
    +1 I'm lucky with my colleagues, but not everyone might like it, so the main thing is to be respectful of your workmates requests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

I've been thinking for ages that it would be brilliant if I could bring my dog to work but have never asked. Might bring it up as I never realised other people do it other than vet receptionists.

I am slightly worried that as she is still a puppy she'll go mad just sitting about the office all day even though I would be bringing her outside a good bit & have a few toys with me?!

Mince Pie you should definitely ask - I didn't think there was a hope it would be allowed & was mostly joking when I did say it! Worse they can say is no! :)

I'll make sure she doesn't have free roam in the morning so just in case she does go jumping up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I bring my dogs to work with me everyday but they are in a stable in the yard while im at work in the office, (i work in the office of a big stud farm).

So they stay there from 9-1.30 then they get a big walk around the fields on my lunch and then i collect them again then at 5pm.

Its great and really good when they are pups, and i have my pup that i bred with me now. Hes 11 weeks today so its great to know that i can do the toilet and crate training during the day too, which makes life and training much easier and usually trains them quicker too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

I always brought my jack Russell to work with me, I used to work in a pet shop and she loved getting all the attention and most customers gave her some treats they had bought for their own dogs :D

I'd love to be able to do that!
    I don't think it would go down well here though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I really wish I could do this, but I don't think it would work out as Henry is very nosey and excitable. I do get to work from home occasionally though and keep the herd company.

I really wish I could do this, but I don't think it would work out as Henry is very nosey and excitable. I do get to work from home occasionally though and keep the herd company.

That's something that's slightly worrying me too as Poppy can be very excitable too!! I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed & hope it goes well! I'm as nervous about it as I am excited :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

what a lovely thing to be able to do. Cant me bringing my crew with me into the office any time soon but would love to do just the once

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I'm actually my daughter's full time Carer. So in a way my dogs are with me all the time not to mention the joy my daughter gets from them. Of course I have to be really careful with supervision to keep everyone safe.

With all the awful news stories at the moment, it is amazing to see how much normality the dogs add to my child's life as she has spent 5 years undergoing numerous medical testing & hospital stays.

Plus they keep mammy sane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I worked in an office once where one of my colleagues brought her dog in once a week and it was the best!! We had a fairly chilled boss so no specific starting time so you'd have people coming in any time between 9-11. But on Thursdays you knew it was dog day and everyone was in early to get the most out of the day with her!!! It really put everyone in a great mood and was awesome. It's something I want to have if/when I get my business operating. Office pet ftw!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I think it's a lovely idea as long as nobody working in the office has a pet allergy. I love dogs but would be very uncomfortable working all day with all that fur around :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

my husband used to bring our old dog in with him occassionally. He used to bring his bed, leash (for pee-outings), bowl for water and a few dog biscuits. That dog is pretty calm and relaxed, and my husband has his own office (with a door!!) so it was never an issue. But there was a woman in his dept who has a dog phobia, so he hasnt brought the dog in since she started working there.
    OP I would be very conscious when you arrive that your dog doesnt go off to pee in the office (though as a bitch she is less inclined than males peeing to 'mark' - hopefully!) Let us know how it goes??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I bring my dogs to work with me everyday but then I work from home ;).

Just got a puppy this week but he's not allowed into the office (ahem bedroom) because he's liable to chew, although at 8 weeks old I was very impressed when after being here a day he yelped at the door to go outside for his toilet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I've done it a few times with my lad. There's a chap who's afraid of dogs in my office but he asked me to bring Gus to help him adjust. Gus is very responsive to commands, regardless who they come from, and the scared lad was fascinated by this sudden power over the beast... :-) he'll even pat him now!

Hey guys!!

Well been in work for a bit now & poppy is doing great!! She's really behaving herself & so far everyone is mad about her so getting plenty of attention! I'm slightly paranoid about her peeing though so in and out like a yo-yo :o

I'm fairly sure I wont get much work done either, her sorrowful little eyes looking up at me are far too hard to ignore haha :D

Advertisement