Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Declined home insurance due to 2 mobile ph claims - future implications of refusal?

Options
  • 07-11-2013 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Mortgage approved on a house (havnt moved in)
    Bank suggested to do a quote for house insurance.
    We have secured another Home Insurance Quote from another Co anyway.

Banks asks - any prev claims?

None house related - never had house ins before.

I declared.

I had an 1 x iphone stolen approx 3-4years ago.
    I had an 1 x iphone *screen broke on another phone.

Bank calls to say home insurance declined!

* I remember now I opted for an upgrade replacement and this wasn't a claim.

Phoned my mobile phone operator and they called their ins co to double check dates / claims so I can check was it 5+ and what claims?

Mobile phone provider say their ins co have no record of any claims on my number. They don't keep records that long.

====================

Is this very odd that Im declined for even 2 claims in a 5 year period for diff phones?

Bank says - its two claims for the same TYPE of device.

What are the implications?

Is there perhaps something dodgey flagged against the house we are going to buy that the ins co are not admitting to and declining me for that.

Friend - It has been suggested I do a credit check using the new house address (Ive never lived in) to see if there is something suss about it.

So forever if Im asked have I ever been refused Insurance Ive to say yes :-(

Possible loan refusal implications like credit unions etc in the future ?

I can call the Bank and req they update to say 1 claim and availed of 1 upgrade (= 1 claim in total) any point?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

No implication. Once company declined to quote you. You havent been declined insurance. A number of insurers will only ask about claims in the last 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

peteb2 wrote: »
    No implication. Once company declined to quote you. You havent been declined insurance. A number of insurers will only ask about claims in the last 3 years.

Thanks.

A friend said its odd they just didn't quote really high, why decline?

Because where a bank is a tied agent and only deals with one insurance company, sometimes computer just says no!

peteb2 wrote: »

Is that not one in the same thing? Whats the difference? - That no one would touch you for a category of insurance ?

Penny drops ....

Do you mean that if no one would touch you for a category of insurance = insurance decline.

Quote decline from one company = quote decline = nothing to worry about

• Advertisement

That's it. And if you feel unsure the question on most forms gives you space to qualify your answer. Personally I probably wouldnt have told them about the mobile phones!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You can check with insurelink to see what claims are on record for you, costs €6 if I remember correctly. I think this is the same crowd that the insurers will check with if ever you claim.

You can also contact your previous insurers and ask them for a claims history. If they won't readily provide one, you can submit a data protection access request which again is about €6.

I'd be really wary about not/incorrectly declaring something when taking out a policy, it could really bite you on the ass if you ever need to claim on the policy. I've watched a mate go through hell because of a genuine mistake when taking out a policy.

Advertisement