Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suspected pinworms - advice needed

• 07-11-2013 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

Ok so my sister is in college in Dublin and not due home to Sligo until tomorrow evening. She has been complaining of a chronic itching around and inside the anal region.

She hasn't 'seen' anything but did what she shouldn't have done and self - diagnosed herself on the internet with pinworms.

She is refusing point blank to go to the doctor and please don't tell me I have to persuade her, she is so stubborn and she hung up on me last night when I told her for the umpteenth time that she should go. Shes morto as she put it and wants me to go to the chemist for her and see if I can get on OTC med for it.

I saw a thread on here that says the medication is 1 tablet called Vermox 100mg 1 now and 1 again in two weeks, can this be got in the chemist without going to a doctor does anyone know.

My other question, and I know it's probably one for the pharmacist but is there any known harm to taking vermox if in actual fact you haven't got pinworm.

A speedy reply would be greatly welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Strayze

My brother had that when we were kids and my mam got Vermox over the counter. As far as I remember he never went to the doctor. She made all of us take it just in case we had them and it didn't do me any harm. And then washed all the sheets because I think it can spread.

Unless she can actually see worms or anything then I think maybe she should go to the doctor because that sounds like it could be anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Strayze wrote: »
    My brother had that when we were kids and my mam got Vermox over the counter. As far as I remember he never went to the doctor. She made all of us take it just in case we had them and it didn't do me any harm. And then washed all the sheets because I think it can spread.

Unless she can actually see worms or anything then I think maybe she should go to the doctor because that sounds like it could be anything.

Cheers for that. I might give my local Boots a call and see what they advice, she won't go to the doctor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Just rang a local chemist who were very helpful and said to can be gotten over the counter and it's quite cheap too which is a help. Doesn't seem that it will do her any harm if it's not infact pinworm and that she should see a difference in a few days. Going to try and persuade her to pick it up herself in Dublin and get on with taking it.

The chemist said 1 now and another in a week (not 2 weeks) to be double-y sure it's killed. Get 6 in a pack incase anyone needs the information.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Closing this. You really should stick to asking medical professionals and not internet randomers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement