Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple and Microsoft join forces to impede progress

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

Piliger wrote: »
    No. They transferred patents they own to a designated company they use to troll with them. Perfectly legitimate.

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

smee again wrote: »
    FYP

Please do NOT edit what you are quoting me to have said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

Please stop making MS out to be an ordinary decent company, they are anything but.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

This is easily the most retarded thread I have ever read on boards - worse than anything on the soccer forum..

As an aside, Google apparently acted quite strange during the bidding process:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/02/us-dealtalk-nortel-google-idUSTRE76104L20110702
    "It became clear that they were bidding with the distance between the earth and the sun. One was the sum of a famous mathematical constant, and then when it got to $3 billion, they bid pi," the source said, adding the bid was $3.14159 billion.

"Either they were supremely confident or they were bored."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

As much as I hate hearing about these "patent wars" and how one company is evil hurting their 'innocent' competitor it has to be done sometimes. Certain patents, the page turn Apple have, shouldn't of really been granted as it is an obvious method for using the app as it would be used in a real physical book.

However the old 'rectangle with rounded corners' just is a ridiculous argument to make against Apple. It was a lot more than that, some of the slides showing the two phones side by side showed how similar they really were, comparing to previous phone designs Samsung had used. Not sure how true they were but some of the articles published on tech sites about internal documents with a policy that Samsung should copy Apple designs were a bit too much, showing that they intentionally set out to mimic the original iPhone.

Right now I don't think they look similar, comparing the iPhone 5s and the Galaxy S4, they're both rectangles with rounded corners but I could easily tell the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

smee again wrote: »
    That is just wrong, Google want people using their services on all platforms.

The only thing stopping me using Google products on the iPad is they intentionally cripple functionality/UI/design on the iPad. Not being able to right click links or zoom being the two most rage inducing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Take the infamous Apple v Samsung case last year. The vast majority of the claims were about small things

That isn't true at all.

Samsung copied the Apple product at various levels, from software, hardware, packaging and advertising material.

They also wrote a 132 page detailed document explaining what features to change/remove so their product would match the iPhone.

They even had usability study reports where your average consumer couldn't tell the difference. Also an email discussion from Google who not only said their products looked too similar, but that they should probably change it or they may be sued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Somecrimesitry

Zascar wrote: »
    http://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/apple-microsoft-impede-google-progress-fea

I realise I'm running into the lions den to throw rocks right now - but I still want to highlight this and hear your thoughts.

Yes I know they are entitled to protect their brand but patent trolling is not cool when we the users suffer. The only winners here are the lawyers. Apple are an incredible company but they infuriate me in so many ways...

Looks like people jumped to the wrong conclusions on this one:

In an interview with Intellectual Asset Management, Veschi described the suit as an independently made business decision. He said, “It was entirely my call based on the facts in front of me. The shareholders got an email telling them what had happened after the suits were issued.”

Veschi has been in charge of these patents since 2008, first as Nortel’s IP chief and then as CEO of Rockstar since 2011. He says Rockstar was not influenced by Apple or any other shareholder.

“I understand that it might be sexy to say that they are pulling the strings, but actually it is also slightly insulting to us,” he said. “We are running the business. We do that job and they do their jobs and that’s it.”

http://bgr.com/2013/11/22/apple-google-patent-war-analysis/

Advertisement