Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos - a cautionary tale

Options
  • 07-11-2013 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

****Sorry Mods you may want to move this to the rant section which I just noticed*****

I bought an exercise bike for a present for Mrs. Coldcake (her idea)and it was delivered to our home yesterday.

After assembling this item, it was apparent the display unit was defective. It was not damaged in transport, but rather it was a faulty unit assembled in the factory and a clear case of no quality control being performed on the item.

However, I can’t hold Argos responsible for a faulty product from one of their suppliers. However, what I had to go through this morning secured the fact that I would never buy anything in Argos again.

First, the only number supplied on the Irish website was a UK number which probably cost me a small fortune to ring.

I called this number only to be told that they did not look after this product as I was in Ireland. I was then given another number to call, only to be told that they too had no responsibility for this item as it was purchased in Ireland.

I was given the first number again and was told to wait and held on hold for ten minutes while someone went to talk to someone about what I should do next.

I was then cut-off!

I called back only to be told I was through to a different call centre. This person mumbled his way through the call in a disinterested way and then said he couldn’t help me but would put me through to someone who could.

He didn’t, but rather put me through to another call centre where I was placed in a 20 minute queue where I was told on multiple occasions by an automated voice that I could continue to hold or call back later. Boy some choice there!! Please remember all the time I was making a call to the UK from Ireland.

Eventually, I got through to a human who was in fairness very helpful and said that no I did not need to send the whole exercise bike back but they would just replace the display unit, contrary to what I was told by previous agents.

I am totally fed-up with Argos I really should of followed my guts on this and bought elsewhere. Just hoping the last agent follows up on her promise and they contact me soon.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Rang wrong phone number and got the runaround thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭coldcake

Rang wrong phone number and got the runaround thread.

http://www.argos.ie/static/StaticDisplay/includeName/ReturnsAndRefunds.htm

the number under what if there is a fault with my product is a UK number. you only highlight more crap service if they have a free phone number i could have used

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭MisterKipling

why didn't u just return it to the store?

why didn't u just return it to the store?

home delivery only item

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

coldcake wrote: »
    home delivery only item

Home DELIVERY fair enough but you could have called to your local store to realise the problem. I guarantee they would have sorted it for you. They did for me in the past, no problem. Actually, they could not have been nicer and I now shop there more than I did up to that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Leitrim Lady

Did you buy it in a store?.my experience has been great for delivery items and the person serving always pointed out the 2 phone numbers on the receipt.They have one for ringing especially from a mobile which is good.If you bought online I'm not sure of info supplied but in fairness as an above post points out there is an Irish number on the website ....on the positive side I presume the item can still be used until you get this faulty part?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Argos customer service is normally excellent when it comes to a faulty item. Phone the store where you bought the item and they should sort it out for you.

Miaireland wrote: »
    Argos customer service is normally excellent when it comes to a faulty item. Phone the store where you bought the item and they should sort it out for you.

only relating my experience. i bought the item online i called the number which was indicated on the website and ended up in a world of pain.

maybe i lorcaned by not looking for a different number but why would i not use the number they indicate i should use.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Miaireland wrote: »
    Argos customer service is normally excellent when it comes to a faulty item.
    Pretty much the only reason I buy anything in argos is due to their excellent returns policy.
    maybe i lorcaned by not looking for a different number but why would i not use the number they indicate i should use.
    I would have looked for an irish one to avoid the cost and to speak to someone local. I think people are being too harsh on you though, they should have the irish number in the refund section and it is probably an oversight or mistake on their side.

I use the site: command in google to search for contact info on site.

Like this, the irish number is the first to show, 3 down
    https://www.google.ie/#q=returns+phone+site:http%3A%2F%2Fwww.argos.ie%2F&safe=off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Iopu

Argos have been great for me in the past. I've gotten plenty of exchanges or refunds from them with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

Had an issue with an Argos bought item before and they were entirely helpful in resolving the issue. You do of course need to be careful with what you buy from them as they sell some really budget quality stuff but that is simply their position in the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Have to say I would normally be a fan of Argos, but my own recent experiences with Argos Home Delivery have been very poor. See my previous post here in this forum and then this one in Ranting & Raving

Long story short, twice they were supposed to collect a broken bed. The first time they had no idea they had something to collect, the second time they didn't bother showing up at all

I would not recommend Argos Home Delivery based on this experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Home DELIVERY fair enough but you could have called to your local store to realise the problem. I guarantee they would have sorted it for you. They did for me in the past, no problem. Actually, they could not have been nicer and I now shop there more than I did up to that point.
    That may be, but it's no excuse for being poorly treated over the phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

However, I can’t hold Argos responsible for a faulty product from one of their suppliers. However, what I had to go through this morning secured the fact that I would never buy anything in Argos again.
    Your contract is with Argos, not with the manufacturer, so Argos are your first port of call. And going by my and others past experiences, they're more than happy to facilitate returns, redress etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

only relating my experience. i bought the item online i called the number which was indicated on the website and ended up in a world of pain.

WTF is lorcaning?

newmug wrote: »
    WTF is lorcaning?

to lorcan= to make a stupid mistake

Your contract is with Argos, not with the manufacturer, so Argos are your first port of call. And going by my and others past experiences, they're more than happy to facilitate returns, redress etc.

hence them being my first port of call leading to my difficulties with them. my problem is not so much with calling a UK nnumber but rather being passed from pillar to post. and the issue is unresolved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

There's a 1800 and an 01 number on their website, specifically for issues with home delivery orders in Ireland. That's probably why no one was able to help you in the England number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I bought an item in Argos before and returned it:

'What's wrong with it?'

'I don't want to assemble it'.

'No problem' money back.

• Advertisement

There's a 1800 and an 01 number on their website, specifically for issues with home delivery orders in Ireland. That's probably why no one was able to help you in the England number.

Had to call them again today so used the 1800 number, but guess what? You get through to the same UK call centre!

Again the number I called is the one listed on the Irish site for products and returns. So if they have that number listed as the one I should contact then why would I search for another number.

Now follow along... if it is the number listed, then they should be able to help me first time. Am I crazy for thinking this. People seem to think so.

Also the Irish number listed was for sales and they transferred me to another number when I called that today and it took multiple transfers again today including speaking to the same agent twice.

Again this is just my experience, and I'm happy that people have not experienced similar. But I have to say I would not use them for home delivery items again based on my experience.

Anyway I think I have resolution today, they said they would deliver a new part in two weeks time. Mrs cake will just have to wait to use her present.

Anyway, as the title suggests this is a cautionary tale for people thinking of having a large item home delivered. They would seem to be set up for the UK market better than Ireland.

In fairness to Argos, other people on the Boards seem to think they offer a good service.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭Morph the Cat

Sounds like you got coldcaked by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭mickzer

to lorcan= to make a stupid mistake

Where did that come from?
    Never heard it before...

mickzer

mickzer wrote: »
    Never heard it before...

mickzer

It's obviously an in joke between him & his mates.

mickzer wrote: »
    Sounds like you got coldcaked by them.
    Never heard it before...

mickzer

It's a common term. It's when <SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - please stay on topic, and keep the less savoury comments for other forums

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

However, I can’t hold Argos responsible for a faulty product from one of their suppliers.
    You can and you should.

Advertisement