Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air rifle

Options
  • 07-11-2013 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Do you need a training cert for an air rifle licence if it's your first gun

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Things don't quite work that way. You need a firearms licence for it; that can be either the full licence or a training licence. If it's your first firearm and someone with their own firearm is training you to shoot safely, you can get a training licence (and that someone has to have a full licence on your air rifle too). Otherwise, get a full licence.
    The main reason for the training licences was to allow under-16s involved in competitive target shooting to start competing more seriously earlier than they previously could so as to let the compete on a more level playing field with their international counterparts, but it was left open for anyone over 16 to get one as well just because it offered another route into the sport; but it's not a mandatory route.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 boltaction13

I had to do a safety training corse for my first shotgun at my local clay grounds. The air rifle is for a friend and it's first gun does a air rifle need a safety course

You need some sort of proof of competency for the licence; and paperwork aside, it's a really really bad idea to get a firearm and not get some training in it's safe use. (Some folks will say "but it's only an airgun, it's not a real gun" if you mention this to them. Ignore them, they're wrong. I'm tempted to joke that you should hit them in the head with the butt of the gun and ask them if they still think it's harmless, but just in case, let's not go there :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 32 boltaction13

I agree with you but a shotgun course would have no relevance to an air rifle do you know is there an air rifle safety course

WTSC used to run one but we haven't in ages and it was more oriented to ISSF air rifle anyway. For your average breakbarrel hunting/plinking air rifle? No idea I'm afraid. Maybe one of the other posters will know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Any rifle course will do, doesn't have to be an air rifle one specifically.

Probably know this already but he'll have to get a safe in too because it's a rifle.

Advertisement