Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estates in Claregalway

Options
  • 07-11-2013 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Looking for some info on living in Claregalway... Currently looking at some houses that are for sale in 'Cuairt na Habhainn'? There seems to be alot of repossessions happening in there so wondering what the story is? Is it a rough estate \ repossessions due to investors \ or is it normally effected with flooding?

Thanks in advance for any responses :) ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

People are very wary of Claregalway after floods a few years ago. Make sure you check flood plains before buying. It could be next to impossible to get house insurance due to the risk of flooding too but I could be wrong on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

A LOT of those houses were bought to rent out,

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Just researching this very topic. This thread is from 4 months ago, I know, but would there be any more information on Cuirt na hAbhainn?

I know that most (all?) of the properties for sale currently are from NAMA.

I see that it was also mentioned as being a ghost estate in the Dáil.

Anyone familiar with it or live there? Is it an ok place to live? The back part of the estate was affected by the flooding in 2010 but as far as I know, houses weren't damaged, just access roads and open, unfinished ground, maybe some unfinished houses. The front part was untouched.

Some further photos on this on Flickr by Seoirsemor.

The issue of the developer being bust, etc might impact the upkeep of the estste and management fees, etc, I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Naux

aw wrote: »
    Just researching this very topic. This thread is from 4 months ago, I know, but would there be any more information on Cuirt na hAbhainn?

I know that most (all?) of the properties for sale currently are from NAMA.

I see that it was also mentioned as being a ghost estate in the Dáil.

Anyone familiar with it or live there? Is it an ok place to live? The back part of the estate was affected by the flooding in 2010 but as far as I know, houses weren't damaged, just access roads and open, unfinished ground, maybe some unfinished houses. The front part was untouched.

Some further photos on this on Flickr by Seoirsemor.

The issue of the developer being bust, etc might impact the upkeep of the estste and management fees, etc, I would think.

They have constructed a flood eye on the Clare river at Claregalway since 2009 to try and prevent flooding(now the flooding occurs further downriver). I'm open to correction but Claregalway village seems to have been fine since that.

I cannot help you out regarding the estate, no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

It's a nice estate but research the past flood issues before buying, I heard there were some sewage issues in past which were probably caused by water levels during floods. It would be great for residents if the estate gets finished and pathway into the village which was planned gets built.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Chuckieawrlaw

Not a rough estate atall .. Very quiet and very boring .. There is alot of houses down the back that are half built .. If you are moving in it would probably be best to have a house closest to the main road as possible ... The whole estate is very safe overall .. Nice place and can walk onto the gaa pitch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Naux wrote: »
    They have constructed a flood eye on the Clare river at Claregalway since 2009 to try and prevent flooding(now the flooding occurs further downriver). I'm open to correction but Claregalway village seems to have been fine since that.

What is a "flood eye" and how does that move the floodplain?
    I remember a relative working in the council telling me they were crazy to build some of those houses in a known flood plain. He said it was only a matter of time and sure enough the floods came and will come again to Claregalway.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Naux

What is a "flood eye" and how does that move the floodplain?
    I remember a relative working in the council telling me they were crazy to build some of those houses in a known flood plain. He said it was only a matter of time and sure enough the floods came and will come again to Claregalway.

"Flood eye" as I understand it involved widening the space under the bridge on the N17 to allow greater volumes of water though. Less chance of water backing up and flooding.

Why don't you ask your relative who works in the council why the council gave planning permission for the developers to build the houses on the flood plains in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Naux wrote: »
    Why don't you ask your relative who works in the council why the council gave planning permission for the developers to build the houses on the flood plains in the first place?

He no longer works in the council and was not in planning at the time. He did discuss it with a few people in the council but his "advice" was ignored. He even warned the site foreman when they started building. It still went ahead. Galway CoCo...

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aoraki

The works that were done on the bridge have greatly improved the situation regarding the bridge in Claregalway. They have doubled the size of the bridge allowing twice as much water as before to flow through underneath it. Whether it fixes the problem permanently in another question, but we had many consecutive weeks of rain in the winter just past and there was no flooding problems in the village. Even back in 2009 none of the houses in the estates near the river were actually flooded (although they were very close to)

That estate that you mention is a nice enough estate, but the portion of the estate at the very back is still a building site in effect, with many unfinished houses. So as somebody else mentioned here, if you are going to live there then maybe pick somewhere closer to the main road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 valovalo

Hi
    Just wondering if this estate Cuirt an Hbhainn is till available to look at houses for sale or has any one any info regarding same
    It's a shame to still see so many houses empty and unfinished when I would be only waiting to try and buy out there as would suit work ect,
    Any info would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭b4bmm

How has claregalway been with the recent storms in regards to flooding around estates?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bumik

I was living on Cuirt Na Habhainn estate for good few years, back houses. Houses are terrible build, cracks on walls appearing every year, houses are not properly insulated. Gardens are full of water for most part of the year. Nearly every second year we got the sand bags to be prepared for flooding. Back estate is to close to river & won`t be surprised if will be flooded in near future again. For good few years huge problems with rats getting in to the houses, management company couldn`t stop it. Rats were nearly a cat size. Just one good thing on estate were the cheap rents & gas heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭b4bmm

Why did you stay there for a good few years if it was so bad?

Only reason was cheap rent but once my kid was born we moved out, was enough.

Over 30 houses taken by City council & Tuath housing association. Half of the estate on the front. I'm living close enough & can see that long term residents started selling houses as troubles with new traveler Tuath residents started few weeks back. Goverment, Nama, KPMG ruined the estate. Don't consider to move in.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭loriexxx

bumik wrote: »
    Over 30 houses taken by City council & Tuath housing association. Half of the estate on the front. I'm living close enough & can see that long term residents started selling houses as troubles with new traveler Tuath residents started few weeks back. Goverment, Nama, KPMG ruined the estate. Don't consider to move in.

Looking at buying a house in Cuairt na Habhain and this is quite worrying. Is it the houses down the back that they have taken. The houses up the front seem nice

loriexxx wrote: »
    Looking at buying a house in Cuairt na Habhain and this is quite worrying. Is it the houses down the back that they have taken. The houses up the front seem nice

Houses at the front taken already, I will post numbers tomorrow if you want. End of estate taken by Galway Council but no new residents yet. At the front they moved few weeks back and can assure you that houses are sold due to issues with travelers comunnity moved in.. ;/

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MrKee

bumik wrote: »

Unfortunatelly I have to agree with bumik, I`m living at the estate currently and can only say that things are going in the wrong way.
    Cuirt Na Habhainn WAS nice estate but all changed after houses were taken by the Tuath & Council.
    Residents are getting sick & deciding to sell the houses.
    There were lots of unnacceptable behaviours in last few weeks at the front of the estate ( won`t post examples on public forum)
    In fairness we are thinking to put our house as well soon as seems nothing is going to change in future.
    Me and my wife are sick of the goverment, NAMA & KPMG. Cuirt Na Habhainn will be nice example how they ruin nice estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rayray star

Hi just wondering does anyone know what the estate An Mhanistir in Claregalway is like to live?

• Advertisement
Advertisement