Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping cat away from the kitchen top and sink

• 07-11-2013 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Ok, so my cat has mastered the art of jumping and he is now jumping up to the kitchen top. He just walks around sniffing at food and obviously I've got a wicker basket with a lid to put all food stuff inside. He sometimes drinks water out of the sink and just sits there resting!!!

While I find this a funny side of him and it doesn't really bother me so much as I just love him to bits and I'm very meticulous about cleaning but my roommate is not really cat person and only likes him when it suits her which is very sad. She yesterday made a comment saying that we (which means I ) have to get a spray to keep him away from the kitchen top and I'm thinking of ordering the spray thingy from zooplus in the next order.

Realistically speaking, would this stop him from jumping up to the kitchen top? I have a feeling even with this spray he will keep jumping up and walking around the top cuz he's a cat!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Tin foil spread on the kitcen should put him off and water in the sink will stop him wanting to sit in it! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You only need it for a couple of weeks, they will just stop after.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Also give your cat something else to sit on that's higher up (i.e. tower, shelf etc.); they often remain on the counter because it's the best spotting position in the room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

A water pistol! Did that with mine. After a couple of weeks, all I had to do was show it to them...

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭JaneeMack

Nody wrote: »
    Also give your cat something else to sit on that's higher up (i.e. tower, shelf etc.); they often remain on the counter because it's the best spotting position in the room.

I already have a cat tower and a table. He spends time on all of them and also the kitchen top. We don't leave food around so I wonder if it just the height that attracts him.

Has anybody used the cat repellent spray on the kitchen top? :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

There are motion activated aerosols that you can get that give a loud hiss of air that spooks the cat. You just place it were they usually jump up or an area that you don't want them to go in. Theoretically, when the cat triggers it often enough they see the area as hostile and avoid it. Some people find them handy as you can't always be around when the cat jumps up on a surface.

Personally with 4 cats I've just gotten used to cleaning the surfaces before I prepare food, I don't even want to think about what they get up to when I'm not around:D

Its called sssscat

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

JaneeMack wrote: »
    I already have a cat tower and a table. He spends time on all of them and also the kitchen top. We don't leave food around so I wonder if it just the height that attracts him.

Has anybody used the cat repellent spray on the kitchen top? :(
    Tried the spray; no luck personally. Another option is double sided tape; kitties hate that (at least ours).

A water pistol! Did that with mine. After a couple of weeks, all I had to do was show it to them...

I would put money on that cat being all over that counter top when you're not there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

You are right, Cuddlesworth!

OP I think this is something you have to learn to live with, with cats. I couldn't use an aversive like a water pistol to keep them off the counters. It doesn't work, anyways! They just do it when you're not around! Re: the sink - cats prefer to drink fresh, running water, rather than from a bowl. If you can provide him with a drinking fountain (check out www.zooplus.ie) it would be one less reason for him to be up there. But you have to understand that cats are arboreal creatures that are happiest up off the ground.

I would put money on that cat being all over that counter top when you're not there.

Nope. Don't agree. Worked for me. Cats NEVER went on the counters after that. Also used to stop cat No.1 running up my legs.

• Advertisement

Nope. Don't agree. Worked for me. Cats NEVER went on the counters after that. Also used to stop cat No.1 running up my legs.

If your happy believing that then.......

But is the tower in the kitchen? Cats like to take the highest position possible to be able to watch what's going on; if your kitchen top is that place in that room then they'll want to go there. Hence by giving them another higher area to see what's going on (a high scratch pole will usually do) you can redirect that need easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Personally with 4 cats I've just gotten used to cleaning the surfaces before I prepare food, I don't even want to think about what they get up to when I'm not around:D

Sounds familiar!!
    We come down every morning to find multiple track marks across the counter. Used to just wiping it down at this stage. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭JaneeMack

Nody wrote: »
    But is the tower in the kitchen? Cats like to take the highest position possible to be able to watch what's going on; if your kitchen top is that place in that room then they'll want to go there. Hence by giving them another higher area to see what's going on (a high scratch pole will usually do) you can redirect that need easier.

I have the cat tower which is slightly taller or smaller height to the kitchen top but it is next to the window facing the garden. I will move the tower next to the kitchen to see if he stops going to the kitchen top.

I honestly don't mind if my cat jumps up there - i think that's what cats do. It's just a hassle of living with someone who doesn't like cats. (She liked him when he was a kitten)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I've tried tinfoil on the counters, sssscat, spraying water, had a cat tree next to it - nothing helped. I've given up on this and just live with it now. You can try a few things and see if anything works, but if it doesn't, you and your roommate will just have to learn to live with it and not get stressed about it. Keep some wipes nearby and just clean the counter when you're going to prepare food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'm sure I read somewhere (possibly here) that somebody put some tape with the stickside up/doublesided tape on their counter and it stopped the cat lol - didn't like the stickness on it's paws! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

tk123 wrote: »
    I'm sure I read somewhere (possibly here) that somebody put some tape with the stickside up/doublesided tape on their counter and it stopped the cat lol - didn't like the stickness on it's paws! :D

Tried that too :D She just learned to jump a bit higher so she would land behind the tape.. :rolleyes: And the tape was very hard to get off the surface again afterwards.

tk123 wrote: »
    I've successfully used it to stop scratching on furniture with multiple cats (but now they started doing it UNDER the sofa and I can't put it there as it's their hiding spots the cheeky gits; they got three scratch poles and a tower to scratch in that room!) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

While I find this a funny side of him and it doesn't really bother me so much as I just love him to bits and I'm very meticulous about cleaning but my roommate is not really cat person and only likes him when it suits her which is very sad.

I have to say I love cats and animals in general, but I am totally with your flatmate here. I hate cats on tables/surfaces.
    We had cats growing up and they never got up on any of the counters or table -even with meat etc left out. I'd love to know how my mum trained them not to do that.

If your happy believing that then.......

I am. You have your POV. I have mine....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 323gtr

<snip>

Have a holiday from this forum. If you ever post like that again here, it'll be a permanent ban.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

323gtr wrote: »
    <snip>

Have a holiday from this forum. If you ever post like that again here, it'll be a permanent ban.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Ban has been extended to permanent, thanks to several delightful, mature and considered PMs from this user.
    Talk about stretching the "don't be a dick" rule to its fullest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭pawrick

My cat is generally good when I'm around. I don't mind her getting up on the counter so much as it comes with the territory of having a cat. Any time she looks like she is about to jump up I call her and she moves off or else I go over and move her somewhere else in the room and distract her with toys. I especially hated seeing her sitting in the sink when I got her first.
    My solution was to remove what seemed to be drawing her to the counters and sink - that being the the water in the sink/sitting in it for what ever reason. I put a chopping board over the sink + now she seldom bothers with climbing up to get at it. I can see your house mates point not wanting your cat on the counters, it's understandable and small things like these can become big issues. you wont solve the problem completely but you might be able to reduce it by making the area less appealing and that might go a long way to satisfying your housemate when they see you are trying.

Advertisement