Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

power usage calc

Options
  • 07-11-2013 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Just wondering how much power an amp will use when plugged in 24/7. its for cable TV 8 way amplifier with bypass (proception) and states 3pin ,3 amp.

Assuming 220v supply then using P=v *i this implies will draw 660 watts when operational !! is this correct or am i missing something - over a year this would be a lot of electricity.

maybe this is max rated power and actual a lot less?? would have thought so...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

doesn't sound right..too high

that sounds like the fuse rating

usually you go by the wattage...i thought all appliances would have to have the wattage marked on them?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

agentsmith wrote: »
    Just wondering how much power an amp will use when plugged in 24/7. its for cable TV 8 way amplifier with bypass (proception) and states 3pin ,3 amp.

What do you mean 3 pin 3 amp? Do you mean that it has a 3 pin plug with a 3 pin fuse?

Have a look at the amp, it should have a name plate that states how many watts it is rated at.

Another option is to look for a data sheet for the amp online.
    From this it may be possible to find out what the power consumption of the amp is on standby mode. I would expect this figuer to be far less than when the unit is powered up.

Your calculation should take into account that the amp will spend much of the time on standby mode.

A unit of electricity costs about €0.17 and is the equivelent of 1,000 Watts for one hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Clearly the 3 pin, 3 amp description is simply a description of the 13 amp plug with a 3 amp fuse fitted. The watt hour usage will be a lot lower than the 3 amp fuse rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭agentsmith

Agree - clearly a fuse rating. Website just noted 3pin,3amp with no other details. Knew didn't sound right but through me a bit.

found spec sheet for the relevant 28r mk3 unit which seems to show max 6w power requirement assuming all 8 lines active with sky eyes also? - much more like it.

thanks for replies.

Advertisement