Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing OpenWrt in Huawei HG556a

Options
  • 07-11-2013 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I recently bought a Huawei HG556a(HG55VDFA VER C.) from Vodafone and been using it OK with my Huawei 3G Dongle plugged in. But later I found out that the options I needed is not available there. For an example, turning off DHCP is not there. So I Googled for a solution and stumbled upon an article on Installing OpenWrt in my router and getting the options I need. I took a look at OpenWrt website on how to install it on my router but It's a little complicated for me. So can anyone guide me through the process with rather simple instructions? And the other thing is, I wanna know when I install this on my router, will it still support my 3G Dongle as I need it to connect to the internet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

There's another thread on this somewhere. Not sure if it will support your dongle. I know OpenWRT on that (God awful) box does disable the ADSL section however.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

AFAIK the current version of OpenWrt for HG556A does not support ADSL if that is important to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aroshlakshan

ADSL is not currently important to me. But USB Internet Dongle is. That's how I connect to the internet. Will that work right away when I install OpenWrt or do I have to perform any other installations to make it work? Btw, the Dongle is a Huawei E173.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I've no idea if the dongle will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

ADSL is not currently important to me. But USB Internet Dongle is. That's how I connect to the internet. Will that work right away when I install OpenWrt or do I have to perform any other installations to make it work? Btw, the Dongle is a Huawei E173.

Read this to see if it helps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement