Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acting as witness/rep at disciplinary

Options
  • 07-11-2013 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey

Long time boards user here but would prefer to remain anonymous in this one.

One of my colleagues has been called in for a disciplinary meeting next week, and to be honest it aint looking good.

I think i'll be going in as a witness/representative with him.

What am i allowed to do/say or is it just a case of me sitting there as a witness??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

I think usually you're just there as a witness. Your work should have a disciplinary procedure, details of what you're allowed/expected to do should be in there.

If not, drop HR a line and ask them to clarify your role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Hey

Long time boards user here but would prefer to remain anonymous in this one.

One of my colleagues has been called in for a disciplinary meeting next week, and to be honest it aint looking good.

I think i'll be going in as a witness/representative with him.

What am i allowed to do/say or is it just a case of me sitting there as a witness??

I suppose it really depends if yuore there as a witness or a representitive.. As a witness to an event/situation its reasonable that you'd be allowed to comment or give your account of the event..
    But if your there as a support to the person then typically you should have no input into the proceedings..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

If he thinks he's on the way out, and it's unjustified, he should consult an employment solicitor now. Most businesses don't conduct disciplinaries properly and rely heavily on people 'playing ball'. Getting a solicitor involved at this stage may result in a more favourable outcome re references etc. They need not attend the actual meeting themselves.

For your part, it sounds like you're going as the support person. Best thing you can do is write down every word.

Advertisement