Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reversed into car

Options
  • 07-11-2013 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

I reversed into a car and damaged the front left corner. The side panel has to be replaced and she has a quote of just under €1,100. She got this quote from a panel beater her boyfriend knows. The panel beater does not accept credit/debit cards. Does this quote sound about right or should I arrange to get my own quote for the damage?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

NR04 wrote: »
    I reversed into a car and damaged the front left corner. The side panel has to be replaced and she has a quote of just under €1,100. She got this quote from a panel beater her boyfriend knows. The panel beater does not accept credit/debit cards. Does this quote sound about right or should I arrange to get my own quote for the damage?

You should get your own quote, sounds like she is chancing her arm I bet he doesn't do receipts either.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭NR04

bumper234 wrote: »
    You should get your own quote, sounds like she is chancing her arm I bet he doesn't do receipts either.

How would I go about arranging that? Do I have to ask her to drive to the garage or will they go to her?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The OP can get quotes till the cows come home but if he or she has accepted liability then the other party is entitled to get the work done by where and whom they choose.

What the OP can do however if he/she is not happy with the quote, is claim through his/her own insurance who will send out an assessor to examine the damage to the other car. No guarantee it will be any cheaper and you may loose your No Claims Bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

How would I go about arranging that? Do I have to ask her to drive to the garage or will they go to her?

I would ring her and say I want a second opinion please go to xyz garage and get a quote. If you know a mechanic yourself you could bring him to look at the car and give a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

What if the xyz garage does a sh*t job of the repair? they the innocent party would loose out again there already loosing out on the time they will be without their car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Without seeing a picture or knowing what the car is it is impossible to be certain. It seems like a lot for a wing but if it needs a wing, a bumper and some trim it could reach €1100. You could use your insurance as has already been said, I'd just pony up and pay it if I made a mistake and him someones car like that.

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would ring her and say I want a second opinion please go to xyz garage and get a quote. If you know a mechanic yourself you could bring him to look at the car and give a quote.

But the other party is not obliged to get another quote. I know if it were me and the OP rang and said that he/she wants another quote, I would tell them no and to either pay the quoted figure directly to the garage or let your insurance company deal with it.

I know it sucks and open to abuse but the injured party is entitled to get the work done at a garage of their choice. If the liable party is not happy with the quoted figure then they can open a claim with their own insurance who will send an assessor to examine the damage. The downside is that you could loose your NCB depending on your policy.

ElKavo wrote: »
    What if the xyz garage does a sh*t job of the repair? they the innocent party would loose out again there already loosing out on the time they will be without their car.

From my understanding it was all going to be done within a day but I am not certain on that. I have a feeling she'll start complaining if I ask her to visit another garage. Does anybody know any panel beaters around the Raheny area?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

If you know a mechanic yourself you could bring him to look at the car and give a quote.

you don't bring a car needing body work to a mechanic..:rolleyes: , you bring it to a pnale beater or bodyshop.

+ 1 on Bazz's advice and comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Ask her to provide a quote from a reputable company.

• Advertisement

Ask her to provide a quote from a reputable company.

I'd say a reputable company will charge more. IME

From my understanding it was all going to be done within a day but I am not certain on that. I have a feeling she'll start complaining if I ask her to visit another garage. Does anybody know any panel beaters around the Raheny area?

Do you have a picture of the damage done to the other car?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

Personally I would tell her no problem, you will be paying by crossed cheque and you need a VAT invoice and will also need a VAT receipt with the companies VAT number on it once the work is complete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

If you said that to me, I'd tell you that I was no longer interested in settling privately and to put it through your insurance. It is my right to get it fixed where I want and if you don't like the estimate I provide, it is up to you to prove where it is exaggerated by hiring a professional assessor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Tbh you may have to suck this one up. The damaged party has rights to get compensated for the knock their car got. Where they decide to bring to get fixed is their business. You can offer to get a quote from a different crowd but being honest it may work out to be even more expensive. Either way she is giving the work to her brothers panel beater so there ain't much you can possibly do.

The other option as mentioned if 1100 is too much is let your insurance company sort it out. She will still get the 1100 that was quoted by her panel beater, you on the other hand will have a claim against your name and lose your no claims etc.

On top of that she doesn't have to get it fixed at all. If she wanted to she could sell the car although with damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

OP if you are not happy with the quote then go through insurance. You can always pay the money back to your insurer before your renewal and it shouldnt affect your policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

The other driver is also entitled to a loan car while theirs is off the road.
    They are also entitled to have it repaired at garage of their choice to original standard.
    If your not happy in anyway with their generous offer then let your insurance company deal with it.

I'm sure they would rather go through insurance company because all the hassle is removed they get a loan car while theirs is being repaired and they won't have to deal with someone begrudgingly paying for damaging their car.

Without seeing a picture or knowing what the car is it is impossible to be certain. It seems like a lot for a wing but if it needs a wing, a bumper and some trim it could reach €1100. You could use your insurance as has already been said, I'd just pony up and pay it if I made a mistake and him someones car like that.

'c

It needs a new side panel and a bumper.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

djimi wrote: »
    OP if you are not happy with the quote then go through insurance. You can always pay the money back to your insurer before your renewal and it shouldnt affect your policy.

???

No you can't

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

padma wrote: »
    Tbh you may have to suck this one up. The damaged party has rights to get compensated for the knock their car got. Where they decide to bring to get fixed is their business. You can offer to get a quote from a different crowd but being honest it may work out to be even more expensive. Either way she is giving the work to her brothers panel beater so there ain't much you can possibly do.

The other option as mentioned if 1100 is too much is let your insurance company sort it out. She will still get the 1100 that was quoted by her panel beater, you on the other hand will have a claim against your name and lose your no claims etc.

On top of that she doesn't have to get it fixed at all. If she wanted to she could sell the car although with damage.

There's sucking it up and there's then there's being ripped off. Not sure of the damage but it seems saucy.

When someone backed into me before I offered to get 3 quotes from places of my choice. She was happy with that then.

• Advertisement

visual wrote: »
    The other driver is also entitled to a loan car while theirs is off the road.
    They are also entitled to have it repaired at garage of their choice to original standard.
    If your not happy in anyway with their generous offer then let your insurance company deal with it.

I'm sure they would rather go through insurance company because all the hassle is removed they get a loan car while theirs is being repaired and they won't have to deal with someone begrudgingly paying for damaging their car.

I see where you are comming from. I don't know much about cars but I was expecting the quote to come in somewhere around that figure. I am prepared to pay 1,100 euro, but when she got in contact today to say the panel beater does not take credit or debit cards, I got a shock. I have always accepted responsibility and have been prepared to part with this months paycheck, but I don't want to be made a fool of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

There's sucking it up and there's then there's being ripped off. Not sure of the damage but it seems saucy.

When someone backed into me before I offered to get 3 quotes from places of my choice. She was happy with that then.

Bodywork is uncomfortably expensive. It's the nature of the beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭chessman

It needs a new side panel and a bumper.

$1000 sounds about right,but iwould insist on a receipt from whoever does the work,to keep youself protected from further claims.

So, I suppose it's not the quote that's scaring me, it's the panel beaters "cash only" policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

I see where you are comming from. I don't know much about cars but I was expecting the quote to come in somewhere around that figure. I am prepared to pay 1,100 euro, but when she got in contact today to say the panel beater does not take credit or debit cards, I got a shock. I have always accepted responsibility and have been prepared to part with this months paycheck, but I don't want to be made a fool of.

If the other driver went elsewhere it could very well be more expensive. Even if you found someone to repair it for 50 euro they have no obligation to use a garage you nomamated.
    Strange the garage doesn't take credit card but that's the way it is. They might be looking for cash and live with the damage. But don't get hung up on that they could do the same if it was being dealt with through insurance.

What you need to weigh up is if you sit on your hands procrastinating they could claim through your insurance. If you want to protect your NCB and deal without involving insurance you need to settle a cash deal.

Tell the other driver your stuck as you planed on borrowing off credit card and offer a smaller cash deal. They might also be stuck for cash and decide to accept a little less. Im think 900 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

So, I suppose it's not the quote that's scaring me, it's the panel beaters "cash only" policy.

Pay her with a cheque and cross it. Make a paper trail that you actually paid it and insist on a reciept.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Go through your insurance. Much less hassle to be honest. They'll clear up all the paperwork and you wont have a problem of them coming back later looking for more money. Once the case is done, it's done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

amdublin wrote: »
    ???

No you can't

Yes you can, standard practice

oldyouth wrote: »
    Yes you can, standard practice

+1

yes, you can .....the amount of incorrect info doled out here on boards is incredible.

• Advertisement

TheBoffin wrote: »
    Personally I would tell her no problem, you will be paying by crossed cheque and you need a VAT invoice and will also need a VAT receipt with the companies VAT number on it once the work is complete.

thats an idea, tell her you are vat reg'd, so you need a vat invoice made out to you ;)

Advertisement