Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delay light switches

Options
  • 07-11-2013 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭

Basically in a block of apartments there is a sensor light in each floor of the corridor there was originally a normal light and switch on each landing but the switches have blanks now and just sensor lights. As the sensor lights constantly cause trouble don't work. I want to change them back to normal ceiling pendants. But want to put a delay switch instead of normal switch.

Does anyone know anything about these delay switches the ones you press down like a normal switch and the light stays on for a minute and then goes off. Are they called delay switches ? And also are they wired the same as a normal single gang switch with a live and common? Finally what should I expect to pay for one with just a white plastic finish I'm going to go to an electrical wholesaler (kellihers).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

You can get time lag light switches. They are like a round button type wall switch, which you press, and they delay for a minute or more, then go off.

Like these.

They dont seem to be too cheap.

They might give problems too after a while.

The best method would probably have been corridoor/stairwell timer and momentary switches setup. Bit more involved to do than the time delay switches though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Bruthal wrote: »
    You can get time lag light switches. They are like a round button type wall switch, which you press, and they delay for a minute or more, then go off.

Like these.

They dont seem to be too cheap.

Thanks I never seen them before. The ones I was thinking of just look like a normal switch except you just press it down once and it delays for 60 secs or whatever. Probably the same thing. I don't want to put normal switches on them as there comunal areas so no one would bother to turn them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Bpmull wrote: »
    Thanks I never seen them before. The ones I was thinking of just look like a normal switch except you just press it down once and it delays for 60 secs or whatever. Probably the same thing. I don't want to put normal switches on them as there comunal areas so no one would bother to turn them off.

Yea you can get the ones which are like normal light switches, but if they are electronic type ones, will likely require a neutral at the switches to operate it. Them round pushbutton type ones are mechanical, so require no neutral.

Bruthal wrote: »
    Yea you can get the ones which are like normal light switches, but if they are electronic type ones, will likely require a neutral at the switches to operate it. Them round pushbutton type ones are mechanical, so require no neutral.

Ok I never thought of that thanks. It's an old enough place and I definitely don't want to be bringing neutrals to the switches. I might drop into the likes of kellihers and see if they do the mechanical one.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

Garo do a pneumatic time delay switch, trade price is approx 38 euro.
    Eterna do a electronic version, as to switch distribution.
    Switch do a version that you can wire a second retractive switch to the main unit for remote switching.

• Advertisement

Garo do a pneumatic time delay switch, trade price is approx 38 euro.
    Eterna do a electronic version, as to switch distribution.
    Switch do a version that you can wire a second retractive switch to the main unit for remote switching.

I got pneumatic ones from my local electrical place for 26 euro each there not garo but there good quality and not like some of the cheap ones you get online. Thanks for the advice.

Advertisement