Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paint on dog

• 07-11-2013 7:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi all, was doing some painting earlier and my jack russell ran into some paint and has it all along his side. Its a high gloss paint used for indoors. I tried getting it off at first with some baby wipes, but that just kinda settled in into the fur. It's not matted or anything like that it just looks like he has red fur. Anyone know any good safe way to get it off?

Also, is this harmful to him in anyway? I've been keeping an eye on him to make sure he doesn't try to clean in himself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Once it dries you might be able to brush it out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

Put the dog in the bath with warm water (not hot)

Put some turpentine on a rag and gently rub it then rub with some water on a sponge, keep repeating until its gone

Its important you dont allow the dog to drink the bathwater or to lick the area until you are done. Put the dog lead on if you can and put it around the taps.

Once the paint is gone, empty the bath and re-fill, wash the dog with baby shampoo or dog shampoo if you have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭TomCleverly

It's well dry, but it's not hardened or anything like that. Because of the baby wipes I just of kind of wiped it in.

TheBoffin wrote: »
    Put the dog in the bath with warm water (not hot)

Put some turpentine on a rag and gently rub it then rub with some water on a sponge, keep repeating until its gone

Its important you dont allow the dog to drink the bathwater or to lick the area until you are done. Put the dog lead on if you can and put it around the taps.

Once the paint is gone, empty the bath and re-fill, wash the dog with baby shampoo or dog shampoo if you have it.

Thanks will try this now. Was gonna use the turps earlier but was unsure was it the safest thing for him.

Thanks will try this now. Was gonna use the turps earlier but was unsure was it the safest thing for him.

Just make sure to use it sparingly and its a no-go if the dog has any cuts.

I had this dilemma before with oil and the vet recommended as i mentioned above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Could you not just leave it there? Or am I just too lazy to clean it off mine? :o One of mine rubbed up against a waste bin just painted gloss green and I just let it dry. It took weeks to wear off but as it was an oil based gloss I didn't want to take turps or white spirit etc near her skin. Had to answer questions as to why she was green mind you.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

I'd leave it. The dog probably isn't bothered by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Hi all, was doing some painting earlier and my jack russell ran into some paint and has it all along his side. Its a high gloss paint used for indoors. I tried getting it off at first with some baby wipes, but that just kinda settled in into the fur. It's not matted or anything like that it just looks like he has red fur. Anyone know any good safe way to get it off?

Also, is this harmful to him in anyway? I've been keeping an eye on him to make sure he doesn't try to clean in himself.

Shave it off or leave it. The chemicals required to dissolve the paint are too harsh and dangerous to be used on his hair, while combing it out would just pull his hair and upset him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Happened me during the Summer when my dog rubbed up against a garden table I was painting.

I just gave her a wash to take what it could off and then the rest wore off over a couple of weeks.

I did what TheBoffin suggested with turps, taking very good care not to let him lick it or anything like that, also using very small amount of turps on a cloth, then soaking the cloth in water. Afterwards I rinsed him like never before and gave him a savage scrubbing with dog shampoo after. Everything went pretty well.

I probably wouldn't do it again, cause I was worrying for the whole night even after the fine rinse and wash and anytime he went to clean himself I had to stop him. But all is well now.

• Advertisement

I was the same after our incident. Taking turps to a dog is not a light decision but in our case it was a situation where the oil might have caused more damage if the dog licked it vs a good scrub. Glad to hear all is well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

You could just cut the fur off. Mind he doesn't lick it and ingest the paint.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭oisinbutler

Hey, I'm a bit late to this. If it happens again or if anyone else has this problem get some cooking oil from your kitchen, any oil will do - olive oils sunflower etc. and rub it into the painted fur. Use a good amount. The oil will mix with the oil based paint, gloss undercoat etc and once its mixed in well get some washing up liquid and again use a good amount and rub it into the oil. Then rinse off with warm water and repaeat with washing up liquid if neccesary.
    The same goes for your hands. If you get an oil based paint on your hands don't use spirits to remove it. Just use cooking oil with some salt mixed into it, the salt acts as a grit and helps remove the paint. Then using washing up liquid wash it off.
    Best to do this before the paint has dried.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,536 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Happened my Samoyed. Eventually had to just cut it off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭oisinbutler

That'll work too!

Advertisement