Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where is this on the Kerry way?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

mikeymouse wrote: »
    It's listed as one of the most beautiful abandoned places on the Kerry way,
    between Kenmare and sneem.
    I'd love to see it, but not fit enough now to do the whole stage.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-IhdAhTnt8Q8/UcrzvkCYthI/AAAAAAAAB2I/dhHYHwpnSW8/s1600/The+Kerry+Way+walking+path+between+Sneem+and+Kenmare+in+Ireland+-+30+Abandoned+Places+that+Look+Truly+Beautiful.jpg

I don't know myself, but I done a quick google search and found this where that question was asked, only days ago.
    If no look here, then perhaps you might on that linkie I posted :)

Pretty sure if you do stage between Tahilla and Blackwater Bridge you should pass it.

Found it!

And it's near the road too.

On the Sneem side of Blackwater Bridge there is a turn off with a sign for "Maulcallee". Go up a few hundred yards, there is a yellow house on the left and after that a sign showing the Kerry Way trail. Walk up just a few hundred yards and you come to a fork, stay right and the house is just another 100 yards up that road.

Found it!

And it's near the road too.

On the Sneem side of Blackwater Bridge there is a turn off with a sign for "Maulcallee". Go up a few hundred yards, there is a yellow house on the left and after that a sign showing the Kerry Way trail. Walk up just a few hundred yards and you come to a fork, stay right and the house is just another 100 yards up that road.

Thanks for this!

Did you locate it yourself on one of your treks? :) Any photos of surrounds per chance?

Ran past it yesterday...or jogged might be more accurate.

No photos, never bring a camera with me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

Thank you Kerry and Conor,
    From your information I think I've located it on the OSI mapviewer
    (historic 25") up at the back of the old post office.
    I think it's at co-ords x,y 479227, 568332
    I'll have to pay a visit next time I'm in the area.

mikeymouse wrote: »
    Thank you Kerry and Conor,
    From your information I think I've located it on the OSI mapviewer
    (historic 25") up at the back of the old post office.
    I think it's at co-ords x,y 479227, 568332
    I'll have to pay a visit next time I'm in the area.

Oh mikeymouse, Please do! & Also Hope you post some pix from the surrounds too :) Perfect excuse to come back again soon.

I should say this much...the photo is pretty good, it's not as dramatic or deserted feeling when you're near it. Or at least there are more "wow, to think someone lived here" ruins in more remote areas in South Kerry and on lonelier stretches of the Kerry Way. I would travel a long distance to see them and the route, not to see this one house.

Advertisement