Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from Ireland to America...

Options
  • 07-11-2013 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭

Hello,I have always dreamed of moving to America and I mean ALWAYS.
    I never really liked Ireland because It doesn't really support my interests too well for example the gun laws are INCREDIBLY strict and the weather isn't all that great. I'm currently 17 and plan to make my move at 21 but I thought it might be a good time to begin the planning. I'm not hoping to live in a giant house with an amazing car or anything but I do want to own some firearms and live in a nice house in a nice area. Im in love with the American accent too :)

Does anyone know what is a nice place to live in America? I was thinking about Florida because of the gun laws and the homes are pretty nice. Car insurance is pretty cheap and I have been dreaming of driving a 2010 Camaro Black.
    Although I have read about the cost of living there and it seems to be a little high from what people say.

I was also wondering how people set up in a new country,I mean no house,no job and no family (possibly my case by the time) how do you go about establishing a life for yourself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

What are you planning on doing for money once you move over ? Do you have any skills/experience in any particular area ?

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Digy123

What are you planning on doing for money once you move over ? Do you have any skills/experience in any particular area ?

Currently studying Communications and I have done some advanced IT Courses in the past. I would like a Job in the IT sector but I also have a small amount of experience on building sites but that was only three months of experience. I would also be willing to go into the military is all else failed for me :)
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Digy123

Anyone have any input?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Do you have a US passport or what visa do you intend travelling on? Have you secured some sort of employer based sponsorship? In order to join the military you would still need to be either a US citizen or a Lawful Permanent Resident (Green Card Holder).

Before worrying about where you are going to live, what sort of car or gun you are going to buy you should really worry about how you are going to get admitted to the US to even get to the stage that you will be in a position to make any of these decisions.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1326.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

As Cushie said it is very, very difficult to legally move to the US to live/work. Either you get lucky and win the greencard lottery (see thread in the United States forum) or you get a company willing to sponser you and pay for your visa (like the greencard lottery these are also limited).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

You need to figure out visas first......unless you are a US citizen, you'll need to sort out a visa before going too far into plans on where to live.

Also, if you ever do get into the visa process.......avoid talking so much about your interest in guns. While there is an accepted gun culture in the US.....displaying an obsession with guns will not help you in the visa process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

What you can do is look for college courses that have internships hookups in the US. Some IT courses do. Working for a company as an intern gives you a decent chance of getting a full time job with them in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Firstly, have you ever been to America? You sound like you're 100 steps ahead of where you should be right now.

Start by figuring out exactly what you can do to get there legally before thinking of the car insurance rate in Florida. The Internship idea is a good one. I myself did a six month internship in NYC this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Being 17 Years Old: The Thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

sipping martinis and and listening to kokomo on some ideal golden beach in florida may sound amazing but its tough getting into the US,plus you will need health insurance

• Advertisement
Advertisement