Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Broadband Speed Issue

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

HighLine wrote: »
    After giving specific instructions to Sky to call me on my mobile, the escalation team called back on the landline and tried to fob off a family member.

Tom stated that the reason why we had issues was because our profile was set too high. Bullsh1t Tom. It was set the same for 10 months without a single issue. As I said previously, another one of Tom's colleagues stated that it was a problem Sky were having and they didn't know why. It seems some of Sky's staff still insist on telling lies in the hope that people will believe them.

Yes, the misrouted phone has happened once. Not again.
    I have been firm with them of the time and place when to ring. When they rang the landline, has to transfer to mobile for me to do the tests.

Also, they have said there is an issue with the speed. This has gone to management.
    Would like to see what the outcome is .
    If it cannot be solved then it will be time to look at another ISP.
    As I have said before.
    While others are offering fibre and better speeds therefore. Is one sure of a better service and ease of transfer.

One post said that he could be without the net for some 25 days. 5 working weeks.

Now that is service from a new supplier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

airuser wrote: »

One post said that he could be without the net for some 25 days. 5 working weeks.

Now that is service from a new supplier

I have since talked to VF again - and there is a way around this delay. Not sure I should post it here until I do it myself but if anyone wants to know, PM me.

I have since talked to VF again - and there is a way around this delay. Not sure I should post it here until I do it myself but if anyone wants to know, PM me.

HighLine,

There is away around it . If required I shall contact you.

Thanks

What does annoy me about SKY. Every time you contact CS they send you a survey to complete and return.
    Have sent a critical report to them, but as usual nothing occurs
    Probably the computer cannot read the replies.
    One day maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I've noticed a very interesting development tonight. Torrents are still downloading at full speed. Getting over 1MB (Megabyte) / 9 Mbit downloading torrents.

This is very strange. Would it suggest some throttling of certain services at peak times and torrents are slipping through at the moment? I'm not a network engineer, but if torrents are downloading at full speed, yet web traffic is slowing to 10% of normal, how is that explained?

• Advertisement

What I find strange is the different ping, download speeds from the different servers throughout the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Sky "Level 2" rang back today, I wasn't here so my Mam answered, they basically told her that the line can't handle 16Mb and that it's getting 10Mb and there's no fault on their end, blah blah, my Mam needing to get to work didn't question anything and just said thanks, so the case has now been closed. Still the same problem though! When you ring Sky make sure to reference this page so they can see (& maybe ComReg too) that these issues are nationwide. My contract is up 18 April next year and I really want to get out of it early so I can get and enjoy Fibre..

Sky "Level 2" rang back today, I wasn't here so my Mam answered, they basically told her that the line can't handle 16Mb and that it's getting 10Mb and there's no fault on their end, blah blah, my Mam needing to get to work didn't question anything and just said thanks, so the case has now been closed. Still the same problem though! When you ring Sky make sure to reference this page so they can see (& maybe ComReg too) that these issues are nationwide. My contract is up 18 April next year and I really want to get out of it early so I can get and enjoy Fibre..

The exact same thing happened me today as I posted earlier. I tried calling back the guy but couldn't get hold of him.

I don't mind Sky holding their hands up and saying we have a problem but the way they keep on suggesting it's "a fault on your end" and "an isolated incident" is frustrating and the reason I will be leaving.

As regards getting out of your contract early... well they are not fulfilling on the terms of the contract so you should have no problem ending it.

Level 2 reduced me to 8 to stabilise my line had not effect. When they next called got it restored.
    When I first got the call last December was told 12. Knew that would never happen. Getting 75% of that I would be very lucky..

How then after several months speeds has dropped more and Sky say that the lines cannot take it.

For me nearly 12 months line s at profile is 10 suddenly it is 8. Come on who is joking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

I've noticed a very interesting development tonight. Torrents are still downloading at full speed. Getting over 1MB (Megabyte) / 9 Mbit downloading torrents.

This is very strange. Would it suggest some throttling of certain services at peak times and torrents are slipping through at the moment? I'm not a network engineer, but if torrents are downloading at full speed, yet web traffic is slowing to 10% of normal, how is that explained?

Not for me. I was downloading torrents all last week and I noticed the speed would deteriorate as the afternoon progressed but would return to normal close to midnight.

• Advertisement

Sky confirmed to me it is not mt end. My line and installation both checked by
    eircom.
    I will rise a complaint with ComReg when Sky say there is nothing more they can do.

Level 2 reduced me to 8 to stabilise my line had not effect. When they next called got it restored.
    When I first got the call last December was told 12. Knew that would never happen. Getting 75% of that I would be very lucky..

How then after several months speeds has dropped more and Sky say that the lines cannot take it.

For me nearly 12 months line s at profile is 10 suddenly it is 8. Come on who is joking.
    I know, isn't it terribly frustrating?
    I don't remember whether I was told what speed my line could handle but I probably was but I went from getting 6-7 on an 8Mb package with Vodafone to getting 16Mb on a 12Mb line which was great. However after having 16Mb since April, I now get maybe 1....possibly even 2Mb! My hub still syncs at 10 and Sky claim all the issues are on my end.

I know, isn't it terribly frustrating?
    I don't remember whether I was told what speed my line could handle but I probably was but I went from getting 6-7 on an 8Mb package with Vodafone to getting 16Mb on a 12Mb line which was great. However after having 16Mb since April, I now get maybe 1....possibly even 2Mb! My hub still syncs at 10 and Sky claim all the issues are on my end.
    When some person can get the truth from any ISP it will be a miracle ..

Just did a speedtest there now...
    As you can tell these issues are most certainly NOT fixed!
    3099283113.png
    Could any of you that are also expereincing these issues post some speedtests if you wouldn't mind?
    Of course if you don't want to then that's no problem at all.

Just did a speedtest there now...
    As you can tell these issues are most certainly NOT fixed!
    3099283113.png
    Could any of you that are also expereincing these issues post some speedtests if you wouldn't mind?
    Of course if you don't want to then that's no problem at all.

My last speed test Cork

2.54 and ping 39ms.

Sorry working off ipad

Certainly never had speedtest as bad as your last test.

My pings are averaging 39ms in the evening up from 28ms
    Speed from 1700 hours drop gradually from 8.65 down to around 2.5.

Mine below ... used to get a constant 17mbps at any time of the day

3099311026.png

AlanS

My upload speed has never changed .85

All I really want is a stable speed.

Some one is playing silly b.....s with us.

Mine below ... used to get a constant 17mbps at any time of the day

3099311026.png
    My last speed test Cork

2.54 and ping 39ms.

Sorry working off ipad

Certainly never had speedtest as bad as your last test.

My pings are averaging 39ms in the evening up from 28ms
    Speed from 1700 hours drop gradually from 8.65 down to around 2.5.
    There has to be something underlying here with all our speeds, congestion perhaps but I wouldn't be sure.
    Absolutely nothing has changed in terms of my setup and I'm sure it's the same for you. At this stage I'm fed up of ringing Sky and talking to their customer services (Who in fairness to them are always very nice and eager to help) only to be told there's no issue to be found. I really want to know how I can leave this contract and go get good, fast broadband from VodaFone or Eircom even.

I really want to know how I can leave this contract and go get good, fast broadband from VodaFone or Eircom even.

Just ring and tell them that they're not upholding their end of the deal. Request the cancellation of your contract then and there.

Going to get to the bottom of this.
    Will wait till SKY say they can do no more.
    Call on ComReg to investigate my situation and see what Sky and Eircom have to say.
    I am not going to hold my breathe about the outcome.
    Do not believe that ComReg really have any powers.
    Higher speeds are not my priority, stable one is. Higher speeds my give some households the benefit of running many computers.
    Have worked where downloads are above 200m.. Great for downloading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

delighted to have come across this thread.

My speeds right now are

3099335407.png

Earlier this evening between 8pm and 9pm my d/l speed was 0.5.

Im not even interested in huge downloading speeds but for 40 quid a month the least i expect is to be able to stream youtube vids!

Just ring and tell them that they're not upholding their end of the deal. Request the cancellation of your contract then and there.
    If I do that though I would incur fees for leaving the contract early.
    It's keeps going in a circle --> I ring Sky, go through the troubleshooting steps, issue is escalated to Level 2, Level 2 closes the case as they don't see a problem. If my speeds become stable then I don't think I'd have a problem staying with Sky as I find their Hub to have great WiFi signal and it's very energy efficient.

Look here http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband-Talk/Dramatic-slowdown-broadband-speeds-recently/td-p/1463849

9 pages and counting of people with the exact same problems on Sky's own help forum. Just makes me even more furious when they keep suggesting it's a problem at my end. Just lies from Sky.

Look here http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband-Talk/Dramatic-slowdown-broadband-speeds-recently/td-p/1463849

9 pages and counting of people with the exact same problems on Sky's own help forum. Just makes me even more furious when they keep suggesting it's a problem at my end. Just lies from Sky.
    Thanks for that, will have fun reading that(!)
    I just honestly can't understand how I can go from totally 100% stable at 16Mb with a 12Mb line to 10Mb utter crap. Sky have said that eventually the line will "crap out" but I've had it since April and it's been fine....

If I do that though I would incur fees for leaving the contract early.
    It's keeps going in a circle --> I ring Sky, go through the troubleshooting steps, issue is escalated to Level 2, Level 2 closes the case as they don't see a problem. If my speeds become stable then I don't think I'd have a problem staying with Sky as I find their Hub to have great WiFi signal and it's very energy efficient.

There clearly is a problem, though. You should keep records of you speed throughout the day. Check out this post on the Sky forum. That's evidence your speed is suffering, ask them what program they're using to monitor their speeds. Email it to Sky and if they don't release you from your contract, threaten you'll contact ComReg over this.

Back in April, several members got out of their contracts when we last witnessed a reduction in our speeds during the evening. This was due to Sky taking on too many customers.

Edit*

Found the name of the program that user was using: http://www.gmwsoftware.co.uk/

My computer removed a virus this morning. I don't know if I got it from that link (which some Irish person on the Sky forum posted), so if you downloaded it, make sure you scan your computer afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

My computer removed a virus this morning. I don't know if I got it from that link (which some Irish person on the Sky forum posted), so if you downloaded it, make sure you scan your computer afterwards.

HI Frank

I'm the sky user who posted the link.
    I've been using that soft on multiple machines and never got a virus with it ..
    Cheers
    Vic

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I`ll post my speedtest when I get home this evening. Should be just about early enough to be still in my "normal" speed before the night time slow down starts.

I`ll post again an hour or so later and there should be a difference. Dropping from my regular 5Mbps to about 2Mbps.

21st January is the worst case scenario for me. Its when my contract is up but I may try and cancel beforehand if this continues, which I`m suspecting it will.

I feel like cancelling my Netflix sub as well as I just cant watch it in the evenings due to the ****ty speeds.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 42 squidgy10

Just found this thread last night after dealing with sky for 2 weeks on slow evening and weekend speeds. Get good speed in the morning and afternoon of around 12 mb/s. Come 5pm this drops down to around 2mb/s.

Went through all the trouble shooting with sky about 4 times over the last 2 weeks but as i kept telling them, there is obviously no problem with my line if i can get speed of 12 mb/s (my line is rated up to 15) in the morning and afternoon before it drops in the evening.

So this morning i rang them again and said i would not be doing any more of their "trouble shooting" as the line is not the problem. They eventualy admitted that they have no idea whats causing the drop in speed and they dont know what to do next so i asked them to apply credit to my account and to keep doing so every month till its solved.

He had a to go off and check whether he could do this so i'll update when i hear anything back.

• Advertisement

squidgy10 wrote: »
    Just found this thread last night after dealing with sky for 2 weeks on slow evening and weekend speeds. Get good speed in the morning and afternoon of around 12 mb/s. Come 5pm this drops down to around 2mb/s.

Went through all the trouble shooting with sky about 4 times over the last 2 weeks but as i kept telling them, there is obviously no problem with my line if i can get speed of 12 mb/s (my line is rated up to 15) in the morning and afternoon before it drops in the evening.

So this morning i rang them again and said i would not be doing any more of their "trouble shooting" as the line is not the problem. They eventualy admitted that they have no idea whats causing the drop in speed and they dont know what to do next so i asked them to apply credit to my account and to keep doing so every month till its solved.

He had a to go off and check whether he could do this so i'll update when i hear anything back.

As I have just posted else where I believe that the issue is between Sky and Eircom the supplier. Who else is there. Sky are only supplying what Eircom are giving them

Advertisement