Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Broadband Speed Issue

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Sup08

HighLine wrote: »
    Not so sure about the glowing customer service. It took 2 weeks to sort out. Most days I would contact them, they didn't admit it was a widespread problem and insisted it was just a problem with my line - to the point where I refused to "change filters, change phone line".

Towards the end however, they started to change and did indeed admit it was a problem on their side which was welcome.

As previously stated - I used to get a constant 17mbps download speed. Now it is only 14mbps which I will settle for until I switch to fiber broadband next month.

Totally agree. They reduced my speed based on an issue with my line and now they will not put it back to what it was previously. Eircom are now doing a 4 play media offering with fibre and that's where my business will be going.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Mine is sorted. Was dodgy for 3 weeks approx, in the evenings. I complained on Skys forum.

They informed me that they sorted the problem and also issued one months BB credit to my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

degsie wrote: »
    So, I would just like to say thanks to Sky for sorting out this issue. It's not often that a provider owns up to a problem and then takes remedial action to sort it. I note that those who were slamming Sky BB are suddenly gone quiet so I assume this is fixed for everyone.

No, I am not a sky employee, just a satisfied customer :)

No improvement to my speeds. Posted it over in their forum but they ignored it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Sup08 wrote: »
    Totally agree. They reduced my speed based on an issue with my line and now they will not put it back to what it was previously. Eircom are now doing a 4 play media offering with fibre and that's where my business will be going.
    Same with me.
    Had a constant 16Mb speed and now I have (infairness to them) a constant 10Mb speed. When I asked for it to be put back up I was given the old "It's like a car, it'll only handle so much" and all that stuff. One man even told me I should be happy I was able to have 16Mb for so long, another says he was fine with 6Mb and he doesn't know what I'm complaining about. Then a final Sky employee said she'd UPC 200Mb and couldn't imagine ever switching.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

Same with me.
    Had a constant 16Mb speed and now I have (infairness to them) a constant 10Mb speed. When I asked for it to be put back up I was given the old "It's like a car, it'll only handle so much" and all that stuff. One man even told me I should be happy I was able to have 16Mb for so long, another says he was fine with 6Mb and he doesn't know what I'm complaining about. Then a final Sky employee said she'd UPC 200Mb and couldn't imagine ever switching.

Not sure if I asked you this before, but could you post your stats? What is your line attenuation and noise margin like?

• Advertisement

Not sure if I asked you this before, but could you post your stats? What is your line attenuation and noise margin like?
    Sure thing.
    ftVUl9w.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

Sure thing.
    ftVUl9w.png

Thanks for the screenshot, it's what I need to figure out what's up with your line. Almost the exact same thing happen to me when I joined up with Sky In January.

I was promised around 17mb, but when I got it setup, I only got 12mb - I was on 12mb with Eircom already. I kept ringing Sky asking them for the reason why my line couldn't handle more speed and they wouldn't give me proper answer. So, I decided to ask the Boardies and one of them asked for my stats. I posted them and learned something new.

Do you see your noise margin? When that drops to 6db or below, your line will start cutting out. Mine is 7db now, but last night it was saying 6db and it was disconnecting - this was at 4am, so it had nothing to do with high contention or anything like that.

Anyway, the more speed an ISP forces down your line, the worse your noise gets. Basically, the higher the figure, the more solid your connection is.

Noise margin of 5db = bad
    Noise margin of 12db = good

So, yeah, your line won't handle anymore speed because your noise margin is too low, anymore speed and your connection will drop-out. Drop-outs are really fúcking annoying and Sky are right by saying you're lucky to have gotten a higher speed before. I just don't understand why their customer service don't explain the noise margin thing to their customers.

Another thing I don't understand is how your noise margin dropped, the line or the socket could be damaged because something is creating more noise on your line then before.

Thanks for the screenshot, it's what I need to figure out what's up with your line. Almost the exact same thing happen to me when I joined up with Sky In January.

I was promised around 17mb, but when I got it setup, I only got 12mb - I was on 12mb with Eircom already. I kept ringing Sky asking them for the reason why my line couldn't handle more speed and they wouldn't give me proper answer. So, I decided to ask the Boardies and one of them asked for my stats. I posted them and learned something new.

Do you see your noise margin? When that drops to 6db or below, your line will start cutting out. Mine is 7db now, but last night it was saying 6db and it was disconnecting - this was at 4am, so it had nothing to do with high contention or anything like that.

Anyway, the more speed an ISP forces down your line, the worse your noise gets. Basically, the higher the figure, the more solid your connection is.

Noise margin of 5db = bad
    Noise margin of 12db = good

So, yeah, your line won't handle anymore speed because your noise margin is too low, anymore speed and your connection will drop-out. Drop-outs are really fúcking annoying and Sky are right by saying you're lucky to have gotten a higher speed before. I just don't understand why their customer service don't explain the noise margin thing to their customers.

Another thing I don't understand is how your noise margin dropped, the line or the socket could be damaged because something is creating more noise on your line then before.
    Interesting, thanks for that.
    I will actually look to see can i find a screenshot of my stats before as I'm sure I've one somewhere, I'll post that if I can find it.
    I have one phone line in my house and my area has recently been fibre enabled, I would've actually thought that this would make my speeds better but indeed the opposite happened.
    Although it does feel a bit slower I'm comping with my 10Mb.
    Thanks again.

Here's 2.
    I'm trying to find one with my full stats on it though.
    v336OTM.png
    hGcxsoz.png

Found One!
    This is one of my full stats.
    o61mtGx.png

(Oh and to the Mods, apologies for spamming this thread a little :P)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Are you sure you don't work for Sky :D

Basically I'm in the exact same scenario. From January to October I had a CONSTANT 17mbps download speed. Never had any disconnections or interruptions.

So like I said before, since stability has been restored, I am only getting 14mbps now. But my noise margin has been at a poor 6.2dB. However, still no disconnections thankfully.

Now I can assure you ... NOTHING has changed with my phone line. It's not even up for debate. Again... it's something on Sky's end that has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

Back to square one here again today in Dundalk,

D/l of 1.3meg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

rogieop wrote: »

D/l of 1.3meg

From the end of October to mid November, Sky had problems with speed.

Where I was concerned my speed profile was 10239. Actual was 8.85. This was ok from midnight to mid afternoon then is reduced to half and after 7 by half once more.

I just kept after them. Had Eircom call nothing wrong my end and of course nothing could be done by them. Get onto Sky. According to Eircom, sky was at fault . Sky were saying nothing.

Go see there help forum on Sky.com under irish part

My speed is reasonable since the latter part of November

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

D/l of 1.3meg

Mine is gone terrible again. I keep getting the yellow triangle over my connection"no internet" terrible isp.

jca wrote: »
    Mine is gone terrible again. I keep getting the yellow triangle over my connection"no internet" terrible isp.

Reset the hub. A little button on the hub at the back. The resetting will take about 2/3 minutes. If the light still remain on then ring Sky.

They will ask you to go a few line test. It is painful I know.

Alternatively unplug the hug , wait 30 sec and plug in once more and wait.

Good luck

airuser wrote: »
    Reset the hub. A little button on the hub at the back. The resetting will take about 2/3 minutes. If the light still remain on then ring Sky.

They will ask you to go a few line test. It is painful I know.

Alternatively unplug the hug , wait 30 sec and plug in once more and wait.

Good luck

I'm not using the sky hub I'm using a netgear router. I think I'll put the sky hub back on and see how it goes.

I'm not using the sky hub I'm using a netgear router. I think I'll put the sky hub back on and see how it goes.

As far as I am aware Sky only support their hub. You will be unable to connect unless you use their hub.

As far as I am aware Sky only support their hub. You will be unable to connect unless you use their hub.

I am connected.....mostly. You working for sky? As bad as it is now, it was unusable before I started using the Netgear. I'm going to give eircom a ring in the morning and go with them. I don't need their crap especially when fibre is available.

No, I do not work for Sky.

I do not know how the Router was working.

Do you know how to get the stats from the Hub?

No, I do not work for Sky.

I do not know how the Router was working.

Do you know how to get the stats from the Hub?

I used wireshark to get the username and password. The stats are ok.

• Advertisement

I used wireshark to get the username and password. The stats are ok.

Yes, that is a work around .

Yes, that is a work around .

I'll try the sky hub and see does it improve. The strange thing is that when I have the no Internet state there's no loss of dsl or Internet connection, all lights are green.

I'll try the sky hub and see does it improve. The strange thing is that when I have the no Internet state there's no loss of dsl or Internet connection, all lights are green.

Not to sure what you mean about lights all green. I presume that is on the Router.

When you connect the Sky Hub it will take 2/3 minutes to connect up to Internet. I found that connecting the hub to the Computer is best. As your hub connects to the web. The smilie face will flash until connection is made. Then if you want to connect wirelessly do so.

I have my iMac wired and use the iPad and iPhone and Mac Book wirelessly. Have two radio also connected to the web.

Not all working at the same time.

Speeds not face 8.85 at the hub 10239.

Not to sure what you mean about lights all green. I presume that is on the Router.

When you connect the Sky Hub it will take 2/3 minutes to connect up to Internet. I found that connecting the hub to the Computer is best. As your hub connects to the web. The smilie face will flash until connection is made. Then if you want to connect wirelessly do so.

I have my iMac wired and use the iPad and iPhone and Mac Book wirelessly. Have two radio also connected to the web.

Not all working at the same time.

Speeds not face 8.85 at the hub 10239.

Yea I mean the lights on the netgear router. All things being used at the same time shouldn't make any difference, it never impacted on my speeds/connectivity with any of my previous isp's. I'm very disappointed with sky's bb service. I thought it would have been as reliable as their tv service.

Bye bye Sky ya Muppets.... signed up to Eircom.. A tenner extra but at least it will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

Bye bye Sky ya Muppets.... signed up to Eircom.. A tenner extra but at least it will work.

were you in contract with sky? if so how did you get out of it?

were you in contract with sky? if so how did you get out of it?

Contract is ended in January they'll probably cry over it but tbh I've had enough:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Contract is ended in January they'll probably cry over it but tbh I've had enough:mad:

let us know how the move goes ... my contract up in Jan ...

Vico1612 wrote: »
    let us know how the move goes ... my contract up in Jan ...

I will do. I've a provisional install date for next monday the 9th.

• Advertisement

I got a confirmation text and email from eircom for next Monday's install.

Advertisement