Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Broadband Speed Issue

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Vico1612 wrote: »
    let us know how the move goes ... my contract up in Jan ...

Got an email from Sky this evening. My contract is up in February. Currently paying €17.50 per month.

"Thank you for taking part in our Broadband and Talk Trial.

We wanted to let you know that the trial is ending. The monthly charge for your Unlimited Broadband and talk service after this date will be €40 a month.

Make sure you're getting the most out of your Sky Broadband and Talk Service:

• Broadband with absolutely no usage limits so you can download as much as you like
    • Connect your wireless connector router to Unlimited Sky Broadband and start downloading hundreds of
    box sets
    • Sky Hub, with even better wireless range – letting you connect to the internet in even more places in
    your home
    • Inclusive evening and weekend calls

Enjoy your Unlimited Broadband service,

Sky Broadband Team"

Anyone else get a similar missive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Got an email from Sky this evening. My contract is up in February. Currently paying €17.50 per month.

We wanted to let you know that the trial is ending. The monthly charge for your Unlimited Broadband and talk service after this date will be €40 a month.

• Broadband with absolutely no usage limits so you can download as much as you like
    • Connect your wireless connector router to Unlimited Sky Broadband and start downloading hundreds of
    box sets
    • Sky Hub, with even better wireless range – letting you connect to the internet in even more places in
    your home

Sky Broadband Team"

not yet but spoke to them today and was told same.
    said I was happy with 17.50 pm and the email I had from them sayings they couldn't give me the promised 12mbps.

told him I'd call to cancel in 2 weeks tv included.
    he told me they are launching fibre by year end but had no details.
    wonder what my call will bring?

any ideas on alternative suppliers??

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

box sets
    your home

Sky Broadband Team"

Got that email too. My contract is not up till February. At least they were straight enough about the price rise. Time to start looking around. Has anyone got any sort of deal when the trial price ends. I would stay with them but not at €50 per month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

said I was happy with 17.50 pm and the email I had from them sayings they couldn't give me the promised 12mbps.

Any chance you can tell me what number you dialed? I tried to call and got a UK rep who knew nothing about the trial...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

Got that email too. My contract is not up till February. At least they were straight enough about the price rise. Time to start looking around. Has anyone got any sort of deal when the trial price ends. I would stay with them but not at €50 per month.

Ditto. I was always under the impression it was €10 for 12 months. My contract is up at the start of February. Just waiting for a cabinet to be built in my estate so I can jump ship to Vodafone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Any chance you can tell me what number you dialed? I tried to call and got a UK rep who knew nothing about the trial...

0818 719 819 seems to be the irish number
    Will be calling them shortly as I've also received the mail ...

0818 719 819 seems to be the irish number
    Will be calling them shortly as I've also received the mail ...

Yeah I called that number and pressed the option for billing.... maybe next time I will try the technical support option.

Well, even at €40, it compares very favourably with any of the Irish providers. I'm getting 12-18mbps constantly. That allows me to stream without glitching. If I was sure Sky will be doing efibre in April I'd have no great problem paying the 40 yoyos for 2 more months. I'm pretty sure that they'll undercut the other providers, as thats the only way they'll retain their customers. What I don't like about Sky is their charge of €30 line rental, when they are getting the line at a wholesale rate from Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

At €40 I would consider staying but because I am not on a BT exchange I am going up to €50 which is what Eircom charge.

At €40 I would consider staying but because I am not on a BT exchange I am going up to €50 which is what Eircom charge.

just checked and can get 70Mb fiber with Vodafone for 40€ ..
    wish Sky would give some indication when/if they will provide fiber

• Advertisement

just checked and can get 70Mb fiber with Vodafone for 40€ ..
    wish Sky would give some indication when/if they will provide fiber

Yea, I get the same. But of course we'll never get 70mbps. We might get 50 if we're lucky. At least Eircom, for all their faults, list 50mbps on their offers. I have fobbed Voda off until mid-Feb. Will be interesting what offer they come up with then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

I am in the same boat - €50 + that 7.50 add-on (which I can remove)

Vodafone's plans seem muddled (charging for modem and intstallation for example if you don't take a 24 month contract). And you only 100 minutes landline calls.

Eircom is €35 for 6 months - then €50. There seem to be speed issues with Eircom in the evenings (non-fibre).

My speeds are steady for me with Sky (after a shaky start) - so may just stiick. I tried to haggle with them but they won't budge on broadband prices - will reduce tv price alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Got the email too, and my contract is up late January. It reads like they're planning to increase the price before the 12 months is up - has anyone asked them about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I was also on the Sky trial and will be leaving soon. The connection was fine for the first while but has been getting progressively worse and has been almost unusable in the past couple of weeks with crazy ping times and up to 10% packet loss.

The final straw was that I had to work from home today and have found that using a 3G modem from O2 is proving to be a more stable connection.

Will probably be jumping to eFibre or UPC.

Called sky to confirm that new charge would be 40€ , which is correct.
    Sky still ' hoping ' to open fiber trial before end of year and go to market next year. But again , no definitive answer which is the most frustrating point for me ... The product has been available for the past 7 months and they are still running trials ...
    Explained that I can get Vodafone fiber for 37€ , the poor guy couldn't add much.
    Off the phone with Voda and Vodafone home order put through ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Called sky to confirm that new charge would be 40€ , which is correct.
    Sky still ' hoping ' to open fiber trial before end of year and go to market next year. But again , no definitive answer which is the most frustrating point for me ... The product has been available for the past 7 months and they are still running trials ...
    Explained that I can get Vodafone fiber for 37€ , the poor guy couldn't add much.
    Off the phone with Voda and Vodafone home order put through ...
    I wish you luck with that. I jumped ship from sky on the 23rd of September to Vodafone. 60 :eek: days later and my bb still wasn't changed over. One agent actually tried to tell me I couldn't get bb on my line.... They wouldn't put me straight onto fibre I had to become an adsl customer first, I didn't have a problem with that, anything being better than the 0.3 mb I was getting from sky in the evenings. It dragged on and on until in the end I cancelled the whole shebang. I went on the eircom site on Monday I'm going straight on to fibre next Monday. Got a text and email on Tuesday confirming everything, just got a phone call from a lovely woman further confirming my appointment. Now that's what I call service... A lot of other providers could try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Hello again everyone.

I have received a further statement from Sky that they asked me to share with you:
    We’re pleased to hear everyone’s so keen to know when Sky will be launching a fibre broadband service so we wanted to give you an update. We are currently trialling the service to make sure we launch with a quality product which has the best experience possible for customers. We will be launching our new fibre service later this year so check back here for further updates over the coming months. In the meantime, go to sky.ie to find out about the truly unlimited broadband service we, as the fastest growing broadband provider in the country, currently offer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Sup08

Dav wrote: »
    Hello again everyone.

I have received a further statement from Sky that they asked me to share with you:

Very similar quote from their own forum last June!!!! Still on trial, what a joke..
    Hi All,

With regards to the launch of a Sky fibre service, we will be offering this service in Ireland this year as soon as we possibly can.

Trialling of our fibre service has already started so as to ensure we have the best quality of service ready for its full launch. There will a dedicated space on our website to register interest in our new service very soon.

It will be the same type of product that will be available from Eircom and Vodafone, providing a next generation fibre powered service at the same great value we offer with our current Sky Broadband.

Thanks

Robert-B
    Community Coordinator
    Community Welcome, Hints & Tips

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Dav wrote: »
    Hello again everyone.

Hi Dav,
    Thanks for posting that here, appreciate it. However, that Sky statement is a load of nonsense, they've been saying they were trailing it since around July! On their own forums they said they would launch fibre by the end of the year which of course never happened. The real reason for the delay is they're trying to get as much money out of people as possible, most people joined around April so it appears like they're trying to get their years worth. As with the Sky TV increase it all just seems to be yet another finachial gain for Ruppert Murdoch now that he got his divorce.
    Again thanks Dav for posting the reply.
    /Rant

So glad I moved back to Voda and am now enjoying 70/20 VDSL ..
    When I cancelled Sky in December, they were hoping to open public trials to customers before end of 2013 ...

• Advertisement

I'm glad I left them too.

So glad I moved back to Voda and am now enjoying 70/20 VDSL ..
    When I cancelled Sky in December, they were hoping to open public trials to customers before end of 2013 ...

Slightly off-topic but how did you find the new VF router compared to Sky's in terms of signal strength and range? Switching to VF on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I was talking to Sky and they will be launching the fibre product in April - and the rep I was talking to was very adamant that it would be April. Apparently it is being trialed at the moment in certain areas but not on the same scale as the DSL trial.

I was talking to Sky and they will be launching the fibre product in April - and the rep I was talking to was very adamant that it would be April. Apparently it is being trialed at the moment in certain areas but not on the same scale as the DSL trial.
    Is anyone actually on sky fibre?? I think they're talking sh**e tbh. April is leaving it very late some cabinets could be full by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

Here's the latest from their support forum.

"In regards to Sky Fibre in ROI, just to reiterate what my colleagues have stated and the sticky thread - we're currently trialling with the aim to release it later this year at some point. When we have further updates we'll make this available to the community and we thank customers for their patience.

Thanks,"

As you can see, it yet another non-promise:rolleyes:.

rogieop wrote: »

I'm getting 12-16 mbps constantly :).

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Here's the latest from their support forum.

"In regards to Sky Fibre in ROI, just to reiterate what my colleagues have stated and the sticky thread - we're currently trialling with the aim to release it later this year at some point. When we have further updates we'll make this available to the community and we thank customers for their patience.

Thanks,"

As you can see, it yet another non-promise:rolleyes:.

Must be some trial, 9 months so far! Why would anyone stay with Sky at this point if they are in an Efibre area?

Wonder what genius is running the Sky broadband show in Ireland?

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Barry5714

Hi I'm with Sky for the past 14 months receiving 6MB download speed and was just on eircom site and said id test my phone number and see what they offer when i click Discover the maximum speed you will experience in your home it says i could get a maximum of 12MB.

Just wondering what any of ye think. Can my line handle more speed?

Speedtest
    3317838196.png

Line Stats
    Broadband Link Downstream/Upstream
    Connection Speed 7168 kbps/384 kbps
    Line Attenuation 25.5 dB/13.5 dB
    Noise Margin 12.3 dB/20.20 dB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Barry5714 wrote: »
    Hi I'm with Sky for the past 14 months receiving 6MB download speed and was just on eircom site and said id test my phone number and see what they offer when i click Discover the maximum speed you will experience in your home it says i could get a maximum of 12MB.

Just wondering what any of ye think. Can my line handle more speed?

Speedtest
    3317838196.png

Line Stats
    Broadband Link Downstream/Upstream
    Connection Speed 7168 kbps/384 kbps
    Line Attenuation 25.5 dB/13.5 dB
    Noise Margin 12.3 dB/20.20 dB

Based on those stats you should be getting at least 12 Mbit if not a bit more if your exchange is ADSL2+ enabled. You could ring sky and ask but they are useless so I don't know if they would do it.

Advertisement