Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duathlons

Options
  • 07-11-2013 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just after listening to the latest issue of Legends of Triathlon with Kenny Souza and he raised some very interesting points about Duathlons and the fact that they are always the poor relation to the triathlon.

There are lots of people like myself, who love watching tris, reading about tris, listening to podcasts about tris, love the lifestyle, the club scene, the whole kit and kaboodle but who can't or won't swim for one reason or another.

It's very easy to say "just bloody well learn to swim then", but it's just not that simple, believe me I've tried. For the sake of this discussion can we just take it for granted that some people can't swim and accept it for what it is.

Why isn't there more Duathlons in this country, specifically at longer distances, say comparable to Olympic or HIM triathlons?

Any that I come across all seem to be very short, say 3k run, 20k bike, 3k run for example. For someone like me, who's not very fast and who enjoys endurance rather than speed, they are probably a useful training session but don't have the element of endurance that I really enjoy. My favourite race is the Half Marathon for example, I did 6 or 7 this year but have never raced a 5k believe it or not. My point is that I would love something where it's an accomplishment for less talented individuals just to complete.

Kenny Souza made the point that it should be very simple for most triathlons to offer a duathlon option with a 1st run portion roughly equivalent to the swim portion of the tri e.ge 1500m swim or 5k run. These would start at the same time with everyone racing the same course apart from the first section of the race. Obviously, it would be a completely different result sheet, and for someone like myself I couldn't care less about prizes, just a chance to take part in the days events.

What do people think of this idea?

Would it be that difficult to tag on a DU option to an existing Oly or HIM race?

Is there a demand for this type of race or am I the only one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

A lot of the messin' races might work for you? Gaelforce etc? Agree though it would be nice to have more standard distance and long distance duathlons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Nah, I'm afraid they just don't do anything for me.

Not ruling them out completely but they just don't float my boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

pointer28 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just after listening to the latest issue of Legends of Triathlon with Kenny Souza and he raised some very interesting points about Duathlons and the fact that they are always the poor relation to the triathlon.

There are lots of people like myself, who love watching tris, reading about tris, listening to podcasts about tris, love the lifestyle, the club scene, the whole kit and kaboodle but who can't or won't swim for one reason or another.

It's very easy to say "just bloody well learn to swim then", but it's just not that simple, believe me I've tried. For the sake of this discussion can we just take it for granted that some people can't swim and accept it for what it is.

Why isn't there more Duathlons in this country, specifically at longer distances, say comparable to Olympic or HIM triathlons?

Any that I come across all seem to be very short, say 3k run, 20k bike, 3k run for example. For someone like me, who's not very fast and who enjoys endurance rather than speed, they are probably a useful training session but don't have the element of endurance that I really enjoy. My favourite race is the Half Marathon for example, I did 6 or 7 this year but have never raced a 5k believe it or not. My point is that I would love something where it's an accomplishment for less talented individuals just to complete.

Kenny Souza made the point that it should be very simple for most triathlons to offer a duathlon option with a 1st run portion roughly equivalent to the swim portion of the tri e.ge 1500m swim or 5k run. These would start at the same time with everyone racing the same course apart from the first section of the race. Obviously, it would be a completely different result sheet, and for someone like myself I couldn't care less about prizes, just a chance to take part in the days events.

What do people think of this idea?

Would it be that difficult to tag on a DU option to an existing Oly or HIM race?

Is there a demand for this type of race or am I the only one?

Why aren't there more? Because there isn't a demand.

That's the question I just asked, is there a demand?

Hence the idea of tagging it on to an existing tri rather than running a separate race.

If it's a terrible idea, then fair enough, I'm just putting it out there for discussion.

That's the question I just asked, is there a demand?

Hence the idea of tagging it on to an existing tri rather than running a separate race.

If it's a terrible idea, then fair enough, I'm just putting it out there for discussion.

Only really the 2/10/2 format as a stepping stone into triathlons I believe

• Advertisement

Fair enough so, I must be the only one.

Anyway, markets will decide and if there isn't a demand well I hardly expect tri organisers to run it just for me.

Pity though.

Fair enough so, I must be the only one.

Anyway, markets will decide and if there isn't a demand well I hardly expect tri organisers to run it just for me.

Pity though.

maybe set up a poll to see?

You're over-estimating my technical abilities.

Good idea though, I'll get onto to it later.

Thanks for taking the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭musicfan1ie

You're over-estimating my technical abilities.

Good idea though, I'll get onto to it later.

Thanks for taking the time.

I'm with you pointer, I love duathlons. I did a few of them when in England a few years ago. Definitely, not a great supply of them here. I'd love it if there were more.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 MyWebPersona

If you just want to be part of the day why dont you try and get yourself a good swimmer that hates running and cycling and have a relay team in an olympic distance. Might be the handiest solution

• Advertisement

Still wouldn't satisfy my endurance buzz though.

Anyway, it seems that it's obviously just a pipe dream.

Shocked that there's so little interest though. I would have thought that a 5k / 40k / 10k duathlon early in the season would be a great training day when OW swimming isn't possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Shocked that there's so little interest though. I would have thought that a 5k / 40k / 10k duathlon early in the season would be a great training day when OW swimming isn't possible.

I admit that if there was an early season race like this I would be in!. All the Duo's I can see seem to be sprint.

So, there's 3 of us, cool!

I thought I was the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

"My point is that I would love something where it's an accomplishment for less talented individuals just to complete."

Depends what your definition of competing is. Finishing 300th in an Olympic is taking part in my book. The majority of people in Tri are only competing with themselves anyway. Their time from last race, last year etc. If you want to take part then doggy paddle around the 1500m/1900m if you have to or learn how to swim.

"There are lots of people like myself, who love watching tris, reading about tris, listening to podcasts about tris, love the lifestyle, the club scene, the whole kit and kaboodle but who can't or won't swim for one reason or another."

For me thats like those people who sit and watch airplanes landing all day at Dublin airport. If you love to so much get a flying lesson. There's people out there swimming with one arm, no legs. Whats your excuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

the nat duathlon champs are the format you are looking for usualy at the end of april.
    ups its 10 40 5 but still the distance you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

I'm with you on this one op. I like a long run, I do lots of half a and a few marathons. Also, I cycle with a club and race a bit. If only we could combine the two...

I do some of the one day adventure races and duathlons. They all seem to include some mountain stage where I lose a heap of places. I did sea2summit yesterday and while I enjoyed it I was passed by 40 people in 15 minutes on Croagh Patrick which spoiled my chance of a high placing. The guy who finished ahead of me was 40 minutes slower in DCM.

I'd certainly love 5/40/10. Or double that if you like. So is that 4 of us?

Thanks for that Peter, I'll look it up on the TI website.

Snailsong, yeah looks like only 4 of us ;-)

No race director is going to make a fortune running mid / long distance duathlons in Ireland anytime soon.

Check out www.powerman.org some really cool looking races on their site. Warning though, they really seem to love lots of climbing, but I'd quite enjoy that.

Seriously considering entering one of these sometime. The entry fees are reasonable enough, I'd just need to look into all the other expenses, flights, bike travel, transfers etc. but I'm really liking the look of it.

TBH, I'm torn between one of these and a 35km trail race in Germany www.zugspitz-ultratrail.com Work is quiet so I can't afford to enter all the races I'd like to.

Now, if someone was so kind as to organise one in the Slieve Blooms, I'll be your first entry.

powerman races are really good and too be honest i cant understand why they are not bigger ( or in fact with zofingen which used to be on of the main multisport races in the world ,got less well known ) given the fact that most triathletes dont like swimming...
    I guess the easiest would be to find a mate and drive to the one in the UK ( via rosslare)

Thanks Peter,

The UK one definitely seems handy enough to get to, although if I'm going to go to the effort of travelling overseas I think I would prefer to go to Austria or Germany with the OH and make a weekend of it, but we'll see.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Snailsong, yeah looks like only 4 of us ;-)

I'll be number 5... swimming is my weakest leg by far, and I bet there is alot of triathletes that would say the same.. I would love a few more Duathlons with longer distances during the summer months...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭66_Lad

Trig1 wrote: »
    I'll be number 5... swimming is my weakest leg by far, and I bet there is alot of triathletes that would say the same.. I would love a few more Duathlons with longer distances during the summer months...

Number 6...do good few duathlons but would much prefer double the distances....learning to swim so goin to give a tri a shot next yr but love the middle to long distance runs and am decent enough on the bike.

Pointer seems to have a growing following!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

Count me in as #7 :)

7 people - thats enough to *run* a race.

Maybe rather than asking others to put one on, put one on yourselves?

tunney wrote: »
    7 people - thats enough to *run* a race.

Maybe rather than asking others to put one on, put one on yourselves?

Not everyone who would be interested in doing such a race posts on boards.ie!!

Maybe not a race, but how about something like a Boardsie meetup somewhere for a spin followed by a run?

I'll put forward the Slieve Blooms only because I'm familiar with it, we can park at the hotel, 42k bike with lots of climbing and loads of trail running from the car park (also hilly). I don't mind the climbing on the bike, but the running is seriously tough, and even moreso coming off a bike. I'd manage it myself but it might put some people off.

As I said, it's what I'm familiar with but I'm sure there might me somewhere just as good or better.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭tamaskan

10k/40k/5k, sounds good to me. I'm only new to running, cycling is more my thing, but those sound like decent distances to be aiming for. I agree, Duathlons here are too short and there aren't enough of them. Why should the swimmers get to have all the fun?

Podge83 wrote: »
    Not everyone who would be interested in doing such a race posts on boards.ie!!

My point was stop expecting people to organise the races and organise one for others if people feel that passionate about longer distance duathlons

Apart from the swimmers having all the fun, apparently a large percentage hate the swim and I've heard of large cheers at some tris when the swim has been cancelled.

Now, I haven't been there to witness it myself, but that's a bit sad. If I ever do learn to swim, and enter a triathlon, then I'll want to do the entire thing.

• Advertisement

just rembered this race
    http://www.thehumptydumpty.com/
    40k draft legal bike 6 k run

Advertisement