Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duathlons

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

tunney wrote: »
    My point was stop expecting people to organise the races and organise one for others if people feel that passionate about longer distance duathlons

I'd love to, but at the moment I would have no idea where to even start organising a race in terms of the practicalities.

That's not just an excuse BTW and if anyone thinks they know what they're doing and would like to be involved then I'd gladly jump on board and help with running one.

But me alone, with no experience would just be asking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

Make me No 8, just took up duathlons in the last 2 years, swimming does not appeal to me so i,ve bombed ahead into duathlons, love them! Pity theres not more of them or a national series of some sort!

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

tunney wrote: »
    My point was stop expecting people to organise the races and organise one for others if people feel that passionate about longer distance duathlons

Sorry Tunney didn't mean to cause upset. I know you do you're bit. I organise a road race (running) as a fund raiser for a community cause. That's enough for now. Wouldn't mind having a go at organising a Duo as part of a group at some stage.

However, I prefer a the full Triathlon but just think a few longer distance duos in the Spring would be better prep for the Tri season.

Anyway, its good to hear peoples views on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭tamaskan

peter kern wrote: »
    just rembered this race
    http://www.thehumptydumpty.com/
    40k draft legal bike 6 k run

I've done the Humpty. Great fun, recommend to all. Kenmare is a lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

There are a good few duathlon races around the West organised by the local triathlon clubs but springtime only, from memory - Predator, Tri Lakes and Trisport all have at least one race and also Westport Tri had one in June this year. Predator and Tri Lakes jointly organised a series of 6 I think a few years back which was very good but it doesn't take place any more.

Think Padraig Marrey organizes another few around the Mayo area, certainly one in Ballinrobe and Claremorris anyways

Its a hard time of year to get the numbers to justify putting them on, the one I did last year I remember everyone hiding under trees right before the start with a massive hailstorm shower. I was frozen on the bike!

Isnt the National duathlon championships a longer distance duathlon than the usual ones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I think we could definitely do with a duathlon series, something with a range of distances. Something *quality*, something safe and fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭snack_ie

If you are looking for a good race in the UK to do try and Ballbuster & make a weekend of it in London... You will definitely get your money's worth...

http://humanrace.co.uk/events/duathlon/spring-ballbuster

I have done it twice and its hard as nails...

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bluenova

Land of the giants duathlon 28th dec
    5k run 18k bike 2k run
    It's in claremorris mayo
    Early bird entry 20 euro open now I've just entered great time to knock the Xmas dinner of ya

There's a few standard distance ones up on the TI calendar now 10k Run, 40k Bike, 5k Run.

Trim has 2
    Fingal has 1
    Banner has 1

Lots of sprints as well for anyone that's interested.

Just out of interest, and I know this is probably a stupid question, but why does the long run come first? I would have thought that the shorter run would be more in line with a 1.5k swim. It doesn't make any difference in the end, just curious.

pointer28 wrote: »
    There's a few standard distance ones up on the TI calendar now 10k Run, 40k Bike, 5k Run.

Trim has 2
    Fingal has 1
    Banner has 1

Just out of interest, and I know this is probably a stupid question, but why does the long run come first? I would have thought that the shorter run would be more in line with a 1.5k swim. It doesn't make any difference in the end, just curious.

You started off saying that duathlons went being treated as a sort in their own right and then wonder why the distances don't really with triathlon..... 😊 its a different sport. .....

They are not trying to replicate an event for non swimmers. They are events and formats in their own right.

• Advertisement

Trim has 2
    Fingal has 1
    Banner has 1

Fingal had one. One that will be cancelled a few weeks out. There will be no duathlons or triathlons in North Dublin this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

So, there's 3 of us, cool!

I thought I was the only one.

As a roadie who likes to run also, having ran cross country in school, I am all for this. I did the first Fingal tri duathlon early this year. It was a 6/20/6 and I loved it. 3km of climbing straight away on the first run leg, the cycle was a flat power around which I absolutely ate up (as a racing cyclist) past others who were ahead of me after the first run and the second run leg was a repeat of the first.

Great fun. I'd love to do more of these as I've no desire to do the swimming of tri events.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

spreads the field more out if you have the longer run first

Trim has 2
    Fingal has 1
    Banner has 1

Thanks Peter,

That makes perfect sense, I was just wondering.

Well, f#ck it anyway.

The two Trim races have been changed to Sprint distance on the TI calendar.

Looks like I'll have to go to Shannon instead. Trim was so handy too.

Advertisement