Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocating feral cats to farm - any advice

• 07-11-2013 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hello, to help combat our rat and mice problem and to help ease the burden on one of our local rescues, my husband and I have decided to take on some of their feral cats and we are just looking for a few pieces of advice.

The woman from the rescue is coming out to us next Thursday with 3 or 4 feral cats that have been neutered and wormed.
    We have a large farm and large farmsheds. In one of the farmsheds is a large, warm room that is secure with doors that can be locked from the outside and we are going to set up a "home" for the cats there. I am aware that they should be kept securely for the first month to allow them to adjust to their new home and accept it as their own.
    I know cats, particularly feral cats, like to hide so I'm going to make a bed that's enclosed. My first question - do I make up a bed for each cat or one large bed for all of them?
    When I say make a bed, I mean that, as we do live on a farm, there's plenty of materials around to tap together a little bedding area for the cats and then I was going to fill the beds up with blankets and maybe one or two items of clothing belonging to myself and my husband to get used to our scent.
    As they are feral I know they will be living outside but I would like for them to have somewhere nice to sleep, particularly during the winter.

My next question is in relation to a litter tray. While they are being kept securely for the first month, would there be any need to introduce a litter tray? They have probably been going to the toilet wherever they like up to now so training them to use a litter tray might be impossible. What do you think?
    Also, if they're not going to be using a litter tray, what can I expect from them in relation to the toilet habits? We have 3 dogs, a great dane and 2 german shepherds, so while I am obviously not expecting the same volume, what can I expect? How often and with what should I clean out their room?

My last question is in relation to my dogs. My dogs live indoors but obviously they wander around the farm and do their own thing too. Should I keep them completely separate to the cats or should I just not make it a big deal for them, leave them all to it and they can figure things out for themselves?
    Obviously the feral cats are feral cats and not exactly the snuggling on the couch types but at the same time I still want to treat them with kindness and give them a nice safe home.

All advice welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

My first question - do I make up a bed for each cat or one large bed for all of them?

A group bed is the best idea - they will be scared and will take comfort from close physical contact with each other. You can put about a foot of fresh hay or straw in there, and they'll love it.

My next question is in relation to a litter tray. While they are being kept securely for the first month, would there be any need to introduce a litter tray?

Definitely. And don't worry, they will definitely use it! It will be really upsetting for them if they have no choice but to poop and pee everywhere and anywhere. Buy the biggest tray you can find. The biggest one I've found is in Maxi Zoo. There is no need to change out the hay/straw - in fact it will probably upset them if you do that. But I would clean out the litter tray daily with a litter scoop while you are in there topping up food and water. Sift out the poops and leave the damp litter intact until it's fully used up. Chat away to them in a quiet, sweet voice so that they get used to you. Don't expect them to interact with you - they will stay hidden.

Should I keep the (dogs) completely separate to the cats or should I just not make it a big deal for them, leave them all to it and they can figure things out for themselves?

This really depends on the dogs. Are they cat chasers? I certainly wouldn't have them around the door of the room you are keeping the cats in for the first month as it'll really stress them. I think farm homes for ferals with dogs already in situ are generally okay so long as the dogs don't hate cats! So long as the cats have easy access to somewhere high to escape to when the dogs are out and about, it'll be fine. We find that the cats usually set up home high up in the hay bales, where they're warm and feel secure. (Cats feel safest at a height.) Bear in mind too that they'll be mostly active at night, when the dogs are gone indoors (if they're indoor dogs) so again, they won't have much face-to-face contact.

Hope that helps, well done you. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

cant really offer you any advice im afraid

but I just felt I had to post and say well done and hope everything works out

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mustlove everyone

boomerang wrote: »
    My first question - do I make up a bed for each cat or one large bed for all of them?

A group bed is the best idea - they will be scared and will take comfort from close physical contact with each other. You can put about a foot of fresh hay or straw in there, and they'll love it.

My next question is in relation to a litter tray. While they are being kept securely for the first month, would there be any need to introduce a litter tray?

Definitely. And don't worry, they will definitely use it! It will be really upsetting for them if they have no choice but to poop and pee everywhere and anywhere. Buy the biggest tray you can find. The biggest one I've found is in Maxi Zoo. There is no need to change out the hay/straw - in fact it will probably upset them if you do that. But I would clean out the litter tray daily with a litter scoop while you are in there topping up food and water. Sift out the poops and leave the damp litter intact until it's fully used up. Chat away to them in a quiet, sweet voice so that they get used to you. Don't expect them to interact with you - they will stay hidden.

Should I keep the (dogs) completely separate to the cats or should I just not make it a big deal for them, leave them all to it and they can figure things out for themselves?

This really depends on the dogs. Are they cat chasers? I certainly wouldn't have them around the door of the room you are keeping the cats in for the first month as it'll really stress them. I think farm homes for ferals with dogs already in situ are generally okay so long as the dogs don't hate cats! So long as the cats have easy access to somewhere high to escape to when the dogs are out and about, it'll be fine. We find that the cats usually set up home high up in the hay bales, where they're warm and feel secure. (Cats feel safest at a height.) Bear in mind too that they'll be mostly active at night, when the dogs are gone indoors (if they're indoor dogs) so again, they won't have much face-to-face contact.

Hope that helps, well done you. :)

That's brilliant boomerang, thanks very much.

The dogs have never met or seen a cat. They're all very laidback, the great dane in particular wouldn't have much interest in someone/thing that can't feed him or hug him lol
    I was planning on keeping them away for the first month to let the cats settle in and then just not making a big deal out of introductions and letting them all meet naturally. As you say, the cats will probably just do their own thing anyway. There's plenty of places for the cats to jump up to so they'll be able to escape if the dogs get too much. In their room there's two entrances so i was thinking, after the first month, to make a little cat sized door in one for them to go in and out of, just to keep the dogs out of their space and give them a bit of peace.

Oh, I suppose they won't want toys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I have that huge cat litter tray from Zooplus.ie, you might find it a bit cheaper on Zooplus.uk. The tray is fantastic, I just ordered another one of them last week as Poppy is putting Toby off using it. I use Cats Best Oko Plus litter in it. It's not expensive, is biodegradable and clumps really well. We usually put at least 10 litres of litter in the tray for depth as the tray is so big.

I'd definitely put some toys in, I think all cats love to play:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Oh, I suppose they won't want toys?

You want them to keep down the rats and mice. They will make their own toys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

You want them to keep down the rats and mice. They will make their own toys.

Not while confined in an enclosed shed for a month they won't.

In the long term OP they won't need toys, but it might be an idea for the period of their confinement, especially if they are under a year old. Scrunched up balls of tin foil are the best, as they can bat them around and then shred them. :)

Once released onto the farm, the environment will give them all the stimulation they need. :)

boomerang wrote: »
    Not while confined in an enclosed shed for a month they won't.

In the long term OP they won't need toys, but it might be an idea for the period of their confinement, especially if they are under a year old. Scrunched up balls of tin foil are the best, as they can bat them around and then shred them. :)

Once released onto the farm, the environment will give them all the stimulation they need. :)

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I don't want them to be bored for the first month.

Thanks for all the advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,524 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Ah how nice of you to rid your Area of songbirds and small mammals ,

Mod note: before anyone comments on this and subsequent posts before reading the whole thread, please be advised that I have asked for this line of discussion to stop. Please stay on topic, no discussion of cats' interactions with wildlife: that's for another thread.
    Thanks
    DBB

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »

What would you propose to solve the two problems I've mentioned? I'm all ears.

I think you should really do a bit of research before you criticise someone for helping ferals. Ferals don't wipe out bird populations or have a detrimental effect on small mammals. That information is outdated and old fashioned. Rats would have a bigger impact on birds, eating eggs and killing birds:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

I think you should really do a bit of research before you criticise someone for helping ferals. Ferals don't wipe out bird populations or have a detrimental effect on small mammals. That information is outdated and old fashioned. Rats would have a bigger impact on birds, eating eggs and killing birds:rolleyes:

Tell that to ground nesting birds like corncrake in Mayo and Donegal. Feral cats in high densities have severe effects on those birds.

Tell that to ground nesting birds like corncrake in Mayo and Donegal. Feral cats in high densities have severe effects on those birds.
    The OP's ferals will be neutered/spayed so won't create a problem. I could argue with you all night about this, I'm not trying to be offensive, but if you do some reading on Trap Neuter Return of feral cats, you will find that a managed feral cat colony is a far more practical solution than removing feral cats.

Ferals is a word that covers a multitude. Ultimately they are cats who've been left to fend for themselves, often living miserable, sick and short lives. That is a man made problem. The OP is giving a good and safe home to some cats that need it.

I'm not in Mayo or Donegal. Assuming you come down on the same side as Markcheese, judging by your post you appear to, what would you suggest as an alternative solution to the two problems I've mentioned, being our rat and mice problem and one of our local rescues being full to capacity with feral cats?

I hope someone has told the cats that... I only have anecdotal evidence (have a lot of farmer friends most with farm cats) but farm cats bring back a lot of small birds, one friends farmyard has got a lot quieter since he got a killing machine,(he's thrilled about the rodents not so thrilled about birds ,frogs shrews ect. )
    Also,i know they've done research in new Zealand on feral cats effects on wild birds ,the cats didn't come out smelling of roses :) (think the reasearch was done around mangowai heads on north island but long before I was online)
    Also if your eyes keep rolling you might want to see a doctor...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

I hope someone has told the cats that... I only have anecdotal evidence (have a lot of farmer friends most with farm cats) but farm cats bring back a lot of small birds, one friends farmyard has got a lot quieter since he got a killing machine,(he's thrilled about the rodents not so thrilled about birds ,frogs shrews ect. )
    Also,i know they've done research in new Zealand on feral cats effects on wild birds ,the cats didn't come out smelling of roses :) (think the reasearch was done around mangowai heads on north island but long before I was online)

I have to ask again, what would be your alternative solution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Comparing the impact of cats on wildlife here and wildlife in NZ is ridiculous.
    Birds in NZ evolved to handle different predators and are much less naturally equipped to defend themselves from cats. Studies in the UK (which would have similar birds to here) have shown the impact of cats on local songbirds to be a lot less than originally thought.
    Search the nature and birdwatching forum on Boards for links to the RSPB studies.

Mayo/Donegal is not New Zealand. As I understand it there were other issues in Mayo and Donegal such as early sileage cutting and mink. But hey, why not just blame the cats for everything. I like birds, we feed them all through Winter. Our own cats very rarely bring home birds, despite the fact that we have lots of them a few feet from the house. One of my cats was a feral kitten.

Cats aren't the only animal that will kill birds or other wildlife, and to be honest the majority of birds they kill are starlings and other common birds, it isn't like there's a shortage of those. There is always this same argument from bird lovers that cats should be killed to maintain birds, I don't understand why. Some birds die, thats life. I'd rather have a fewer birds and less rats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I'd rather have a fewer birds and less rats.

Complete agreement there.

The OP's ferals will be neutered/spayed so won't create a problem. I could argue with you all night about this, I'm not trying to be offensive, but if you do some reading on Trap Neuter Return of feral cats, you will find that a managed feral cat colony is a far more practical solution than removing feral cats.

Ferals is a word that covers a multitude. Ultimately they are cats who've been left to fend for themselves, often living miserable, sick and short lives. That is a man made problem. The OP is giving a good and safe home to some cats that need it.
    Perhaps get a barn owl nest box set up and with some sympathetic management could help a barn owl pair to set up residence on your farm. The barn owls would help keep rodent population under control.

• Advertisement

Perhaps get a barn owl nest box set up and with some sympathetic management could help a barn owl pair to set up residence on your farm. The barn owls would help keep rodent population under control.

That doesn't solve both problems though.

Mayo/Donegal is not New Zealand. As I understand it there were other issues in Mayo and Donegal such as early sileage cutting and mink. But hey, why not just blame the cats for everything. I like birds, we feed them all through Winter. Our own cats very rarely bring home birds, despite the fact that we have lots of them a few feet from the house. One of my cats was a feral kitten.

Cats aren't the only animal that will kill birds or other wildlife, and to be honest the majority of birds they kill are starlings and other common birds, it isn't like there's a shortage of those. There is always this same argument from bird lovers that cats should be killed to maintain birds, I don't understand why. Some birds die, thats life. I'd rather have a fewer birds and less rats.

Starling numbers are declining rapidly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Capercaille, this is NOT the thread to start this discussion. If you want to discuss this topic, start a new thread, or do a search for all the dozens of other threads on the topic which were locked after turning into trainwrecks.
    Stay on topic from this point on.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

<snip>

op fair play to you for taking in some ferals, it wont look like they'll appreciate it but let me reassure you that they do. ferals have a very low life expectancy compared to pet cats so you'll be putting years on these poor things.

If you have room for anymore feral cats or you know of any of your neighbors looking to get in some ferals let people here know. I know that my local animal rescue could do with a few farms like yours.

I have to ask again, what would be your alternative solution?

Depends , the problem of too many feral cats in shelters ,you wouldn't like my solution .
    To be fair I haven't a problem with 1 or 2 cats on a farm, and fair dues for getting neutered ones, if you have a major rodent issue,look at why, judicious use of appropriate poison in appropriate bait boxs can help ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Mod, just read your post, sorry about that....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Buy a few buckets of Storm. Bringing feral cats about the place is simply substituting large furry vermin for small furry vermin. If you have sheep you run the risk of an abortion storm pre lambing with feral cats. As you already have dogs, get a good terrier if you want an animal remedy.

Right Ive had enough of this and people advocating killing animals.
    You can have a one week ban from the forum.
    And from here on in its an instant ban of one week for the first offence and then a permanent ban for the second.No warnings will be given.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Nature Advocate

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Nature Advocate

<snip>

For ignoring multiple mod warnings, take a ban from the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Right Ive had enough of this and people advocating killing animals.
    You can have a one week ban from the forum.
    And from here on in its an instant ban of one week for the first offence and then a permanent ban for the second.No warnings will be given.

Your charter allows discussion of vermin control. How can you ban a user when its exactly this he discussed?
    I notice too the charter has vanished, but I know what it says.
    I smell a rat.

I can see the charter now, dunno why I couldn't earlier. And indeed it does allow discussion of pest control.
    So what's the story?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement