Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect: Andromeda

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Venom wrote: »
    There's alot of debate the female player character was made less attractive on purpose.

http://www.oneangrygamer.net/2017/02/gamers-feel-mass-effect-andromeda-characters-are-ugly/24519/

Seems weird to me. I don't think Aloy from Horizon Zero Dawn is an attractive character model yet looks completely fine. This character model just looks goofy and like a wax model.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Venom wrote: »
    There's alot of debate the female player character was made less attractive on purpose.

http://www.oneangrygamer.net/2017/02/gamers-feel-mass-effect-andromeda-characters-are-ugly/24519/

It's nothing to do with attractiveness or anything like it with me, she just doesn't look human.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

It's about immersion breaking crapness with me, not anything else.
    Besides, isn't it the companions that are supposed to be attractive?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Are people really debating getting the game over facial animations? Bleedin' 'eck.

I think it looks fantastic and I won't be letting a weird looking female character stop me buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

CatInABox wrote: »
    It's nothing to do with attractiveness or anything like it with me, she just doesn't look human.

They changed an actual natural face in a way that pushes it into the uncanny, don't know if it on purpose but it happens a lot where they've used a actual person sometimes it just comes out wrong.

Look at Jessica chobot in the last game her ME character was meant to look like her (as opposed to be somewhat based on her) and it came out really weird looking. Don't think Sera looks as bad in motion as she does in still, it's a bit more natural looking.

Could be that they tried to change the characters face to blend it with the brother and father and it just went astray.

• Advertisement

Cina wrote: »
    Are people really debating getting the game over facial animations? Bleedin' 'eck.

I think it looks fantastic and I won't be letting a weird looking female character stop me buying it.

Yes. It's immersion breaking.

Good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Yes. It's immersion breaking.

Good for you.

The first three games all had the same issues, though. This isn't a new thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

And GTA1 was a top down game with blocky graphics, won't stop people commenting on graphics in GTA6

If you think they did, that's your prerogative. I think you're wrong.

Any botchy looking animations from 5-10 years ago can be attributed to technology/engine limitations of the time.
    The facial animations were great in the first game, and steadily got better throughout the trilogy.

The Female Ryder facial animations are seriously broken in every video that's been showcased. The Male Ryder isn't nearly as bad.

This isnt a beauty/ugly thing, it's technically bollocksed up.
    This is the reason i'm not preordering the game, i want to be sure that when i play it, these fcukups arent there, otherwise the immersion of the RPG is broken.

Someone linked a video - i'll link it again, where in the first 12 seconds you get to see a hilariously bad cutscene of Ryder making the weirdest face yet. Plus the gameplay reveal from a few months back that sparked all the controversy in the first place.

We've been told by publishers like IGN etc taht these problems have been fixed but as of yet there is no proof to suggest that it has as bioware havent sent out final version of the game and the latest one they have sent out has these stupid animations in them.

Ye know, the combat side of the game looks decent enough, but that's only half of what you're going to be paying for, it is after all, an RPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I don't know why they are focussing on straight men. Gay men don't like looking at ugly things either. If you think I need to be a straight man to find looking at her weird puffy face unpleasant then you need to rethink your assumptions.

I have to look at enough weird faces in real life, is it really such a crime to want to see aesthetically pleasing things in a fantasy video game?

And it's certainly not a gender thing. I loved Femshep. Femshep is the real Commander Shepard in my book/memory.

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    I don't know why they are focussing on straight men. Gay men don't like looking at ugly things either. If you think I need to be a straight man to find looking at her weird puffy face unpleasant then you need to rethink your assumptions.

I have to look at enough weird faces in real life, is it really such a crime to want to see aesthetically pleasing things in a fantasy video game?

And it's certainly not a gender thing. I loved Femshep. Femshep is the real Commander Shepard in my book/memory.

Same here, mostly because she had a superior voice actor. Mark Meer was just awful imo

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I thought Male Shep did a grand job, and got better as the series went on. He's no Jennifer Hale, but Shep is definitely male for me.

Is there a character creation thing in Andromeda, or are the looks set as they are?

No idea, but it'd fix a lot of the problems I have with the game if there were.
    At least potentially.

Oh, and i meant to mention this a while back - but it's another reason to hold off on your preorder
    It's going to be on Origin/EA Access with a ten hour limit on the 16th of this month.
    There's also a free week of access on origin, not sure what way or if that'll work out for console users but there it is.
    https://www.ea.com/eaaccess/news/the-vault-expands-with-these-ea-stalwarts.html
    Additionally, members will be able to experience 10 hours of the next chapter in the epic space opera, Mass Effect™: Andromeda before its release with the EA Access Play First Trial beginning on March 16, 2017.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

No idea, but it'd fix a lot of the problems I have with the game if there were.
    At least potentially.

Oh, and i meant to mention this a while back - but it's another reason to hold off on your preorder
    It's going to be on Origin/EA Access with a ten hour limit on the 16th of this month.
    There's also a free week of access on origin, not sure what way or if that'll work out for console users but there it is.
    https://www.ea.com/eaaccess/news/the-vault-expands-with-these-ea-stalwarts.html

Yeah, that's going to be one trial that I'll play all ten hours of. This is probably the one game that I'll break my "No full price games" rule for, but only if it's still got that mass effect feel.

If nothing else it'll prove or disprove how those animations are working with femryder

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Kiith wrote: »
    Is there a character creation thing in Andromeda, or are the looks set as they are?

I read that you can make your own appearance, so this really isn't a big issue. I don't want to be seeing her big bloated face on all the promo material though.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,882 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Zillah wrote: »
    I read that you can make your own appearance, so this really isn't a big issue. I don't want to be seeing her big bloated face on all the promo material though.

The underlying animations world remain the same though.

Also, talk of a day one patch, which the 10 hour preview wont have.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Doesn't every game have a day one patch these days?

What kind of prices are people seeing in shops? For PS4?

Edit:
    Decided to go with Smyths. They had €5 off a preorder when you do it online, so is working out at €59.99, which, realistically, is only a few euro more than amazon + parcel motel. At least that way I'm guaranteed a copy on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,882 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

J. Marston wrote: »
    Doesn't every game have a day one patch these days?

Yes, but my understanding from listening to mass effect odesey is that wonky animations are a key point for this day one patch.

I don't think it will change much though to be honest, if the animations have issues at this stage they are here to stay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

cant you change the appearance of your character in this? could always in the other mass effects, if so the female leads appearance shouldnt really matter

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

They've said you could change appearance the whole time and not only that, but it either impacted the appearance of your sibling and Ryder Sr (ie, if you're black, so are they) or else you'd have direct control over how they looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Remember that multiplayer beta you might have signed up for and how it took bloody ages to fill it all out? Yupp, all for nothing.
    While we will have live multiplayer at PAX East, there will no longer be a multiplayer tech test for players at home. Thank you to everyone who signed up. We look forward to seeing you in Andromeda.

http://blog.bioware.com/2017/03/01/bioware-at-pax-east-2017/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Remember that multiplayer beta you might have signed up for and how it took bloody ages to fill it all out? Yupp, all for nothing.

http://blog.bioware.com/2017/03/01/bioware-at-pax-east-2017/

These games need stress testing.

I'd be very worried about the state of multiplayer on launch if there's not going to be a beta.

I can only assume it's because it's not ready.

I didnt wanna say anything, but yeah i agree :)

Eh.

I'm not that bothered about the multiplayer being ready. As long as the single player is up to par with the previous games, then I wouldn't give a toss if it didn't have any at all.

Also - days booked off, copy prebooked. I'm more excited about this than actual holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Gbear wrote: »
    These games need stress testing.

I'd be very worried about the state of multiplayer on launch if there's not going to be a beta.

I can only assume it's because it's not ready.

Couldn't give a flying fig about the multiplayer in this just like I didn't with Mass Effect 3 but the performance issues in the hands on concern me more than a closed Beta.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

It's 70 on PSN for a digital copy with some day one goodies and a theme. Also, for March, spending 50 quid, proeorders included, will get you 10 euro put back into your wallet in April.

New video out tomorrow about Exploration.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Zero-Cool wrote: »

New video out tomorrow about Exploration.

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Kiith wrote: »
    PcGamer said it feels like the first one, with a far superior combat system. Sounds good to me.

This has deffo pulled me back in. By the end of the third one I think I had had enough.
    1st one is in my 10 ten games ever.

Advertisement