Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect: Andromeda

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

For anyone buying the Deluxe or Super Deluxe editions:

https://twitter.com/GambleMike/status/841341992030359553

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

This looks very very good....deffo gonna pick this up before I get Ghost Recon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    For anyone buying the Deluxe or Super Deluxe editions:

https://twitter.com/GambleMike/status/841341992030359553

.. Damn it, I might as well get the Deluxe.

I'm a superfan sucker for Mass Effect! :pac:

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    .. Damn it, I might as well get the Deluxe.

I'm a superfan sucker for Mass Effect! :pac:

The deluxe was tempting enough with the pet monkey :)

The super deluxe for 100 is crazy. Might be with for those who actually spend money on multiplayer though but for 100 quid I'd want a statue or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

http://www.pcgamer.com/were-streaming-the-opening-hours-of-mass-effect-andromeda/

Slightly longer version with story spoilers in that one.

Still cant tell properly about the face animations - you'll see why after 2 minutes.

Resource scanning is nice the first time you do it, the ship flies to whatever point in whatever system, taking i dunno, 10 seconds or so, there "might" be resources there, there might not. That could get really old really quickly without a skip button, which it apparently does not have.

Lots of platforming jumping around on stuff with the iffy jump pack and crappy collision detection.

There's an alien version of sudoku (
    apparently a regular thing to do with the pylons
    )- which made no sense to me at all, guys streaming didn't really know about it either.

Environmental hazards are a thing. Both in and out of the mako - reminded me of NMS.

They didnt show a lot of combat in that stream - but the PS version on polygon shows how glitchy it can be. With mobs stuck in terrain, stuck midway through a jump over cover and disappearing and so on. I'd say that's another collision detection thing. Ye can see that constantly when they're jumping onto things.

Still not sold on this :/ roll on thursday so i can see for myself

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

http://www.pcgamer.com/were-streaming-the-opening-hours-of-mass-effect-andromeda/

Slightly longer version with story spoilers in that one.

Still cant tell properly about the face animations - you'll see why after 2 minutes.

Resource scanning is nice the first time you do it, the ship flies to whatever point in whatever system, taking i dunno, 10 seconds or so, there "might" be resources there, there might not. That could get really old really quickly without a skip button, which it apparently does not have.

Lots of platforming jumping around on stuff with the iffy jump pack and crappy collision detection.

There's an alien version of sudoku (
    apparently a regular thing to do with the pylons
    )- which made no sense to me at all, guys streaming didn't really know about it either.

Environmental hazards are a thing. Both in and out of the mako - reminded me of NMS.

They didnt show a lot of combat in that stream - but the PS version on polygon shows how glitchy it can be. With mobs stuck in terrain, disappearing and so on. I'd say that's another collision detection thing. Ye can see that constantly when they're jumping onto things.

Still not sold on this :/ roll on thursday so i can see for myself

If you decide too get it, you'll be getting on pc?

If you decide too get it, you'll be getting on pc?
    Yeah

A guy on neogaf claims to have gotten an early copy and gave his thoughts on the first 3 hours. For anyone avoiding spoilers, it was very positive, ending in

"All in all, I can't wait to continue on later today. It was pretty addictive, and as a Mass Effect fan that loved the trilogy and was hoping this would turn out well, I'm so relieved. It's Mass Effect. 100%."

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1352471

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    A guy on neogaf claims to have gotten an early copy and gave his thoughts on the first 3 hours. For anyone avoiding spoilers, it was very positive, ending in

"All in all, I can't wait to continue on later today. It was pretty addictive, and as a Mass Effect fan that loved the trilogy and was hoping this would turn out well, I'm so relieved. It's Mass Effect. 100%."

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1352471

No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator - looks like it was deleted

nvm - just seen you were linking from a mobile this one works

Uh yeah, i get the impression the op was given a copy by the game director - He's clearly a big fan of the franchise, i'd rather read a more neutral review of it tbh.

2017-03-1419_08_40-jozalzi.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yikes! RPS has their preview up.

The title of the article is "The first few hours of Mass Effect: Andromeda are… well they aren’t good"

CatInABox wrote: »

The title of the article is "The first few hours of Mass Effect: Andromeda are… well they aren’t good"

Well that was a bit too neutral xD ffs he didn't hold back did he?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Well that was a bit too neutral xD ffs he didn't hold back did he?

No, no he did not.

I'd missed most of the marketing push for this, so it was only in the last few weeks that I started looking forward to this. That bubble has burst now.

No, no he did not.

I'd missed most of the marketing push for this, so it was only in the last few weeks that I started looking forward to this. That bubble has burst now.

I'd wait for the next big reviewer to have at it - cant gauge it just by that alone. If they're all saying the same thing, tbf i'd been thinking along the same lines as yer man too, then it's probably a flop.

10 hours of ea access play from Thursday beats reviews, I can see for myself and have time to cancel my pre-order. It's alarming though for a game of this magnitude to have all this hype but relatively little gameplay footage etc vs other AAA games before now, granted I've not gone out of my way to look for it but usually that stuff would be in your face on many of the sites I view.

I'd wait for the next big reviewer to have at it - cant gauge it just by that alone. If they're all saying the same thing, tbf i'd been thinking along the same lines as yer man too, then it's probably a flop.

Ah yeah, I don't base my purchases on just one preview, and as Enfilade said, the 10 hour preview I'll get from EA Access will help, but that preview mentioned most of the sins from Dragon Age: inquisition that I hated.

If I remember correctly, DA:I is the last game that I paid full price for. I enjoyed it, and recommended it, but yeah, I won't pay full price for a game unless it's getting near universally good previews and reviews now. I can wait a few months for a much cheaper game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I hope this game is nothing like Dragon Age: Inquisition missions wise, as I found it a real slog to finish that game due to how mind numbing so many of the quests were you needed to do in order to progress the main story.

If it had of been a stand alone game and not the final part of a series it would of been abandoned like Mafia 3 :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Haven't been following this (even though I loved the trilogy... Bar the ending) but every promo or press thing I see now is for mass effects multiplayer, wtf is going on? Who cares about mass effects multiplayer ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Easy Allies streamed the starting hour or 2 yesterday

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/128793824 (if you're interested)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

OH DEAR!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Haven't been following this (even though I loved the trilogy... Bar the ending) but every promo or press thing I see now is for mass effects multiplayer, wtf is going on? Who cares about mass effects multiplayer ffs

ME3's multiplayer was actually hugely popular. I probably put nearly as many hours into it as they main game. Not concerned about it now but I can see why they're emphasising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Zillah wrote: »
    ME3's multiplayer was actually hugely popular. I probably put nearly as many hours into as they main game. Not concerned about it now but I can see why they're emphasising it.

Plus the amount of free content and support Bioware added after release.

Yeah, around a year's worth of free content, patches and the N7 weekend goals and rewards. It was pretty awesome, and tbh that co-op was and is still excellent. I sunk in well over a thousand hours and for a short while i was even top of the Irish leaderboard (currently ninth).

I'd like to see them repeat that level of gaming in Andromeda, but i have my doubts. As ye all know by now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

This coming from the same guy who compared the Witcher 3 to eating cardboard https://twitter.com/botherer/status/679412223412969472

And has given some overly critical reviews to some pretty popular game in the past ie South Park SOT https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/03/04/wot-i-think-south-park-the-stick-of-truth/comment-page-2/#comments . Not saying the game will be without its flaws at all but he seems to be overly critical and damming nearly every single aspect of the game.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I remember them dropfeeding us levels from the game but I'm not sure I agree with "content" in the sense they actually gave us anything.

They ripped most people off with, imo, some scandelous DLC strategies and prices on single player so hardly an ask for them to repurpose some levels from the main game for multiplayer.

That said, I thouroughly enjoyed ME3's multiplayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

ME3's multiplayer was actually hugely popular. I probably put nearly as many hours into it as they main game. Not concerned about it now but I can see why they're emphasising it.

Personally never touched the mp, never bought a bioware/cdprojectred/obsidian/sp RPG dev game for multiplayer. Just couldn't care less tbh. I'm in it for the great story and characters without having to listen to "ez gg" nob heads

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

John Walker hated The Witcher 3 and loved the ending for Mass Effect 3.

I think it's safe to completely ignore his opinion.

Personally never touched the mp, never bought a bioware/cdprojectred/obsidian/sp RPG dev game for multiplayer. Just couldn't care less tbh. I'm in it for the great story and characters without having to listen to "ez gg" nob heads

That's the thing though, people do buy the bioware brand specifically for the story. That's why i buy their games. But when you've completed the game and all you have left to try is the multiplayer - sure fcuk it, why not?

One of the best parts about the multiplayer in ME3 was that it wasn't PVP, it was coop and horde mode with some levelling mechanics. Teamwork on the harder difficulties required cooperation and skill. In short, it was simply fun. It would probably have sold quite well by itself outside of the ME franchise, the game has a bad rep because of how they handled combining your war efforts in MP with the single player and that was a mistake on their part. If they'd kept them separate it could have been received a lot better than it was.

Honestly, if ye haven't played it an still have the game - fire it up for a game or two and see what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Kiith wrote: »
    John Walker hated The Witcher 3 and loved the ending for Mass Effect 3.

I think it's safe to completely ignore his opinion.

Which sounds reasonable but the article made a few damn convincing points. I am highly concerned now. All that talk about horrendous dialogue, wooden characters, empty side quests - not sure that can be chalked up to taste. It also fits in very well with the rake of staff who left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Which sounds reasonable but the article made a few damn convincing points. I am highly concerned now. All that talk about horrendous dialogue, wooden characters, empty side quests - not sure that can be chalked up to taste. It also fits in very well with the rake of staff who left.

In response to Rock paper Shotguns review. Seems a more nuanced take on what we might expect.

Advertisement