Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect: Andromeda

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

DrWu wrote: »
    CD Projekt Red blew all the other developers out of the water with Witcher 3. Mature, clever, with real depth of story, interesting side quests, etc. It's going to be a tough one to beat and rushing out crap like MEA isn't going to cut it in a post-Witcher 3 industry. High hopes for Red Dead 2 though.

Rushed out crap ? Have you played it?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

Really don't understand all the backlash against this to be honest. I've never felt so out of step with consensus before. Having used up my 10 hour trial I'd still contend that anyone who enjoyed the original trilogy will enjoy this. I'm really looking forward to release so I can dive back in.

Then again I'd have no interest whatsoever in something like Zelda, so maybe I'm just on a different wavelength to some of you guys.

From the ****ty animations, stilited dialouge,sub par writing and 1990s fetch quest design that I have seen is what I am judging it on. I judge all my RPGS vs Witcher 3 as that is really the gold standard. Everyones opinion is different of course so I am just speaking personally

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Then again I'd have no interest whatsoever in something like Zelda, so maybe I'm just on a different wavelength to some of you guys.

I have never played Zelda and probably never will. Not interested in Nintendo consoles, except for a DS.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭DrWu

One odd and disturbing aspect to MEA character creation is the inability to create a white character. The skin tone slider only goes so far. I genuinely knew nothing about this guy Manveer Heir who worked on MEA until I saw a Youtube vid about him this morning and I don't want to jump to conclusions but....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

DrWu wrote: »
    One odd and disturbing aspect to MEA character creation is the inability to create a white character. The skin tone slider only goes so far. I genuinely knew nothing about this guy Manveer Heir who worked on MEA until I saw a Youtube vid about him this morning and I don't want to jump to conclusions but....

That man has serious race issues. But i doubt he had anything to do with it, it just wouldn't have gotten passed QA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭DrWu

Rushed out crap ? Have you played it?

Yep. I think the reviews have been very generous. Everything people are giving it credit for are basic things that a next gen sci-fi game SHOULD be doing anyway.

It is a triple A title that is riddled with fundamental flaws (story, characterization, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

ME:A Culpa

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

I have the full version of the game and have to say Im loving it so far. The graphics outside of the mad animations are amazing. The environments look spectacular with a really good draw distance.

I havent found any issues with the dialogue either and the Krogan that joins your team looks like good craic. Combat wise its a lot of fun too and im playing on insanity. Anyone that enjoyed the previous Mass Effects will love it. Ive only just set up on EOS so a long way to go but so far Im loving the atmosphere/into the unknown feeling it has.

It is a pity everyone looks like a weird glitchy android from Alien but its not the end of the world.

Skerries wrote: »
    ME:A Culpa

clever :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I've seen it described as Dragon Age: Inquisition in space which is absolutely fine by me. There even seem to be parallels between the awful starting that both of them get off to.

So much going on now though with Zelda, Horizon and Yakuza 0 on my list that I probably won't be getting Andromeda until it's on sale.

• Advertisement

I think this guy nails the review

https://youtu.be/o-OPNTuVBS8

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I left Witcher 3 for 6 months and didn't regret it.

I think I got a better, purer experience for that.
    Might be worth it for MEA.

I'm not that arsed about the single player as of now although I'm not ruling out growing to love it in time.
    The real draw is the multiplayer, but that drove me insane in ME3 given how poorly it ran out of the box and this seems even worse.

At any rate, I won't get a chance to play it for a couple of weeks so it'll be nice to see how things stand when a little bit of the dust settles.

playing the full version atm here, the day one patch fixed a few movement problems, feels way more fluid and responsive now. So additional effects added to early game (first mission) which make a lot more sense than they did in the trial. Face animations are still bandy (not expected them to be fixed for a while) but yeah.. it's not gonna be the 90% ME game everyone wants it to be, but it's a decent game all the same.

streaming here from scratch if anyone wants to be spoiled or just cba buying or whatever.

just grabbing a cuppa before i continue on

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I'm interested in MP, looks quite good but I wonder if its worth it for MP alone, not sure I can sit through cutscene after cutscene in single player.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

• Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

That is absolutely Atrocious. Tides in final fantasy 10 in 2002 Atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ugh, trying to be edgy by making tired-face person trans:

4BBTTZi.jpg

Some blatantly obvious flaws alright, it's like they were interrupted halfway through polishing it, they got the backdrops and scenery so right, the main characters voices are mint, the NPC's not so much, some very obvious flaws in facial animations, and at times it looks the way you'd expect a Bioware game after Inquisition to look - decent.
    Some lighting issues (could be card related GTX 1070 latest driver currently, may be patch issues?) take away from the game.
    FPS is alright throughout.
    Some minor glitchy stuff, scenery or characters loading late (fractions of seconds but noticeable)
    Sound issues - when you maneuver your camera behind a soundsource (NPC or static item) it's volume decreases dramatically, to the point that it's almost muted.

These are the flaws that make a could-be great game into a playable but unpolished decent one.

If ye've ever bought a steam early access game, this is pretty much the state it's in at some points.

I think some reviewers were overly harsh on it.
    Personally, without taking the story into account (coz i dont know what's gonna happen) out of a hundred, i'd be reckoning a late 70's after the day 1 patch. 78, marked down purely on it's flaws i've mentioned here.

Depending on how the story plays out, that could be higher, lower or the same.

Fact is, the game has enough in it in most aspects to keep you occupied for a while. You can easily play the game with it's ugly flaws and be forgiving enough to swallow a small amount of your pride and maybe come out the other side with a decent story to boot.

I know i have. Much as it pains me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Got my Xbox copy this evening. Only played a small bit but seems pretty good so far. Character models are a bit iffy but not nearly as bad as I was expecting. Planet looks amazing I have to say.

Done a tiny bit of combat and it's miles better than the last game. I only just finished 3 today and Andromeda felt so fluid moving around. Jet packs are great.

Reckon I'm really goina enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Drexel wrote: »
    Got my Xbox copy this evening.

How are so many of you playing already? ME:A isn't officially out until Thursday, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Notorious wrote: »
    How are so many of you playing already? ME:A isn't officially out until Thursday, right?

Got it early off someone. Don't wanna say too much just in case anyone got in trouble.

2gb update then when installing from the disc.

Looking forward to playing more tbh. Will be bombing home from work tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Drexel wrote: »
    Got it early off someone.

Nice. I worked in Game many moons ago; I remember getting games like Borderlands 2 and Gears of War 3 nearly a week in advance. The discounts too. Those days are missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Have this pre-ordered on the PS Store are was wondering when it'll unlock, is it 12am Wednesday night/Thursday morning or later?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Some blatantly obvious flaws alright, it's like they were interrupted halfway through polishing it, they got the backdrops and scenery so right, the main characters voices are mint, the NPC's not so much, some very obvious flaws in facial animations, and at times it looks the way you'd expect a Bioware game after Inquisition to look - decent.
    Some lighting issues (could be card related GTX 1070 latest driver currently, may be patch issues?) take away from the game.
    FPS is alright throughout.
    Some minor glitchy stuff, scenery or characters loading late (fractions of seconds but noticeable)
    Sound issues - when you maneuver your camera behind a soundsource (NPC or static item) it's volume decreases dramatically, to the point that it's almost muted.

These are the flaws that make a could-be great game into a playable but unpolished decent one.

If ye've ever bought a steam early access game, this is pretty much the state it's in at some points.

I think some reviewers were overly harsh on it.
    Personally, without taking the story into account (coz i dont know what's gonna happen) out of a hundred, i'd be reckoning a late 70's after the day 1 patch. 78, marked down purely on it's flaws i've mentioned here.

Depending on how the story plays out, that could be higher, lower or the same.

Fact is, the game has enough in it in most aspects to keep you occupied for a while. You can easily play the game with it's ugly flaws and be forgiving enough to swallow a small amount of your pride and maybe come out the other side with a decent story to boot.

I know i have. Much as it pains me :P

kind of how im feeling after playing the 10 hour trial, i see the graphics issues etc. but they dont really detract much from me as i remember me1 on launch, it was bye no means perfect but i loved it, think im going to get myself this and see what i think of it, think reviewers are going to town on it to sway with all the animation crap people (even though they are disastrous at times)

how are you finding the characters, story so far? is it keeping you interesting? btw i know you used the 10 hour trial too, do you have to re download the game or does the trial count as the game?

kind of how im feeling after playing the 10 hour trial, i see the graphics issues etc. but they dont really detract much from me as i remember me1 on launch, it was bye no means perfect but i loved it, think im going to get myself this and see what i think of it, think reviewers are going to town on it to sway with all the animation crap people (even though they are disastrous at times)

how are you finding the characters, story so far? is it keeping you interesting? btw i know you used the 10 hour trial too, do you have to re download the game or does the trial count as the game?

i uninstalled the trial a few days back after i'd put in 6 hours or so, so i downloaded the full version this evening including the 500meg patch.

Yeah, the main characters are all done well, they've enough polish on them voicewise and that. The open world aspect takes away a little from the story in the way that's similar to DA:I - fcukin massive, but am currently on the first planet (Eos) after the tutorial mission. Ye cant drive too far without seeing something of interest, mining nodes, random encounters, things like that, but like i say, i'm really early game here atm so the characters are just starting to flesh themselves out. The only immersion breaking part was with yer one "my face is tired", that's just completely out of place, and they really should just remove it entirely.

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    Have this pre-ordered on the PS Store are was wondering when it'll unlock, is it 12am Wednesday night/Thursday morning or later?

Origin unlock time is Wednesday 11pm in Ireland, should be the same for XB & PS too no?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Origin unlock time is Wednesday 11pm in Ireland, should be the same for XB & PS too no?

Ah here. I misread it as 5pm on the 22nd but you're right, it's 11pm. It was 5pm for the trial. I can't understand why they insist on making unlocking it for us later than the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

i uninstalled the trial a few days back after i'd put in 6 hours or so, so i downloaded the full version this evening including the 500meg patch.

Yeah, the main characters are all done well, they've enough polish on them voicewise and that. The open world aspect takes away a little from the story in the way that's similar to DA:I - fcukin massive, but am currently on the first planet (Eos) after the tutorial mission. Ye cant drive too far without seeing something of interest, mining nodes, random encounters, things like that, but like i say, i'm really early game here atm so the characters are just starting to flesh themselves out. The only immersion breaking part was with yer one "my face is tired", that's just completely out of place, and they really should just remove it entirely.
    So you have to uninstall the Trials on Origin? It doesn't just update to the full release?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

If you bought it digitall on PSN, you can pre-download it now. along with theme and bonuses. Game then unlocks midnight Wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

humanji wrote: »
    So you have to uninstall the Trials on Origin? It doesn't just update to the full release?

For BF1 the same data was used for the trial and the full game.

Advertisement