Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect: Andromeda

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I started the trial last night, after wanting to hold off till a day or two before release. Figured i'd burn through the 10 hours and didn't want to have to wait a few days to play it again.

First impressions are it's Mass Effect. Pretty much exactly what i expected. Combat is better, though feels oddly clunky in the movement at times, but it's mostly an improvement. The facial animations are frankly terrible at times. Like hilariously so. Have had a few NPC's randomly fly off screen, and two crashes to the desktop in 5 hours, which isn't great. But so far I'm really enjoying it. Story seems interesting enough, and the graphics are pretty great at times. Voice acting is a mixed bag, but the companions so far seem interesting and I'm looking forward to getting back into it later.

Played a few MP games as well, and had a blast. Definitely see myself getting stuck into this again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Kiith wrote: »
    I started the trial last night, after wanting to hold off till a day or two before release. Figured i'd burn through the 10 hours and didn't want to have to wait a few days to play it again.

First impressions are it's Mass Effect. Pretty much exactly what i expected. Combat is better, though feels oddly clunky in the movement at times, but it's mostly an improvement. The facial animations are frankly terrible at times. Like hilariously so. Have had a few NPC's randomly fly off screen, and two crashes to the desktop in 5 hours, which isn't great. But so far I'm really enjoying it. Story seems interesting enough, and the graphics are pretty great at times. Voice acting is a mixed bag, but the companions so far seem interesting and I'm looking forward to getting back into it later.

Played a few MP games as well, and had a blast. Definitely see myself getting stuck into this again.

I've done the same to be honest , waited to do the trial I think I have 8 hours left on it which should get me to to unlock.

As an ME fan it starting to grow on me the polish and the politics were turning me off it but I've just switched off and playing it on its own merit will decide once completed if it lives up to the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

*snip*

Cutscene quality isn't great, maybe ME1 level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

Notorious wrote: »
    How are so many of you playing already? ME:A isn't officially out until Thursday, right?

There's probably a few copies coming out of EA Galway. ;) That unit used to support Bioware.

I know a guy that has a senior position within CeX. He told me to always check their stores for brand new EA games as soon as they've been released because early copies are always coming out of Galway. Maybe that's BS but it sounds plausible. There's always people playing games before release and they must be getting them from somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

So conflicted right now. Have been looking forward to this since announcement, but with all the flaws is my money better going to Horizon?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

So conflicted right now. Have been looking forward to this since announcement, but with all the flaws is my money better going to Horizon?

61790976.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

humanji wrote: »
    So you have to uninstall the Trials on Origin? It doesn't just update to the full release?

No idea, the trial was in a worse state than patched game is, i'd literally no interest in continuing after the single player blocking point so i uninstalled it.

Id say Andromeda will drop in price much fater than Horizon will. Get horizon, take your time with it and then pick up Andromeda when the price is right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

My copy from thegamecollection was just dispatched so could have it by tomorrow.

streaming a bit more here if anyone's interested - and yeah spoilers galore as i've just been past the part that the trial cuts you off at

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

My copy has just been dispatched from The Game Collection. Will be waiting for me after work tomorrow. Looking forward to to playing it for about 2 weeks before Persona 5 comes out. Then hopefully I'll get back to it in the Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

DrWu wrote: »
    One odd and disturbing aspect to MEA character creation is the inability to create a white character. The skin tone slider only goes so far. I genuinely knew nothing about this guy Manveer Heir who worked on MEA until I saw a Youtube vid about him this morning and I don't want to jump to conclusions but....

He got fired from Bioware in the past few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Getting a solid 60 FPS with no dips when playing @ Fullscreen, 1080 + Ultra but there seems to be some kind of microstutter when moving the camera around. Tried it with a pad and its the same. But when i switch the game to borderless fullscreen its 60FPS in most areas but has dips in conversations and when looking in certain directions and it drops to 40 in cutscenes. But the mouse movement is as smooth as butter as it should be (bar when the FPS drops happen)

Spent the last 2 hours fiddling with settings stuff to try get it perfect. As much as i love PC gaming there is something to be said for just booting up a game on a console and having a "what you see is what you get" experience

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Getting a solid 60 FPS with no dips when playing @ Fullscreen, 1080 + Ultra but there seems to be some kind of microstutter when moving the camera around. Tried it with a pad and its the same. But when i switch the game to borderless fullscreen its 60FPS in most areas but has dips in conversations and when looking in certain directions and it drops to 40 in cutscenes. But the mouse movement is as smooth as butter as it should be (bar when the FPS drops happen)

Spent the last 2 hours fiddling with settings stuff to try get it perfect. As much as i love PC gaming there is something to be said for just booting up a game on a console and having a "what you see is what you get" experience

You could have that right now on the PC version too. Stay out of the Graphical settings. Just play it with that "What you see is what you get" in mind. :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

You could have that right now on the PC version too. Stay out of the Graphical settings. Just play it with that "What you see is what you get" in mind. :D;)

haha my preset would probably default to 4k + high giving me 10-20fps on a 390x :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

most people ive talked to that have played the 10 hour trial/game say its just more mass effect, thats exactly what im looking for so ive bought it :) ill make up my own mind on whether bioware are finished or not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Hah! Knowing if CAN be made better changes everything. I fixed it in the end, running super smooth now. Game is great as well, the facial animations don't seem nearly as bad, unless i haven't gotten to the "bad stuff" yet. The menu's are kind of clunky though and its obvious they where designed with a joypad in mind so i may switch over

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

I've it pre-ordered on the PSN Store and it's currently downloading away, I downloaded the Theme first but I've to wait till the game unlocks to use it? I thought pre-ordered themes can be used straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I have it downloaded on PSN ready to unlock tomorrow night. Yeah, I think the US can download the theme straight away as theres a YouTube video showing it a few months back.

Patch 1.04 (game not even out yet over here :pac: ) should be out today or tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

My copy just shipped from Amazon. Can't believe I started this thread back in 2013.

My copy just shipped from Amazon. Can't believe I started this thread back in 2013.

Great reading some of the old posts and speculation.

The 250 pound edition comes with a remote control Nomad

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Hah! Knowing if CAN be made better changes everything. I fixed it in the end, running super smooth now. Game is great as well, the facial animations don't seem nearly as bad, unless i haven't gotten to the "bad stuff" yet. The menu's are kind of clunky though and its obvious they where designed with a joypad in mind so i may switch over

What was the setting that was causing it in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    The 250 pound edition comes with a remote control Nomad

Is that the one that also doesn't come with the game, just the car and a steelbook?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

DrWu wrote: »
    One odd and disturbing aspect to MEA character creation is the inability to create a white character. The skin tone slider only goes so far. I genuinely knew nothing about this guy Manveer Heir who worked on MEA until I saw a Youtube vid about him this morning and I don't want to jump to conclusions but....

That Manveer Heir guy may be racist....he may not be. I don't know. But the colour slider has absolutely nothing to do with him.

Have you actually played Mass Effect 1, 2 or 3? There are no "white" people in them either. Go back and look at all the human characters in the game. None of them are white. It's a design choice and goes back to Drew Karpyshyn's vision of the future. Where was the outrage then?

Basically the idea being that hundreds of years into the future, we will all be a shade of brown. The barriers that seperated parts of the world are gone, and through generations we end up looking like that. Some lighter, some darker, but Caucasian as we know it now wont exist. Personally I think it will take a lot longer than that to happen but from an evolutionary stand point, it makes sense.

People attributing the shade of colour on your character to racism...... are at best ignorant and at worst willfully sh*t stirring and its exactly the kind of thing I've come to expect from the facebook generation.

Kirby wrote: »
    That Manveer Heir guy may be racist....he may not be. I don't know. But the colour slider has absolutely nothing to do with him.

Have you actually played Mass Effect 1, 2 or 3? There are no "white" people in them either. Go back and look at all the human characters in the game. None of them are white. It's a design choice and goes back to Drew Karpyshyn's vision of the future. Where was the outrage then?

Basically the idea being that hundreds of years into the future, we will all be a shade of brown. The barriers that seperated parts of the world are gone, and through generations we end up looking like that. Some lighter, some darker, but Caucasian as we know it now wont exist. Personally I think it will take a lot longer than that to happen but from an evolutionary stand point, it makes sense.

People attributing the shade of colour on your character to racism...... are at best ignorant and at worst willfully sh*t stirring and its exactly the kind of thing I've come to expect from the facebook generation.

he says some whacky shít for someone who's not racist

Anyway he's not working for bioware anymore, so he's someone else's problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Christ, what a gobshíte.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

The dude is a racist. I dunno why some people are frightened to say it. That said, the colour slider wouldn't bother me at all. It's the least of the problems I see with this game.

Advertisement