Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect: Andromeda

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

So what are people's general opinions on this? Get it now? Wait for a sale?

Are the models/voice acting as dodgy as the reports say?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Played for around two hours last night. Pretty good start so far, not ME2 but far better than ME3s opening. Only thing I can nag on at the moment is the character creator TERRIBLE! But much better than expected and as the critics would have you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I loved the trilogy, and so far (10-15 hours in) I'm loving this, already thinking of the game while not playing it, it has jank but IMO it was blown out of proportion

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Played for around two hours last night. Pretty good start so far, not ME2 but far better than ME3s opening. Only thing I can nag on at the moment is the character creator TERRIBLE! But much better than expected and as the critics would have you say.

If you stick to the default skins is it any better?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

So what are people's general opinions on this? Get it now? Wait for a sale?

Are the models/voice acting as dodgy as the reports say?

They've fixed a lot - they still have a lot of stuff to fix

It's not anywhere near as bad as it's made out to be. It's a diamond in the rough, and it'll never be as good as the trilogy but it never tries to be, apart from having the ME name. It is it's own game and it's very much about exploration, colonisation and tbf if you go into this game not expecting much you'll be pleasantly surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Can i ask what the trial was missing? I only just started Eos on the trial, but have i missed stuff from there already? I did have Ryder mention Peebee, who i haven't even met yet, during a random voice chat with the party. But i'd really rather not restart.
    RopeDrink wrote: »
    Doing some planet scanning but... You know... I'd have no problem with it if there wasn't a LONG ASS, UNSKIPPABLE TRAVEL SEQUENCE FOR EACH AND EVERY SPACE-STEP.

I find this quite annoying as well. Wish they would speed it up.

Kiith wrote: »
    Can i ask what the trial was missing? I only just started Eos on the trial, but have i missed stuff from there already? I did have Ryder mention Peebee, who i haven't even met yet, during a random voice chat with the party. But i'd really rather not restart.

I find this quite annoying as well. Wish they would speed it up.

Depends on when you played the trial, on the day it was released i played it, and the contrast was the actual release build had more effects and dialogue that made sense (Apart from Adsison Tann, opening dialogue "My Face is tired.."), some of the dodgy animations were fixed and a lot of the glitchy combat was fixed (not all, but i see it far less frequently). The story also made a little more sense.
    Oh and the most noticeable one, the movement was way more fluid than it was in the trial. It didnt feel laggy

I only started on Monday, and had a bunch of side quests on the Cita...whatever the station is called, so hopefully i didn't miss much.

Kiith wrote: »
    I only started on Monday, and had a bunch of side quests on the Cita...whatever the station is called, so hopefully i didn't miss much.

nexus :) it's the new citadel

if you've not had any major issues by now or in the trial you're grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Glad i took the gamble and bought this. Was looking forward to it a few months back then after the slew of bad media i was intent on picking it up later on sale some time. I went with the female preset 1 face (Asian one) and modified it very slightly and find the facial animations really are not that bad. Once or twice so far her face looked abit funny. I finished the main questline on the first planet so far but its apparent that some areas of the map are locked off (by radiation) for visitation later in the game, similiar to how it was done in Dragon Age: Inquisition. It really is more Mass Effect with a hint of Inquisition.

One gripe i have is not being able to safe at any point when your on a story based section. I was in an underground alien area where there was about 5 enemy engagement sections and a puzzle. I once died on the last enemy engagement and it sent me back to the checkpoint before all enemy fights and the puzzle :mad: I don't mind punishing deaths in videogames like Dark Souls, and i don't mind fighting enemies again but the area also has alot of containers that have loot in them and its tedious having to go and recollect them all again.

Otherwise great game. As another poster said above, i'm sometimes thinking about it when im not playing :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Not read any of the ****e about this on the interwebz and that's one reason i never do. I loved the trilogy and can't wait to pick it up from my PM after work.

Anyone up for some MP on the PC tonight? I'll be online from around 8pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Didn't get a chance to spin it up last night but will be a late one tonight. Is there anyway to have a friends list for Multiplayer to quickly invite or jump into a game with them (on PS4).

If anyone is on for multipler on PS4, give me an add - sheehy83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Will play some MP but think i'd like to get the campaign done first.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

Bugger it- I'll get it as I am really itching to get back into sci-fi and the ME universe in general. *presses buy button on PS Store

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Not had much time to plough into this yet until later but did anyone else
    get a fright when that weird creature attacks you first on the first planet?

:pac:

RopeDrink wrote: »
    I wanted to do some last night but got a bit stuck into SP. I 'would' be interested in setting up a sort of 'usual suspects' group of MP'ers though - having a bunch of people around who aren't lightyears away on potato's hosting matches should shred down the laggy PuG problem for everyone.

giz a shout on origin (pc) sprucelee76 if you're up for a bit of MP when you're done with the campaign

I'll also like to get stuck into the multiplayer with a few reliable people, but not until im done with the singleplayer.

Might create a thread for the MP people, and make it easier to find people across the various platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Not read any of the ****e about this on the interwebz and that's one reason i never do. I loved the trilogy and can't wait to pick it up from my PM after work.

I've read all the ****e but took it all with a pinch of salt, started it last night played about 3 hours of SP and about an hour of MP and didn't notice anything worth complaining about, just seemed like Mass Effect to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

i never played any of the other Mass Effect Games,i was allergic to RPG's when they came out so im looking forward to crackin into this when i get home..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Just picked up my reserved copy using the machines in argos and got the PS4 version for 44.99! Did I just yet lucky or was there a massive price drop already? Online still says 56.99..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

I preordered this on simply games ages ago and completely forgot all about it

I just got zelda yesterday so there's no way in gonna be starting this soon.

will trade it in and rebuy again sometime down the road when it's a bit cheaper.

biggebruv wrote: »
    I preordered this on simply games ages ago and completely forgot all about it

I just got zelda yesterday so there's no way in gonna be starting this soon.

will trade it in and rebuy again sometime down the road when it's a bit cheaper.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:....why not just keep it? How much NET profit do you expect to make from trading it in and then rebuying it? It can't be that much surely. How fast do console games drop in price anyway? I feel they hold their value much more than PC games. Sure i got the game on PC for 40 quid which would be a discounted price for the game on console in 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

:confused::confused::confused::confused:....why not just keep it? How much NET profit do you expect to make from trading it in and then rebuying it? It can't be that much surely. How fast do console games drop in price anyway? I feel they hold their value much more than PC games. Sure i got the game on PC for 40 quid which would be a discounted price for the game on console in 6 months.

I paid 50 for it

cex are giving 50 cash right now

in a couple of months maybe weeks even it might be on a psn deal for 25 euros if I'm lucky lol

I done the same with watchdogs 2 and horizon I basically played them for free when I was finished with them and traded them in I got all my money back

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I think his point was that if you end up re-buying it for 40-45 down the line, surely your time is worth more than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

One gripe i have is not being able to safe at any point when your on a story based section.

I thought I read somewhere than you can save at will. Does it block you from making saves in certain sections?

Because fuck that. Nothing drives me nuts in games more than having to repeat tedious elements. It adds nothing but frustration.

cant save while in combat - and if you got a bugged mob, that's a problem. Some of them decide to get themselves stuck under or inside terrain (rocks mostly) so ye have to leggit or drive off a bit til you hear ryder say "that's the last of them" or whatever.

It is an annoyance, but would be less so without the buggy stuff.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

cant save while in combat - and if you got a bugged mob, that's a problem. Some of them decide to get themselves stuck under or inside terrain (rocks mostly) so ye have to leggit or drive off a bit til you hear ryder say "that's the last of them" or whatever.

It is an annoyance, but would be less so without the buggy stuff.

Most games don't let you save whilst in combat close to an enemy. Oblivion used to be really annoy me with that. It wouldn't let you save because there was a crab somewhere nearby. Of course, you're so overpowered at this stage you could easily smash that crap to bits in a second... if you could find the fúcker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I think it probably has everything to do with their save system not being able to save the game-state of other entities including what their AI routines are doing or what animations they are in the middle of, rather than it having anything to do with balance.

Advertisement