Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect: Andromeda

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Zillah wrote: »
    I think it probably has everything to do with their save system not being able to save the game-state of other entities including what their AI routines are doing or what animations they are in the middle of, rather than it having anything to do with balance.

If that was the case you wouldn't be able to save around any NPC. They don't need to save the animation the NPC is doing. Just save the location, state, HP etc.

Few minor annoyances so far, lack of manual saves is one. Another is the view while in cover and the camera done shifting automatically depending on the direction you face you have to manually switch shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

I thought you could never save while in contact on the previous ME's?

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    I thought you could never save while in contact on the previous ME's?

Probably, most games would stop you doing that. Here you cant manually save at all while on a mission which I thought was strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Probably, most games would stop you doing that. Here you cant manually save at all while on a mission which I thought was strange.

Pretty sure I was able to last night, press Options and then select Save? Unless that was only In the first mission, im only as far as the Nexus now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

streaming a bit of mp on pc if anyone's interested

https://youtu.be/kDhuPHstrx4

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Just got to
    the angaran world after eos, can someone explain to me how all the angarans are speaking English/basic? Its wrecking my head haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Have to say, it's actually really good. The reviews seem totally overblown.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Cina wrote: »
    Now I havent played it but Ive been watching a lot of Lets Plays and streams and tbh it doesnt look finished, it looks like an Alpha a lot of the time, the characters seem to glide over the surface, same for the MAKO or whatever its name is, it glides along way too smoothly, like they havent added the physics fully yet.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    You can manually save out of combat and outside of certain zones. Otherwise, it'll automatically save everytime you phase or reach certain checkpoints. The saves are the least of my concerns with this game. It also doesn't crash as much as it did before (which has me manually saving occasionally anyway just in-case).

Bit annoyed with Apex Missions - they're all mostly Silver/Gold and asking for long wait times. Created a match and waited 10 minutes only to be throw 3x level 1 players for a mode that suggests level 10+ (granted, I started Silver at level 7-8, but I've been ME MP'ing hardcore since ME3 and have half a clue) - last thing I want is to bash my head against a wall with players who are just getting to grips with ME AND haven't even got any points invested in their characters.

Multiplayer has a lot of issues atm

Sound bugs for one - the sound crashed completely earlier in MP for one game, no sound, at all til i exited the game.

VOIP is broken. Cannot hear others, they cannot hear me, tried multiple options - all kaput, not that i want to hear other randomers talking in russian, but it's broke nonetheless.

Create Custom Game is broken - create a lobby, nobody joins in 10 minutes of looking at it lol - router port issue maybe, but it's consistent whatever it is and it exists across at least two Irish different ISP's.

Peer to peer sucks. Some people don't understand this and host while using wifi on a 56k dinosaur in outer mongolia. Same as ME3MP - mostly forgivable as it's never gonna change.

Mobs are still glitchy, even while hosting.

Melee is for shít - preferred the ME3 style auto lock-on smash face style they had before.

Everything is a bullet sponge, even on bronze.
    They should really change that, and keep the silver and gold difficulties the way they are.

The soldier classes are really weak compared to biotics and tech classes. - see bullet sponges.

Aside from all that, i do like that they've returned to ME3MP's style of game, it's deadly it just needs some attention and fixes.
    I had a few decent games today, and i'll have some more when they start fixing it properly, can easily see myself lashing in another thousand hours to get rank 1 again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

ugh went against my initial judgment and got it anyway, only at the start looks a bit dated i have it running on ultra settings doesnt look great but eh sure il keep at it, i enjoyed inquisition so hopefully this grab me. I need to look up the classes tho went with the cloaky agent type of thing but not to mad on it so far.

Lone Stone wrote: »
    ugh went against my initial judgment and got it anyway, only at the start looks a bit dated i have it running on ultra settings doesnt look great but eh sure il keep at it, i enjoyed inquisition so hopefully this grab me. I need to look up the classes tho went with the cloaky agent type of thing but not to mad on it so far.

Head to the medbay on your ship when ye get there, ye can respec for almost nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

The voice acting and writing in this is not even approaching acceptable. It's like power rangers ffs. There's not a hint of maturity, really disappointing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Totally agree. It feels so familiar and that's what i like about it. I never go by reviews unless a game is really slated everywhere.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Regarding above respec comment:

"For almost nothing" until you've used it a few times. Doing it 2-4 times results in costs hitting the thousand+ mark, so don't go on a respec spree (and save before you do, just in-case).

Totally agree on melee in Andromeda - it's garbage. Well, it FEELS garbage (not 'actually' garbage), there's some interesting builds/mods that can make it better, and you have melee weapon choices - but yes, I preferred the 'light' & 'heavy' version, with some classes being near-exclusively melee compared to others - gave it an edge. In Andromeda, it's like an afterthought, and not a very satisfying one.

I'm ironically usually scoring very highly as said 'underpowered soldier' which I find perfectly fine. Yes, mobs are bullet sponges (when have they not been? If you were in Plat on ME3-MP, you know that only certain classes and/or weapons and/or combos would chunk Plat Mobs. What you have to remember is that lower difficulty is typically played by... Well, lower level classes/characters, and that's not even taking into account experience (ie. does the player even know they can chain-combo, or the differences in their weapons vs armor and shields? Or are they just picking any old **** and holding the button expecting things to die in a hurry? Because it was never like that - and shouldn't be).

They won't be bullet sponges when you're rocking max level characters will full mods and consumables, but they need to be starting out otherwise everything dies in one hit. As it stands, any unshielded pleb is dead with a Conc-Shot and a few spare bullets. Later on they won't even need those bullets when Conc is max rank. It's the grind - it's how it goes, and I totally expected it. I've played Soldier pretty much exclusively thus far, much like how it was my main in ME3-MP, and it's perfectly fine. The right weapon combo & build plus a full Turbocharge and you're going to mince everything no matter how spongy it is.

Eg. I'm using a Revenant at the moment - not unlocked too many desirable weapons, but I liked it in ME3 and it seems OK here. Accuracy is pants, but huge clip and good upclose damage means Turbocharge & spray will dunk most things, even Nullifiers - and I've yet to even use a consumable in MP (or even SP come to think of it). I don't like how consumables work in Andro (much preferred setting up a more 'static' build rather than, say, Incinerate rounds being a 'for the next three clips' kind of deal, but there are mods & builds that can account for that I bet.

Bronze still feels way too strong as an introduction level to the multiplayer. Keeping in mind that you're going to be promoting your characters for rating/ranking and going through this again and again like in 3, talk about grind, it's a lot tougher than it was even with rank X N7 ultra rare weapons (Harrier, B Widow etc..) in 3.
    Unless they've removed that part of the N7/Apex rank progression - not sure.

Silver is fine for difficulty, as is gold - i actually completed 2/3 gold ones last night with pugs, though the last one was atrociously bad with my level 10 infiltrator and 3 level 1 soldiers :D

The levelling itself is a grind too - even scoring well on gold, the xp seems identical to bronze only the credit reward is larger.

After spending an hour in the trial unable to play a single game of MP and giving up on it. To playing a day of it yesterday on various characters and difficulties, that's what i reckon anyway.
    Yay ME3MP is back! Boo it needs some love from the devs before it works properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

The voice acting and writing in this is not even approaching acceptable. It's like power rangers ffs. There's not a hint of maturity, really disappointing..

I really don't get this? It's certainly not Naughty Dog/Rockstar levels but it's no worse than the previous Mass Effect games, and I've seen plenty say it's terrible compared to them, which leads me to believe that people seem to be looking back on them with tinted glasses. The dialogue isn't great, but again, it wasn't great in them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I really don't get this? It's certainly not Naughty Dog/Rockstar levels but it's no worse than the previous Mass Effect games, and I've seen plenty say it's terrible compared to them, which leads me to believe that people seem to be looking back on them with tinted glasses. The dialogue isn't great, but again, it wasn't great in them either.

No he's right. Every piece of dialogue is terrible. I have watched a few episodes of Power Rangers on twitch and both this game and the show are on par in terms of writing quality!

Also, Suvi is a scientist that believes in god :mad: She's off the romance list and im going to be as mean to her as i can :D:D:D

Interesting insight into animations from someone how previously worked on Mass Effect games http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1354847

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Also, Suvi is a scientist that believes in god :mad: She's off the romance list and im going to be as mean to her as i can :D:D:D

LOL.

Played about 6 hours yesterday, just after finishing elos the first habitat you land on whatever its called and yea really enjoying the game even with its many faults. Some of the puzzle's aren't nearly as grinding as say fallout and the mini-quest or side quest are quite fun not Witcher 3 level of side quest but fun all the same.

If your a Mass Effect fan you'll enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I cracked and picked it up after work yesterday. After finally getting the kids to bed I got about 10 minutes then then passed out on the sofa -_- Will try again later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Did nothing but play MP, it's so much faster than ME3 but I really enjoyed it. Got up a good few credits and spent a fiver on some packs and got the Kineticist, wow, what a character. Almost as good as the pull/reave Asari Adept from ME3. Going to try out some serious time into it over the weekend and next week, obviously splitting with Destiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,885 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Played a bit of it yesterday - only just after landing on EOS.

I'm enjoying it - but the graphics and animations are disappointing. They are below the 360 versions imo, which I have been playing recently. Miranda is better designed and animated than anyone in ME:A.

On the other hand the animations and graphics when exploring are good, imo. The environments look great.

Trying to look past the character models and animations and enjoy the game for the gameplay. So far i'm succeeding and enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Played a bit of it yesterday - only just after landing on EOS.

I'm enjoying it - but the graphics and animations are disappointing. They are below the 360 versions imo, which I have been playing recently. Miranda is better designed and animated than anyone in ME:A.

On the other hand the animations and graphics when exploring are good, imo. The environments look great.

Trying to look past the character models and animations and enjoy the game for the gameplay. So far i'm succeeding and enjoying it.

Yeah but they had a well daycent model for Miranda :D

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Im enjoying it so far,i use a preset for my Ryder and the facial animations are fine,just after the tutorial planet and have reached the nexus,and have been sent a **** load of stuff to read up on.. want to continue to Eos but i feel i should probably read some of the background stuff,i imagine it will come in handy at least for immersion purposes.. The one real gripe i have with it are the the quest markers on the compass.. truly awful (like Witcher 3 never happened) i hope they patch that along with the clunky menus in general..

Combat is great though.. and im enjoying the conversations etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

bigphil2 wrote: »
    Im enjoying it so far,i use a preset for my Ryder and the facial animations are fine,just after the tutorial planet and have reached the nexus,and have been sent a **** load of stuff to read up on.. want to continue to Eos but i feel i should probably read some of the background stuff,i imagine it will come in handy at least for immersion purposes.. The one real gripe i have with it are the the quest markers on the compass.. truly awful (like Witcher 3 never happened) i hope they patch that along with the clunky menus in general..

Combat is great though.. and im enjoying the conversations etc..

I prefer not having a dotted line towards the objective, it broke my immersion into Witcher 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Really enjoying it so far. Couldn't seem to make a white Ryder so went with default Scott. Just exploring the Nexus, getting my bearings at the moment. Started up MP just to see what packs I had. My Deluxe pack opened an Ultra Rare Krogan Gladiator and serious sniper. Not sure whether to start playing it or crack on with the story more first.

Great talking to Tann, can't help but picture Dinesh from Silicon Valley.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Still haven't gotten to start it yet. Is MP necessary to progress. I'm really crap at MP and for ME3 I had problems joining games which really took away for ME3 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

Made the mistake of pre-ordering off Amazon in January, they still haven't even sent it yet :/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

wyrn wrote: »
    Still haven't gotten to start it yet. Is MP necessary to progress. I'm really crap at MP and for ME3 I had problems joining games which really took away for ME3 for me.

Its not necessary too progress the story.

• Advertisement

Just popping in - I'm about .. maybe 2 hours in and I'm loving it so far.

What is excellent - the game really rewards you for exploration.
    On Habit 7, I discovered a tree that had somehow survived whatever is happening. When you find your father shortly afterwards, you can mention this and he reacts. I like that they had built it in this way
    . And
    On the ship, before reaching the planet, you can find a pad that shows you a series of logs. The logs indicate that contact was lost with the other Arks. This is before you find out from the story.

Anyway-- checking out again until I've played enough to sufficiently pop back in.

Advertisement