Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ovulation prediction system

Options
  • 07-11-2013 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭

Mods please move to a different forum if you feel appropriate. I'm not sure if this is a parenting question, or a trying to conceive question, but it's definitely a question that women could help me with.

I want to know if any women could advise if fertility monitors / ovulation kits can be used for contraceptive purposes?

I would prefer not to get pregnant now, but if I did then it would be okay. This is because my husband and I would like to proactively "try" for another baby next year (we already have children).

I don't want to use hormone contraception like the pill and we love the freedom of not using condoms - as I said, getting pregnant now would be fine, although preferably next year would be better.

I remember from trying to get pregnant on my first that there were these big fertility monitor things for sale in Boots. Got pregnant after using the sticks so didn't need one in the end.

I don't know anything about chatting or taking temperatures - it seems like a lot of work?

My health is fine, age is fine, a pregnancy "ahead of schedule" is fine, but would prefer it next year.

TL; DR
    Want to avoid pregnancy for 6 months, then want to try to get pregnant. Can fertility monitors / ovulation prediction work both ways? Don't want to use condoms or pill.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Hmmm I'm not sure tbh, sperm can survive for 3-5 days so you'd want to be very sure you weren't about to ovulate any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Hi OP :)

I think you'll get better answers here in the Trying to Conceive forum. Please be aware that their charter now applies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Yes of course the good old Billings method, the family plan of choice for Irishwomen for generations! (well choice is the wrong word, it was the only method if contraception sanctioned by the catholic church). Google 'Billings method' or 'rhythm method' . I know my mother did this, basically it's the same knicker watch that ttc'rs do- looking out for changes in cervical mucus , and taking your temperature every morning. I'm sure there are charts you could download from the net or buy. And now you can use cheap opks from Amazon or in health as well to know when to avoid sex

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

OP, you'd be mad to not use any protection if you want to wait at least six months to have a baby. An ovulation predictor is not going to help you to avoid getting pregnant. Until you know your cycle which will take a few cycles of charting, monitoring, etc then you can't really say which are your non-baby making days.... Since sperm obviously survive for a few days and then you may ovulate a day later, you can't really use it as protection. Invest in a Clear Blue fertility monitor - don't buy it in a shop, get it direct off Amazon UK - it's half price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

Do not use rhythm method this is not a reliable form of contraception. Billings method is differnt and used correctly is very effective. Also google natural family planning. You can do courses which will teach you how to use these methods properly. Yes at the start it is some work but it is worth it. I've been using these methods for years now, have 1 planned baby :)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I think Clearblue have an ovulation predictor monitor that is pricy but you might be able to get one second hand. Presumably then when you get your smiley face on the monitor you take appropriate steps to avoid risky times. Haven't used it myself but I heard its good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

there are apps you can use to help chart your ccycle, temperature, cervical mucus etc, which tell you when to avoid sex - I use Ovuview

Advertisement