Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unison email - forwarding rule

Options
  • 08-11-2013 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I'm in a similar situation with the other users in the closed post on unison email.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057076660
    Basically the email server appears to be dead. Find it hard to believe that there was no raid solution across multiple disks.

My question is : apart from the issue about getting at old data, is it possible for <snip> to put in place a rule whereby any new emails can be redirected to a different email address ?

I too seriously doubt that I was sent an email informing me that support was being removed.

Thanks,
    Gijoo

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

This is the final warning. Please do not mention hosting providers as this has caused problems for boards in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭gijoo

Yoyo - Point taken, appologies....

So my question was : when a server has died, can the new ISP/provider who currently host my old email address, set a mail redirection rule whereby anyone still emailing my old address will have that email forwarded/piped through to another gmail email address ? is this technically possible, or if the server is dead does that mean that my email is dead (end of) ?

Thanks.
    Gijoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

gijoo wrote: »
    Yoyo - Point taken, appologies....

So my question was : when a server has died, can the new ISP/provider who currently host my old email address, set a mail redirection rule whereby anyone still emailing my old address will have that email forwarded/piped through to another gmail email address ? is this technically possible, or if the server is dead does that mean that my email is dead (end of) ?

Thanks.
    Gijoo.

Not quite but i think i understand what you are hoping for. A new provider will have no ability to redirect any traffic from a domain they don't have access to.

Now, its only DNS, an up and running email server to accept and forward the source mails and a receptive email server at the other end of things (there are a few variants of this but yeah... that would do it), the DNS being fairly critical as it is what will direct yourmail@domain.ie to your new provider.

However from my reading of the other thread it looks like the company aren't interested in keeping it going. There didn't appear to be any value in it for them. They stopped supporting it - what 6 years ago, and now that the thing has finally died I would guess that they have a strategic interest in not resurrecting the remains of it and putting it back into use.

Only other plan would be if they were to (and at a guess I’d be saying some chance of this) provide you or a representative body of previous users with ownership/or permanent access to the domain. With a little technical know how, and resource at your disposal you could plumb it into a new ISP, with any ongoing users presumably paying for their account - or as a variant of this, is for a third-party to take over the email hosting - again, pretty pointing of the DNS to third-party server would do it.

There are probably a whole lot of legal difficulties in the above with the potential for people's accounts to be discovered/compromised by an unscrupulous new provider or their staff and possible mis representation of users of the original email service on other services which they registered with - not to mention kick back (search interweb for yahoo mail recycling email accounts).

I dunno but I had all but forgot about the domain in question so as a brand I don't expect that there'd be much value for the owners but they'd know better. I wonder how much value the current incumbent operator has in it.

If there were enough interest, perhaps they'd let it go or sell it to you, or pipe the mail DNS to something that you'd have ownership of (they'd still have control).

*shudders* Tis terribly messy all the same. I think the nub of it may be that the owners appear to have zero interest in keeping it going.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If the server has indeed failed and there's no means to bring it back online, without extensive work, there's little possibility that any account info is going to be retrievable. This does not merely mean the content of your inbox, but also the very existence of your e-mail address is likely to be unavailable to be re-directed.

Advertisement