Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off season workout; -look at those gainz :p

Options
  • 08-11-2013 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

My original motivation for this program is a bit weird, I wanted to be pound for pound the strongest on my hurling team. Achieved this after 8 weeks of principia workout. New motivation is get through an 12 week madcow program.

First part of the off season workout was 8weeks or 2cycles of principia offseason workout.
    End results pbs; bench 100kg [+ 20kg,] dead lift 190kg [+40kg] and squat 150kg by 3 +30kg (didn't set a 1rm new record in the second cycle because i got injured dead leg.) bodyweight +2kg up to 84kg. Shocking how well this program went. I hope the next part goes as well.

I'm moving on to the madcow workout, for ~12 weeks. This program is a very straight forward program, linear progressions, week on week. I'll have to take it seriously and eat and sleep right for it. There's only 5 excercises in the program; squat, dead lift, bench press, military press and rows.

I'm doing supplementary upper body excercises; 2 sets of 8 weighted pullups and 1 set of weighted chinups on mon and fri, and 3 sets of weighted dips on wednesday.

Doing more pullups than chinups or dips per week, just to improve my weaker points.

Also doing going to try 2 sets of pistol squats on mon, wed, fri, with 2 sets of straight leg deadlifts on mon and fri. and 1 set of hamstring curls and 1 set of leg curls on wednesday.

-pistol squats for flexibilty and fun , sl dl as a stretch and legcurls and hamcurls for injury prevention, dislocated my kneecap in 2012, want to build up my vmo muscle a bit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭fat and slow

First week of madcow over. Went ok, happy enough with it, did the program as suggested. Workouts are taking about 50mins.

No new pbs in squats, bench or deadlifts.
    Realised I can only do proper pistol squats on my right leg, so I'm only squating down to a low bench on my left leg.
    Did 3 sets of 8 pullups with 8kg.

I have a better idea what the workouts are like now so next week should be easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

First week of madcow over. Went ok, happy enough with it, did the program as suggested. Workouts are taking about 50mins.

No new pbs in squats, bench or deadlifts.
    Realised I can only do proper pistol squats on my right leg, so I'm only squating down to a low bench on my left leg.
    Did 3 sets of 8 pullups with 8kg.

I have a better idea what the workouts are like now so next week should be easier.

You're not pistol squatting properly on one leg because you're not mobile enough.

yeah your right, but i'm working on it.

Walked 12km on a charity walk around howth on sunday.

mad cow today; 5 sets of 5 starting at 50% of the heaviest weights, building up to the heaviest weights of 135, 85 and 57.5 for squat bench and row respectively.

auxiliary stuff; 3 sets of 8 weighted pullups with 10kg.

3 sets of 8 pistol squats holding a 2.5kg weight, right leg.
    3 sets of 8 pistol squats to a low bench with left leg.

5 reps for everything
    squat 60 80 100 100,
    military press 40, 40,50,55,
    dead lift 100,122.5,142.5,162.5
    dips, 3x8 with 15kg.

stuff on my pre Christmas to do list; 3 sets of 8 with 20kg for pull ups
    3 sets of 8 with 35kg for dips.
    1 muscle up, and 1 pistol squat with left leg.

• Advertisement

Fun fact; people with equally developed chest and triceps, can bench 80-85% of their max weighted dip weight.
    My max total weighted dip was 125kg (85kg bw and 40kg dumbbell). My max bench press is 100kg, exactly 80% of my weighted dip.

I would like to eventually bench 120kg. thus for this to happen I'd have to be able to do a weighted dip of 145kg. so i'd have to have my bodyweight and an additional 60kg for my 1 rep max.
    Plan is to increase by my weighted dip set of 8 by 5kg nearly every week. 20-25-30-30-35-40-40-45-45-50

I want my axillary lifts to help me get better at my core lifts and to help me stay healthy and balanced.
    With this and the above in mind i'm tinkering with my auxiliary exercises again;

let me know what you think of the workout.

mon and fri; 5 by 5 of squat bench and row. 1 set of 8 pullups , dips and seated shoulder dumbbell press. [3 sets of 8 pistol squats or bulgarian squats, or lunges or side lunges whichever 1 I feel like]

wed 5 by 5 light squats, deadlift and military press, 1 set of 8 pullups , dips and incline dumbbell press. no auxiliary leg exercise on wednesdays and i will possibly replace light squats with front squats on this day as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 doug3932

My original motivation for this program is a bit weird, I wanted to be pound for pound the strongest on my hurling team. Achieved this after 8 weeks of principia workout. New motivation is get through an 12 week madcow program.

First part of the off season workout was 8weeks or 2cycles of principia offseason workout.
    End results pbs; bench 100kg [+ 20kg,] dead lift 190kg [+40kg] and squat 150kg by 3 +30kg (didn't set a 1rm new record in the second cycle because i got injured dead leg.) bodyweight +2kg up to 84kg. Shocking how well this program went. I hope the next part goes as well.

I'm moving on to the madcow workout, for ~12 weeks. This program is a very straight forward program, linear progressions, week on week. I'll have to take it seriously and eat and sleep right for it. There's only 5 excercises in the program; squat, dead lift, bench press, military press and rows.

I'm doing supplementary upper body excercises; 2 sets of 8 weighted pullups and 1 set of weighted chinups on mon and fri, and 3 sets of weighted dips on wednesday.

Doing more pullups than chinups or dips per week, just to improve my weaker points.

Also doing going to try 2 sets of pistol squats on mon, wed, fri, with 2 sets of straight leg deadlifts on mon and fri. and 1 set of hamstring curls and 1 set of leg curls on wednesday.

-pistol squats for flexibilty and fun , sl dl as a stretch and legcurls and hamcurls for injury prevention, dislocated my kneecap in 2012, want to build up my vmo muscle a bit.

Sounds a like a great workout! Keep working! Goodluck.

squat 5x (70 85 102.5 102.5)
    military press 5x ( 35 40 47.5 55)
    deadlift 5x (100 125 145 165)
    dips 8X20kg
    pullups 9 X12.5kg
    seated dumbell shoulder press 8 x30kg

my right shoulder was sore on monday, anterior deltoid. Doing ytwl raises and front raises with a 2.5kg dumbell this week and i'm also doing rotator cuff rotations. I'll see if I can work through it. today it wasn't as sore. At least I know what it is now. On fri i'll stop the bench as soon as it gets sore.

madcow week 3 day 3.

squats 5x (70 85 100 120) 3 x 140 and 8x 100
    bench 5x (50 55 65 80 ) 3 x 90 and 8x 65
    squats 5x (40 40 45 55) 3 x 60 and 8x 50

shoulder wasn't perfect today but it felt better than last monday. I think the ytwl, raises , rotations and retraction / shrugs are working i'll keep on them indefinitely.

Auxillary stuff;
    pullups 8 with 15kg, dipps 9 with 20kg, ytwl stuff with 5kg. 8 pistol squats from bench height with right leg, and 8 with left to low bench.

I was giving away a spare pullup bar to a friend, so I did a pullup demo,
    it's the first time in 4 weeks that i've done bodyweight pullups, they felt easy.

next week get to do some pbs on main lifts. pullups with 17.5kg, dips with 25kg
    ordered bcaa from myprotein, meant to help protein synthesis and recovery, used Alf V's homemade recipie 4:1:1:1 . There was 20% off today so got 1750 grams for 66 euro. works out at less than 30 cents per 10g serving. even for a placebo effect it's worth it.

madcow week4 day 1.
    squats 5x (60 80 100 120 145)

entered a dipp contest in the gym for kinectica products, did 34 terrible dips in 30 seconds.

bench 5x ( 50, 60, 70 80, 90~ failed after 4, the 5th was assisted)

rows 5x ( 40,40,45,50,60)

pullups 7 with 17.5kg,
    seated dumbbell shoulder press 8 x 35kg,
    ytwl with 5kgs.
    tricep and biceps X8 on cable machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Did you win the dips? :pac:

no! and i was cheating and doing terrible reps as well, cos i saw one lad got 38 and i knew i had to cheat to do well. I think i got 4th, the guy i trained with ( strongest guy on the hurling team got 37) some other person got 35.

I think doing the dips before the bench resulted in me missing reps on the last set. The guy i trained with only got 1 on his last set.

week 4 day 2 -mad cow
    squat 5x (70 90 110 110)
    press 5x ( 40 45 52.5 60~ only did 4, was meant to do 57.5kg)
    deadlift 5x (120 120 145 170) - always going to start with 120 it's easier to just put on two 25kg plates either side at the start. training partner is running out of bar space.

pull ups 8x (17.5kg)
    dips 8x (25kg)
    shoulder press (8x 35kg)
    bench press dumbells 8x40kg
    ytwl and flys 5kg
    cable machine 2 x5 for biceps and triceps

madcow week5 day 1.
    squats 5x (70 85 105 130 150)

bench 5x ( 50, 60, 70 80, 90)

rows 5x ( 50,50,50,55,60)

pullups 6 with 20kg,
    dips 8 with 30kg,
    seated dumbbell shoulder press 8 x 40kg,
    ytwl with 5kgs.
    tricep and biceps X5 on cable machine.
    lunges and side lunges with 20kg on olympic bar. 2 sets.

week 5 day 2 -mad cow
    front squat 50kg, overhead squat bar, single leg squat 50kg, ATG squat 65kg.
    press 5x ( 40 45 52.5 60)
    deadlift 5x (120 125 150 175) - forgot chalk, last was more 3 singles, chalk helps a lot.

pull ups 7x (20kg)
    dips 9x (30kg)
    incline bench press dumbells 8x45kg
    flys 5kg
    cable machine 5 for biceps and triceps

week 6, highlights
    bench press 3x 95 and 5x92.5
    deadlift 5x 177.5
    squat 3x157.5kg and 5x 152.5

completed some of my pre-christmas wishlist a week early. Ho-Ho-Ho merry xmas.
    weighted dips 8 with 35kg.
    pull ups 8 with 20kg.
    haven't tried a muscle up. pistol squat on left leg is terrible.

Advertisement