Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dilemma after dismissal

Options
  • 08-11-2013 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I worked in financial services for 4 years and was very good at my role. 7 months ago I left to take a job as a sales/marketing executive. 5 months into the role I was dismissed when 2 projects I was responsible for went pear shaped due to wrong decisions I made and I missed a number of important deadlines. A lot of this was due to me not being familiar with the sector I was working in and the role not being what I had expected it to be. I have since found work in telesales which I hate and had to lie about being fired to get this role. My problem is that there will be a number of new openings with my previous company in January due to expansion and I would love to return there , but my previous manager is aware of my dismissal in my last job so i'm not sure if this will deter him from rehiring me or will he judge me on my performance under him for the four years I worked in financial services. can any managers out there tell me what you would do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

A lot of this was due to me not being familiar with the sector I was working in

Surely your previous manager will understand that you were working in a sector not familiar to you and not hold it against you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

tigerpink wrote: »
    I worked in financial services for 4 years and was very good at my role. 7 months ago I left to take a job as a sales/marketing executive. 5 months into the role I was dismissed when 2 projects I was responsible for went pear shaped due to wrong decisions I made and I missed a number of important deadlines. A lot of this was due to me not being familiar with the sector I was working in and the role not being what I had expected it to be. I have since found work in telesales which I hate and had to lie about being fired to get this role. My problem is that there will be a number of new openings with my previous company in January due to expansion and I would love to return there , but my previous manager is aware of my dismissal in my last job so i'm not sure if this will deter him from rehiring me or will he judge me on my performance under him for the four years I worked in financial services. can any managers out there tell me what you would do?

You come across as someone very honest. I think you should continue to be upfront with your former manager. If you were a good employee then s/he'll most likely be looking for an excuse to take you back on.

You'll need to put his/her mind at rest as to why you left the first time. The burning question in their mind is will you leave again. They wont worry about your performance in the other company.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

What have you got to lose by asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

How did u get a job as a sales and marketing exec with no experience in a similar role!?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tigerpink

Devil08 wrote: »
    How did u get a job as a sales and marketing exec with no experience in a similar role!?

I got the job as I have a diploma in pr/ marketing and had sales experience in as part if my previous role but a different approach and role altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

How well did you get on with the previous manager. I'd ring him and ask him directly if you had a good working relationship. If he feels you would be a good fit for the roles available then I am sure he would be delighted to welcome someone back who already knows how things work in the organisation and would hit the ground running without all the usual time it takes for a new hire to learn the ropes. If you don't ask you won't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

tigerpink wrote: »
    Hold your head up high and go for it, you made a mistake, not comitted a crime..
    Worst case scenario you won't get the job, but at least you'll know you tried.

I think it would be worse to start avoiding situations/opportuities because of the mistakes you've made, this will just snowball and rather than putting it behind you you'll be living your life around it...every day.

Go for it, be honest in the interview, don't blag or bluff it. I've always appreciated honest candidates that talk to you rather than at the floor or out the window and try to talk around things..

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

I'd be upfront and honest with your employer, what you learned from your mistake and how you would approach it differently before making a decision

Advertisement