Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get Microsoft Office for free (Post-Graduate Student)

• 08-11-2013 2:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi All

if anyone has an idea about getting Microsoft Office for free. I am a Post-Graduate Student in the UL.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

Not unless your college has an agreement with Microsoft to provide office via office 365 or via dreamspark

• Registered Users Posts: 11 in love

TheBoffin wrote: »
    Not unless your college has an agreement with Microsoft to provide office via office 365 or via dreamspark

I study law, I really don't know whether the law department has an agreement or not. Thanks for your response.

Try Dreamspark, It will tell you during the registration if your college has an agreement.

Note: The offerings on dreamspark differ and I am almost sure that office only appears where the college has an office 365 plan in place. Worth a try however, lots of nice freebies on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 in love

TheBoffin wrote: »
    Try Dreamspark, It will tell you during the registration if your college has an agreement.

thanks a lot. it seems that the UL is not enrolled in DreamSpark:mad: I found DCU and UCC and other universities. UL, where are you :(

I was in WIT a long time ago, they were enrolled. I now get my stuff via MS partner account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

The college does have a licence, however it is for UL computers only (the library, research pc's).

Your best bet would be to talk to your head of department and ask them if you can use the UL copy/their department copy on your computer.

The college does have a licence, however it is for UL computers only (the library, research pc's).

Your best bet would be to talk to your head of department and ask them if you can use the UL copy/their department copy on your computer.

This would be a No-Go as it would violate the Microsoft Academic Volume License Agreement. The license I was referring to earlier was the office 365 license which might exist if the Uni uses one of the higher Academic Plans for office 365, the A2 plan (i think) offers both exchange email, MS Lync, and Office Apps per user.

I happened to be talking to one of my Licensing partners today who mentioned they have a €29.99 deal for Office for students on their site - They are Micromail based in Cork, and a pleasure to deal with, however you must have a student ID card to obtain deals for students.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

A copy from software4students is only €24.95.

The college doesn't offer office 365 that I know of to students but they do have a copy for each pc in UL which as far as I'm aware, covers a copy for post-graduate researchers. The copy only works for 21 days when it isn't connected to the UL campus.

The copy only works for 21 days when it isn't connected to the UL campus

Yea that makes sense. I would expect the licensing is held on a KMS in the UNI, where the KMS is not present (i.e. laptop not connected to the network) the copy of office will default back to trial version.

Advertisement