Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RCD tripping for iron, laptop

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

zom wrote: »
    Just if I can have some similar question - room of 10 old PC's (office). RCD tripping every first working day after weekend or longer break. I have to disconnect half of machines and let another half work for few hours - then I can connect the others and everything works fine. I checked RCD, cables, wiring - no fix. I am about to check all power supplies (PCs and screens) but maybe someone have better idea?

too many pc's on rcd
    recommended is about 4-6
    cumulative leakage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

too many pc's on rcd
    recommended is about 4-6
    cumulative leakage

It would be easy if they trip RCD all the time but it only happen after few days of no use. I forgot to mention - they trip it while not working - just connected to mains. I have to physically disconnect half of them and after few hours connect back.
    I suspect some damp somewhere but not sure in PCs or in power wiring (walls)? Any thoughts?

test rcd and final circuit
    if nothing shows
    balance pc's over 2 rcd/rcbo

you can test all the iec leads for damp by leaving them plugged in to wall and disconnected from pc/monitor while testing circuit

can't think of much else unless you've narrowed it down to a faulty pc

it might be worth replacing rcd if it's old
    and is there anything else on circuit except office?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

too many pc's on rcd
    recommended is about 4-6
    cumulative leakage

Agreed, a few circuits fed by RCBOs would be preferable.

Surge protection devices have also been known to contribute to this problem.

There is some interesting suggestions made by ABB here:

http://www05.abb.com/global/scot/scot209.nsf/veritydisplay/7115a45a1e2da408c1256cbc0054f193/$file/2csc421002b0201.pdf

From page 3:
    To obtain continuity of service for priority circuits and, at the same time, protect the loads and installations from transient overvoltage peaks, we recommend combining the AP range of RCCBs and RCD blocks with OVR surge protective devices (SPD)."

It should also be noted that it is permitted to install IT equipment (such as PCs) from non standard type sockets fed from circuits that do not have RCD protection. Here is an example of a non standart socket with a "T" section earth pin. Needless to say that other standad type general services/cleaners sockets with RCD/RCBO should also be provided if this option is used. K1246WHI.jpg

yes, a few good points there

the SPDs can be a problem with tripping might be worth testing without them

it is permissible to omit rcd if sockets are not for general use

i'm not sure that the AP rcds are specifically designed for this issue although simply replacing the rcd may cure it

prob just simply splitting the pcs will cure it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Some places actually use RCD-sockets like you'll see them in M&S and on Irish Rail trains quite a lot.

This still provides you with RCD coverage, but won't trip the whole circuit, just that one local socket.

I think kitchen and utility room circuits should be on RCBOs at least.

Kettles, irons, coffee machines, dishwashers and occasionally laundry appliances are the most likely RCD-tripping culprits due to their relationship with water!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

I bet i know whats happening here!

Your pulling the sockets when you pull the plug on the Iron or the Charger for laptop. The Microwave i bet never gets unplugged and one of the connections to the rear of the socket is loose. Did the electrician check all your sockets by removing them and checking that all connections are secure at the back? when you push and pull plugs in and out they can loosen connections at the back of the socket, it could be the socket needing replacing too it may be faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

2011 wrote: »
    Occasionally RCD's have been know to fail (sometimes they are over sensitive).

Correct. I am a Maintenance Officer in an Aged Care Residence and we have hundreds of RCDs.

I have to deal with issues like this daily.
    I deal with our electrician about these such matters and you're right. When a RCD trips, or continually trips it 'wears out' and becomes too sensative.

We have had to replace a few RCDs as for example, an old bainmarie used to constantly trip has been replaced with a new one but still trips the circuit. The new piece of equipment is perfect and not overloading the circuit but the RCD is defective and had to be changed.

Advertisement