Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Airport

Options
  • 08-11-2013 8:59am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭

It is with great sadness that the full and total closure of Galway Airport has been announced .
    I had hoped for greater things for the place , I had so many ideas of my own that were just not entertained by the vested interests ,
    Just think of what tourist traffic would have been generated by the setting up of the National Air Museum there ,
    All of the so called other aircraft museums that are scattered all over the place could have been set up there .
    Most importantly the Air Corps Museum which the Public have no access to should have rightly been set up here in Galway . I have made several representations to the powers that be in the Don to have it transferred here , I offered my services as an aviation expert to them for a much reduced fee for the first year in order to get the thing off the ground ,
    Moreover it would have been a centre for all aviation related activities ,
    We would have even have had a real working control tower in order for our group to act out our fantasy simulator flights ,

Very shortsighted actions again by those who think they Know better .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Sorry indeed to hear that news. Sadly, this and too many other aspirations are being trodden into dust in the RoI these days it seems to me.

The location, in what is surely one of the most beautiful parts of Ireland, would have guaranteed a prolific passing trade from tourism.

Best of luck to you, and don't give up on the dreaming, it's what makes the Irish different to most everybody else in these 'dont care' days.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Shannon:1 Hours drive away..
    Knock: 1 Hours drive away..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭hopperdavy

By the same logic , Galway city 10 mins away ,

We understand that the new road and the removal of subsidies were the combining factors in the demise of the Airport as an Airport .
    My strive is for the establishment of the National Aviation Museum there , especially all the aviation items that are in Casement that the public have no access to.
    I am now going to campaign at highest political level to get all these items moved to Galway , I have the backing of a number of senior people as it is .
    My skills as an aviation expert , journalist , photographer , ex military person would be far superior to any that would be encountered in any normal museum .
    My ambition would be to make this area a Mecca for all aviation related memorabilia ,
    All donations of equipment and surplus aircraft would be most welcome .

Why do I bother, Really?

Anyone with any equipment , aircraft bitsnbobs , photos , books , etc please PM me and we can arrange collection .. Dave,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Shannon:1 Hours drive away..
    Knock: 1 Hours drive away..

Hopperdavy: -10

hopperdavy wrote: »
    Anyone with any equipment , aircraft bitsnbobs , photos , books , etc please PM me and we can arrange collection .. Dave,

I have an unexploded, but fired sneb rocket that you are welcome to.

I also have some fired rounds from an A10 that I recovered from their Humber estuary range.
    They are Depleted uranium, and still warm even after 20 years...

:rolleyes:

Super , thats what we need now , a bit of positive thinking , its only a start but things are defo on the up .

This project will fill the huge void that was left since the demise of the Salthill Air Show a number of years ago .

You never know lads , ya never know , The silence of Galway Bay could once again be broken by the sound of supersonic jets .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Where you gonna store all this stuff ? That fake unmarked garda car of yours is gonna fill up pretty fast.

This thread is deserving of another forum methinks

The poster is deserving of another forum..

• Advertisement

Hang on guys this is no laughing matter , my dedication to Galway airport in renowned in aviation circles , my military background is beyond reproach , give me a bit of credit here for the PR job that im doing ,

Do ye really think I want to spend the rest of my life taking pictures of helis as they come in to land at UCHG , I have found a new me , a new dream job,
    I will be the envy of all aviation and military fans throughout Ireland, dont ye understand how important I am going to be , ye should respect me as I will have power and influence , more than I ever had before .

The Keyboard is mightier than the" Steyr ", In the field of aviation journalism I will be King

Jesus_facepalm.jpg

8d70fd89-6157-43d5-a222-aedb5c771bef.jpg

demotivational-posters-quadruple-facepalm.jpg

Etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

i think that with the right 'investment' you could be onto a winner here. If only you knew some sheiks, to get the shekels.

Thank you so much for your positive comment , I intend to start the campaign very shortly to raise the finance once I get the all the legal stuff cleared up .

I intend to demand a lot of exhibits be donated by the national museums and the for profit ones also , " Shannon " .

There is also the matter of the entire contents of the museum within the blue railings , things are progressing nicely on that front , as we have the approval of some of the most senior people in the DF

This will free up a hanger for the guys in Bal anyway , so everyones a WINNER .

There is also funding from the Lotto to be considered and also we will have staff from Fas and Jobridge available to run the joint anyway .

I have had detailed discussions with a lot of my pals in the aviation, sim, photographers and spotters clubs , and we will have a full team ready to go at a moments notice .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Dont forget Dragons Den. It this kind of realism and drive they are looking for

Didnt even bother thinking of that crowd , they would only be looking for most of the credit , most of the profits and all of the photo opportunities .

Far better to wing it on our own ,if it fails , it fails .

But if it flies ,its gona go hypersonic ,, dont need a crowd of hangers on around when that happens do we now .

We will have no problem with senior cabinet officials getting photo opps with us , After all we have to stay in with the guys who are giving us most of our inventory.
    Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Thank you so much for your positive comment , I intend to start the campaign very shortly to raise the finance once I get the all the legal stuff cleared up .

I intend to demand a lot of exhibits be donated by the national museums and the for profit ones also , " Shannon " .

There is also the matter of the entire contents of the museum within the blue railings , things are progressing nicely on that front , as we have the approval of some of the most senior people in the DF

This will free up a hanger for the guys in Bal anyway , so everyones a WINNER .

There is also funding from the Lotto to be considered and also we will have staff from Fas and Jobridge available to run the joint anyway .

I have had detailed discussions with a lot of my pals in the aviation, sim, photographers and spotters clubs , and we will have a full team ready to go at a moments notice .
    Fas is no more, jobsbridge is for interims to learn, develop and be mentored. Not for free staffing.

Your discounted fee for the first year stands out and detracts from what's happening. It appears your creating a cushy number for yourself here.

Sir are you in fact suggesting that I may feathering my own nest here ?

I have been an aviation expert, journalist , reporter , photographer , and news gatherer for years now ,,, I have also served my country in the FCA ,
    All of this has been done without State Pay , Pensions , Staff car , etc

I think I deserve some payback after the service that I have given over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

Hang on guys this is no laughing matter , my dedication to Galway airport in renowned in aviation circles , my military background is beyond reproach , give me a bit of credit here for the PR job that im doing ,

Do ye really think I want to spend the rest of my life taking pictures of helis as they come in to land at UCHG , I have found a new me , a new dream job,
    I will be the envy of all aviation and military fans throughout Ireland, dont ye understand how important I am going to be , ye should respect me as I will have power and influence , more than I ever had before .

The Keyboard is mightier than the" Steyr ", In the field of aviation journalism I will be King
    Can we please move this deluded muppet to walt PLEASE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭sparky42

I have been an aviation expert, journalist , reporter , photographer , and news gatherer for years now ,,, I have also served my country in the FCA ,

I think I deserve some payback after the service that I have given over the years.

I've got to ask after reading your posts, are you taking the mick?

• Advertisement

sparky42 wrote: »
    I've got to ask after reading your posts, are you taking the mick?

He's a well known rereg wind up merchant.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Yes I am, and the fact that you think you deserve payback confirms my point.

With regards your experience fair play to you, however to run a successful and non loss making venue/ attraction you need far more experience than you are claiming to have.

You may provide a wealth of information and knowledge however this may be of interest to anoraks who are far and few between. For a successful attraction you need more of a tourism/ marketing background.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭tippilot

He's not an aviation expert or a journalist or anything of the sort.

He's a highly delusional and has been frequently banned.

The only constant is the use of the name Dave. I could even tell you his full name(I won't). He'll be banned soon .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭sparky42

tippilot wrote: »

The only constant is the use of the name Dave. I could even tell you his full name(I won't). He'll be banned soon .

Ah right, I figured that there was something off considering some of the posts but that explains things better. Cheers.

tippilot wrote: »

I reckon there's at least 4 accounts out there belonging to him. 2 have been banned, even though one was most definitely a parody account.

Advertisement