Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath Spring Half Marathon 2014 (Bohermeen) - March 2nd

Options
  • 03-11-2013 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭

tang1 wrote: »
    The 2nd of March 2014 is next years date.

Lovely stuff. Was only thinking about this the other day as have a spring marathon and there is a lack of halfs around this time. Paced this last year and its a decent course.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Yeah, I'm in again and there's a gang from the club coming down

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Am in, next big race for me, and first of the "unfinished business" of 2014. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

PauloMN wrote: »
    Am in, next big race for me, and first of the "unfinished business" of 2014. :)

Same here

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Can't wait! Gonna smash last years time:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Yep, great race, and a nice 2* loop course. Also nice to finish on the track for the last 100m.

Will def be back next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭PippaChic

Can't wait! Gonna smash last years time:D
    Hi shortstuff, best of luck with that !
    I've had problems with a dodgy knee and back pain I've suspended running for the past week (instead the dog is being power walked every night!). I've still another 4 weeks to start practising so I'll see if I improve and then decide if I'm going to do it.
    If I do run it, I don't expect to improve much on my previous time. I'd love if Karen and Eimear are there again to pace us!

PippaChic wrote: »
    Hi shortstuff, best of luck with that !
    I've had problems with a dodgy knee and back pain I've suspended running for the past week (instead the dog is being power walked every night!). I've still another 4 weeks to start practising so I'll see if I improve and then decide if I'm going to do it.
    If I do run it, I don't expect to improve much on my previous time. I'd love if Karen and Eimear are there again to pace us!

Hope you get your injury sorted PippaChic... loads of time left to improve! They were great pacers alright:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

The 2014 race takes place on 2nd March.

Last year's thread
    Website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Done the 5k last year and enjoyed it. Going to go mad and do the half next year :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

My next long race, and as I said, unfinished business. Will be training properly for it this time. Last year I'd done basically no long runs, this year I've done plenty so won't be blowing up at 10 miles hopefully!!

01:58 in this last year, and 01:57 to beat from the Dublin half (which I took very conservatively due to the heat and upcoming marathon). Want 01:55 or lower, would prefer closer to 01:50 though.

Decent race, good crowd and well organised - my only gripe (and it's a personal one) is that I don't like two lap courses. Aside from that, it's great!

Can't remember if there was pacers at this last year, anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

My next long race, and as I said, unfinished business. Will be training properly for it this time. Last year I'd done basically no long runs, this year I've done plenty so won't be blowing up at 10 miles hopefully!!

01:58 in this last year, and 01:57 to beat from the Dublin half (which I took very conservatively due to the heat and upcoming marathon). Want 01:55 or lower, would prefer closer to 01:50 though.

Decent race, good crowd and well organised - my only gripe (and it's a personal one) is that I don't like two lap courses. Aside from that, it's great!

I know TRR paced 1:30 last year so assume there are

Every 15mins up to 2:15, not sure what time the first pacer was though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Every 15mins up to 2:15, not sure what time the first pacer was though

1:30...

They've changed the course slightly
    http://www.runningmap.com/?id=641747

It's an improvement, at least on paper. We start by running away from the race HQ, so any late arrivals (who may or may not be pacers ;) ) join the race at the back. The race doesn't have to be delayed because people are still coming down from the HQ on the route itself. After a few miles we join up with the course used last year.

Does that mean the horrible hill is downhill on both laps now? Looks that way to me on the map - unless I'm reading it wrong (which is entirely possible).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

RayCun wrote: »
    They've changed the course slightly
    http://www.runningmap.com/?id=641747

It's an improvement, at least on paper. We start by running away from the race HQ, so any late arrivals (who may or may not be pacers ;) ) join the race at the back. The race doesn't have to be delayed because people are still coming down from the HQ on the route itself. After a few miles we join up with the course used last year.

It's basically the same loop in reverse from last year and then on the 2nd lap you turn off between 10 & 11 miles (I think this is part of their 5K loop) to meet up with the old run to the finish.

Means that main hill will now be downhill twice but probably will result in some drags elsewhere?

The numbering on the map is very confusing, from the start you hit 13, 12, 11, 10... rather than counting up from 1. So the course is still mainly counter-clockwise, we still cross the motorway twice towards the end of each lap, and we still finish with a long straight downhill before turning in to the track.

Unless I've completely misinterpreted it :)

There's a little rollover message on the start line pin
    Race start - miles marked on map in reverse. Race start will fill from back. Go left to right as you view map taking first right before completing 1 2/3 loops
    and if you roll over the base of the pin it says 13.1. So you go from 13.1 to 13, to 12, to 11... We join last year's course after about 2.5 miles, and from there on it's exactly the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

There's a little rollover message on the start line pin

and if you roll over the base of the pin it says 13.1. So you go from 13.1 to 13, to 12, to 11... We join last year's course after about 2.5 miles, and from there on it's exactly the same.

A unique way of mapping the course to say the least :rolleyes:

Looks like the change won't make much difference so and breaks up the 2 laps a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

Just signed up, really looking forward to this. Nice course and great setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭morceli

Think i will have to target this one now, need to get my act together.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

Just entered this.

Anyone else fancy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Walsht

Waiting on confirmation of Pacers but should be the same as last year, will update you next week after meeting.

Damn ankle, I'm out of this one. Will be the 10k if anything for me.

Shame, was hoping for a good improvement over last year. Suppose there's plenty of other races to do in the coming months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

anyone from this parish going to volunteer for the 1.30 pacer slot to hold my hand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

statss wrote: »
    anyone from this parish going to volunteer for the 1.30 pacer slot to hold my hand?

you've a tough act to follow. There was only one 90 minute pacer last year and from what I've heard he was a legend!

I believe this year they're looking for someone who can read a clock :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

I meant to hold my hand as in help me get over the line in 1.30. I recall last year's fiasco, a punctual 1.30 pacer would be preferable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

I believe this year they're looking for someone who can read a clock :)
    I meant to hold my hand as in help me get over the line in 1.30. I recall last year's fiasco, a punctual 1.30 pacer would be preferable.

I was on time you bastards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Ecoli might do it - but you'll probably miss the target by 15 seconds. :D:D

I'll get my coat before I'm banned..:o

Advertisement