Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hot water issue and no heat from radiator problem after boiler service

• 08-11-2013 12:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭

Hoping someone can help out here.

I recently got my Gas Boiler serviced but immediately after the service, I noticed that 4 of the radiators downstairs were no longer working. I tried all the usual remedies i.e. re-balancing radiators, bleeding to release airlocks, switch all radiators off except the ones that were not working etc... but none of these worked. Then I remembered the service boiler engineer asked to see my hotpress. He then fiddled with some airlock thingy (heard some hiss when he released) and also turned one of my valves pictured in the two attachments. He asked me if I knew what valve this was for? Of course I had no idea, I mean he's the engineer! Anyway, I'm pretty sure he turned one of the valves (he left it in the half way position between open and close) and suspected that might have caused the issue with the rads. Anyway, I tried turning the valve flush with the piping as that's what the other two valves looked like in the hotpress but rads still not working. Then I turned the opposite direction (now in a T position, see attached photo) and the rads started to work downstairs. I did hear some rush of water when I turned the valve. So happy as Larry, I thought issue was resolved, however after this morning, I discovered I had no hot water from either the kitchen or bathroom taps! :(

Anyone any idea what is wrong? Btw, I tried putting that valve into the half way position again - but rads don't work but I do get hot water.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thx

hotpressvalves.zip

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

when the valve is closed (as shown in the picture its only heating your hotwater),
    when its open it should be doing both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

rightjob! wrote: »
    when the valve is closed (as shown in the picture its only heating your hotwater),
    when its open it should be doing both

So I'm actually getting the opposite right now i.e. getting great heat in all the rads but no hot water. I still think you're right, the valve should be in the open position and not closed. I'll experiment again tomorrow. Perhaps in the open position, there is not enough pressure to get the hot water flowing to all the rads downstairs? What bugs me is that it was working fine until the service. Thx for the advice so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

put up a picture of the rest of the valves in your hotpress

plumbing.zip

Here's the photos of the other valves.

I have not touched any of the other valves. They appear to be open.

Tried again with the valve open and get hot water but 3 of the Rads downstairs remain stone cold. Tried all the usual techniques to get them on again but no heat is getting into the piping unless I close the valve. Once closed, the Rads heat up very quickly and hot to touch...just no hot water! So frustrating. May need to bring a plumber in, just no idea what's wrong :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

this doesnt sound like its related to your service, the boiler is still working.
    You said he asked to see your hotpress, one of the images is staring down on what looks like an air bleed, from what you say Id be wary of bleeding the system yourself as you could be depressurising it if you aren't refilling it.

Rads downstairs only problem? sounds like your zone valve for that zone isnt working, or maybe the thermostat for that zone is turned down low or something related to it.

I can see why he didnt bother saying about the valve, if you have zone valves, its kind of redundant to mention it and might cause confusion. Cant really tell whats what but it looks like the lever valve you are pointing at is on the other side to the zone valves, where they put in at a later date?

Do you have thermostats up and downstairs?

I presume you want hot water and heating, if that lever valve supplies the zone valves which supply up and downstairs heating, then Id leave it open(inline), carefully feel the input and output pipes of the zone valves (Im assuming you have a zone up and downstairs? how many thermostats?) if one heating zone is warm and the other cold and one zone valve is hot in and out and the other is just hot or maybe even only warm coming to the input, but colder at the output then its probably a zone valve.

Id consult a plumber if you are unfamiliar

cerastes wrote: »
    this doesnt sound like its related to your service, the boiler is still working.
    You said he asked to see your hotpress, one of the images is staring down on what looks like an air bleed, from what you say Id be wary of bleeding the system yourself as you could be depressurising it if you aren't refilling it.

Rads downstairs only problem? sounds like your zone valve for that zone isnt working, or maybe the thermostat for that zone is turned down low or something related to it.

I can see why he didnt bother saying about the valve, if you have zone valves, its kind of redundant to mention it and might cause confusion. Cant really tell whats what but it looks like the lever valve you are pointing at is on the other side to the zone valves, where they put in at a later date?

Do you have thermostats up and downstairs?

I presume you want hot water and heating, if that lever valve supplies the zone valves which supply up and downstairs heating, then Id leave it open(inline), carefully feel the input and output pipes of the zone valves (Im assuming you have a zone up and downstairs? how many thermostats?) if one heating zone is warm and the other cold and one zone valve is hot in and out and the other is just hot or maybe even only warm coming to the input, but colder at the output then its probably a zone valve.

Id consult a plumber if you are unfamiliar

Thanks for the input.
    Can you tell me what is an "air bleed"? Is this the small cylindrical thingy with a red screw/cap for releasing air? I do remember the service engineer release some air from it.

Yes, I do want heating and hot water at the same time as this was working before in the past before service.

Yes, I have two zone thermostats - one upstairs and one downstairs. I checked both and both set to 24C and appear to be in working order. When I have the valve open (inline) - both sides of the valve are very hot as far as I can remember and cold when closed. Need to double check this evening. When open, only 3 rads are cold downstairs, but all the other rads around the house, both upstairs and downstairs are working fine. That particular valve probably just covers those zones (i.e. those 3 Rads?). Unfortunately I don't know if these were added radiators as I did not consult the previous owners when I bought the house.

I suspect there may not be enough pressure in the system for whatever reason when valve is open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Im not a plumber, Im just going on what I know
    An air bleed is a where you can allow trapped air escape, If you dont know what an air bleed is then I wouldnt really attempt to bleed and refill. As you have to allow something in to replace the air you want to escape, plus you will lose pressure as the exisiting water has to then fill a greater volume and needs to be replaced and it will have to be at a certain pressure.

You also never mentioned if the zone valves were hot at both of their inputs/outputs or how many other rads are working downstairs compared to how many not,

It might be best to call a plumber.

Id assume its likely all the rads downstairs on the same zone, but maybe not, you could try turn up the stat to max, maybe its a faulty stat though possibly.

cerastes wrote: »
    Im not a plumber, Im just going on what I know
    An air bleed is a where you can allow trapped air escape, If you dont know what an air bleed is then I wouldnt really attempt to bleed and refill. As you have to allow something in to replace the air you want to escape, plus you will lose pressure as the exisiting water has to then fill a greater volume and needs to be replaced and it will have to be at a certain pressure.

You also never mentioned if the zone valves were hot at both of their inputs/outputs or how many other rads are working downstairs compared to how many not,

It might be best to call a plumber.

Id assume its likely all the rads downstairs on the same zone, but maybe not, you could try turn up the stat to max, maybe its a faulty stat though possibly.

I have air bleed the radiators that weren't working but to avail of no success.

The zone valve in question is hot at both ends when I have the valve open and cold when closed.

Do you know how one does a refill and if not for the faint hearted, looks like I may need a plumber. In any case, still learning a lot from you guys!

UPDATE: Yesterday morning, I opened the valve in question again to ensure I get hot water to take a shower and noticed in the evening and this morning, all rads are working now downstairs. I didn't open the valve fully but believe water is flowing in the input and output. I suspect if I opened it fully, it shouldn't make any difference now but left it as is since I'm getting plenty of hot water and the rads are nice an hot downstairs. Still very strange why it's working again now but maybe there some airlock or not enough pressure which resolved itself in the last day or two. It's still probable the issue may rear it's ugly head again at which point, I think i will get a plumber in to resolve once and for all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement