Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP Shutdown Issue

Options
  • 08-11-2013 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Occasionally, usually upon start-up but not always, Windows shuts down....'Windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer.....Technical info is provided in a string of numerical data........'Beginning dump of physical memory'.......'Check for adequate disk space, if driver is identified in the stop message, disable driver or check for updates. Try changing video adapters. Check with hardware vendor for BIOS updates' etc. etc.

I am using a Dell Latitude D830 laptop which is obviously out-of-warranty. The HD is a 300GB with 90% free. Can anyone please help me with this issue:

As this is an intermittent issue, I am reluctant taking the laptop to a repair workshop for obvious reasons. Is there anything I can do or check myself, I have re-installed Windows some time ago, checked that the correct drivers were installed etc. etc. and regularly do the usual housekeeping tasks. For instance, how do I check for BIOS updates? What does changing video adapters mean? Any help will be greatly appreciated, but please do not be too technical!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Install BlueScreenView and copy / paste the text from the error so we can help identify the issue.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/bluescreenview_setup.exe

bluescreenview.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Thanks for your advice, advertsfox. Have installed BluescreenView and below are the results. Can you identify any issues from the this list? Thanks again.

Mini110613-01.dmp 06/11/2013 22:00:20 KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED 0x1000008e 0xc0000005 0xbf866016 0xb7a72ae4 0x00000000 win32k.sys win32k.sys+66016 Multi-User Win32 Driver Microsoft® Windows® Operating System Microsoft Corporation 5.1.2600.6442 (xpsp_sp3_qfe.130829-0416) 32-bit win32k.sys+66016 win32k.sys+660ea win32k.sys+e0c49 win32k.sys+e1141 C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini110613-01.dmp 2 15 2600 106,496 06/11/2013 22:01:03

ntoskrnl.exe ntoskrnl.exe+3759bcf0 0x804d7000 0x806e5000 0x0020e000 0x51d4d90f 04/07/2013 02:08:15 Microsoft® Windows® Operating System NT Kernel & System 5.1.2600.6419 (xpsp_sp3_qfe.130704-0421) Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    win32k.sys win32k.sys+66016 0xbf800000 0xbf9caa80 0x001caa80 0x521ea476 29/08/2013 01:31:34 Microsoft® Windows® Operating System Multi-User Win32 Driver 5.1.2600.6442 (xpsp_sp3_qfe.130829-0416) Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\win32k.sys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Back up all your data to an external device (usb or external drive). I vaguely remember getting occurrences of that before the hard drive expired.

That's no necessarily related to a bad hard drive, rather data corruption on the disk. I recommend a full CHKDSK first and see what the results are:
    1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type cmd, and then press Enter.
    3. In the window, type chkdsk volume:/F and then press Enter.

NOTE: If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:
    Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? Just press Y in this case.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265#method1

After this, a Windows XP repair may be advised. OP, when was the last time you installed Windows? This laptop will handle Windows 7 no problem.

Thanks for response advertsfox - I did not consider that it was a HD issue, as suggested by FSL as a new HD was fitted in April last and Windows XP was re-installed successfully after that installation. I have already checked the HD for errors prior to the original post and all appeared to be OK on that front. Any other suggestions or is there any advantage in running it again?

• Advertisement

Maidhci wrote: »
    Thanks for response advertsfox - I did not consider that it was a HD issue, as suggested by FSL as a new HD was fitted in April last and Windows XP was re-installed successfully after that installation. I have already checked the HD for errors prior to the original post and all appeared to be OK on that front. Any other suggestions or is there any advantage in running it again?
    The error is not related to a physical fault and there is no need to re-run the CHKDSK. I suggest a repair XP installation using the XP CD - actually, I hugely advise the upgrade to Windows 7 if possible, your trying to resolve an issue with a 13 year old OS with a computer than will handle Windows 7 no problem (is your GPU Intel or nVidia)?

Thanks for response again - I can run the repair from XP installation disk - can you please confirm that this will not delete any files etc., as happens with a complete XP installation. I don't think it does, but would just like to be sure. Re. the installation to Windows 7, actually decided some time ago to let the XP run its course on this PC, apart from this it is working a treat for me and this is only an intermittent problem, at the moment. What is GPU Intel or nVidia? Appreciate your advice.

Thanks for response again - I can run the repair from XP installation disk - can you please confirm that this will not delete any files etc., as happens with a complete XP installation. I don't think it does, but would just like to be sure. Re. the installation to Windows 7, actually decided some time ago to let the XP run its course on this PC, apart from this it is working a treat for me and this is only an intermittent problem, at the moment. What is GPU Intel or nVidia? Appreciate your advice.
    No this won't affect files at all, it reinstalls all Windows files in case of errors / corruption. It's accessed by starting the XP Installation and before letting the process begin, you can press R to repair (it doesn't have to be the disc from your PC, just has to be the same version eg. Professional SP2).

XPRepair2a.png

NVidia or Intel are the 2 makers of the built in graphics on that Dell model. You can find out by right clicking the Desktop > Properties > Display.

Thanks again. The system has a NVIDIA Quadro Graphics Chip. Hope this is what you mean.

Thanks again. The system has a NVIDIA Quadro Graphics Chip. Hope this is what you mean.
    Very good, that means you won't have an Aero issues upgrading to Windows 7 (transparency and fancy effects).

• Advertisement

Thanks for all your help advertsfox, it is much appreciated. Will do a Windows XP repair tomorrow and hopefully that will help stabilise the situation.

I have found XP to be a very stable OS hence my reasoning in not upgrading to Windows 7. As a matter of fact, when I purchased this laptop it was being shipped with Vista Pro but Dell were providing an option to 'downgrade' to XP which I happily accepted.

Advertisement