Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the deal with those socks?

• 08-11-2013 12:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭

Probably about as trivial a topic as you can get in football (which means FIFA will probably call an EGM to discuss a rule change on it), but has anyone else noticed quite a few players of late wearing these socks with a load of dots on them?

In the last 2-3 weeks along I've seen them on Bale, Sturridge, Pilkington, Tiote, Ashley Young and Kasami (and a few players in the FAI Cup final too) - is this the newest football 'fashion trend', a bit like the snood a few years ago?

For those of you wondering what the hell I'm on about, Danny Sturridge is wearing them here...

shelvey-6037317.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Haven't noticed.

Are the dots supposed to do something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

I have no idea. It all seems a bit daft to me, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

they suppose to help prevent blisters
    there called trusox

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

The mail had a piece on this before, Google Gareth Bales socks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

It's just a marketing effort to get suckers to pay £25+ for an extra pair of socks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Heard that they were supposed to make you turn quicker and accelerate easier. Not sure how true that is or how it would even work but I was at a game at the BCFC academy last week and a load of the kids were wearing them so I asked the academy director about it. He said they can wear what they want if it makes them think they will be better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Heard that they were supposed to make you turn quicker and accelerate easier. Not sure how true that is or how it would even work but I was at a game at the BCFC academy last week and a load of the kids were wearing them so I asked the academy director about it. He said they can wear what they want if it makes them think they will be better :)

tumblr_m3ud0ugSOO1qf6i04.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

if you get blisters you're wearing the wrong boots.

Simple

Addidas World Cup boots
    Addidas Copa Mundial Astro.

Never wlll you blister again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Full Socks ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Get a few famous players wearing them and make up a stupid story about how they make you better at football. Every kid in the world has to have them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Wasn't there some sort of earth stoney gem thing players and athletes recently used to wear because it had some magic bean properties?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,064 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Bit like that tape that Bale also wears on his thighs.

Sure they have convinced every casual footballer aged 5 - 55 that they really need to drink Lucozade Sport to be better at football already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

NIMAN wrote: »
    Bit like that tape that Bale also wears on his thighs.

Sure they have convinced every casual footballer aged 5 - 55 that they really need to drink Lucozade Sport to be better at football already.

Next they will be telling us that food provides energy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I think there should be a photo shop competition for the pic in the OP.
    Danny appears to be handing something over....but whatttt?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Wasn't there some sort of earth stoney gem thing players and athletes recently used to wear because it had some magic bean properties?

http://www.powerbalance.de/

These things? I remember c ronaldo wore them, they were proven to be complete BS by someone, can't remember who or where, but still doesn't stop them being for sale!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

theteal wrote: »
    It's just a marketing effort to get suckers to pay £25+ for an extra pair of socks
    Genius really, I need to work on my get rich quick schemes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭Paddy Fields

Remember that thing that Robbie Fowler (for one) had on his nose, that aided breathing or some such cobblers. It was revealed to be a load of bollox IIRC.

Advertisement